Thomas Weisel Partners

Thom Weisel

Good compay

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Thomas Weisel Partners as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly
    Hard working
    Intelligent researchers
    Good office location

Cons

The work life balance could be better

None

Now owned by Stifel Nicholas in St. Louis

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thomas Weisel Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None, boring place to work. No room for growth. Male dominated company. Poor employee morale.

Cons

Stifel had sticker shock from SF EA salaries and I believe salary offer amounts for EA roles declined after TWP was purchased.

Got bought recently - but it is a good tech-focused investment bank with great talent

Former Employee - Analyst Then Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst Then Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thomas Weisel Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Talent, Competitiveness, Aligned Interests, the feeling of beating Goldman on a deal.

Cons

Management wasn't A+, deal flow was spotty sometimes

N/A

A NIGHTMARE

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thomas Weisel Partners full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent work/life balance. THE only pro.

Cons

Thomas Weisel is unfair and ruthless...every day was a nightmare reporting to this guy who blew a fuse on any given moment. Rage beyond professionalism.

Good overall place to work; acquired by Stifel Financial in 2010

Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thomas Weisel Partners full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Had great entrepreneurial spirit in early days. People could really carve out their own space and go out and generate business. More challenging days after 2001.

Cons

Has a reputation for being a cut-throat place, which I didn't think was entirely fair. I was always treated evenly and given opportunity.

Nothing to add now that company has been acquired.

Good learning experience

Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomas Weisel Partners

Pros

Decent lifestyle balance if you are on the right team. Good place to learn the basics of financial statement analysis, stock selection, and to learn about an industry. Great offices

Cons

Compensation has fallen well behind peers. Sometimes you can get stuck as a research associate with not much career advancement opportunity within the firm.

The company needs to pay people that have put in their time The company feels as though the research associate position is easy to fill, and therefore does not feel like it is necessary to pay them well. People have been angry about President's salary for years-he should lead by example and take a paycut

Running on Empty

Former Employee - Managing Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Managing Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thomas Weisel Partners

Pros

Name recognition is good. Headquarters in San Francisco. Boutique size firm. There are pockets of intelligent, hard working people within the firm.

Cons

Disconnect between upper management and front lines. Management decisions concerning growth opportunities and direction of firm are questionable. Small market capitalization inhibits ability to compete with larger rivals. Lack of IPO's over the last two years has highlighted TWPG's dependence on deal flow. Th

Unwind the horrendous Westwind Partners deal and get back to core competancies...trading stocks and investment banking. TWPG spent way too much capital for near nothing in return.

Associate - Equity Research

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Thomas Weisel Partners

Pros

Smaller than large firms typically means you get more exposure at a young age

Cons

Senior management leaves something to be desired which lead me to question future of firm

Focus more long term strategy for the firm, invest in young in talent like you used to (loyal employees versus rotating door of expensive hires)

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Research Associate
    Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at Thomas Weisel Partners

Pros

I worked at TWP straight out of college. While many banks and consulting firms describe themselves as having a collegiate atmosphere, TWP actually lives up to the promise. I would routinely find myself tossing around the pig skin with my coworkers at 11pm while waiting for the days work to go out. There is very little feelings of competition with your coworkers and aside fromn everyone bitching about how pay isnt that competitive, everyone is pretty happy. For example, even though i am two years out, I I had dinner with two of my coworkers just a few days ago.

Cons

This may seem like an obvious observation but trust me, it’ll hit you after your first week of working at home. Consider this: your buddies wake up in the morning, get dressed, take a drive, get to the office, have some lunch, get back on the road, and then return home. Meanwhile, you’ve been there the whole time. This may seem like a sweet deal at first, but you may find yourself growing a bit tired of the environment - you are, after all, there 24/7. No matter how great of a work environment you’ve set up for yourself, a static environment can sometimes suck the life out of you. This pain point hits home the hardest at the end of the day when you’re simply dying to get out. The problem is, your buddies are all relieved to finally be back home and don’t have the energy to head out to the bar with you. Suddenly a drive out to the gas station is a major treat.

Be more straightforward.

Decent place to work depending on the your job

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thomas Weisel Partners

Pros

Location, nice colleagues, positive culture, reasonable pay (for middle market bank). The culture is generally positive and there is not a lot of office politics.

Cons

TWP is not well-run from an operational perspective, senior mgmt doesn't always seem to be make good decisions. It's probably a decent place to work if you are in back office or administration. Until very recently the company was over staffed with upper management and administrative/back office. It has gotten better after several rounds off layoffs but for such a small company (600 or so employees) it can actually be somewhat bureaucratic.

See above