Thomasville Furniture

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ed Teplitz

Rode hard and put away wet

ProsThere are some really good people (at all levels) that are always doing their best and make the job seem palatable at times.

ConsThey are far outweighed by clueless drones in upper management backslapping each other and their answer to profits (that they are responsible for but cannot seem to obtain through their mismanagement, apathy and 'asleep-at-the-switch' management decisions have provided) is to close shop in locations (because it has to be someone else's fault, right?... cant be theirs... because they are management and they... oh yeah, thats right...responsible for managing the company into this mess... Nah! as they push their flacid, slack face back into the trough of bonus's. The solution should be mass layoffs rather than advertise and provide meaningful stewardship... because they are late for their next golf date or management meeting in Vegas.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue

Chaos is a mainstay.

Design Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsThe work is fun helping clients to find just the right furnishings for their space.

ConsThe incentive plan has been changed 3 times in 6 months. It is hard to feed a family on the crumbs they are trying to provide. The latest and greatest sales plan is now tiered to less dollars and (starting in August) based on products delivered (versus sold). The plan no longer provides for team goals or home visits. A true sales plan should incentive behavior that the sales person can impact. How can a sales person impact delivery times? You will be losing the other half of your sales force with this new plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue! You need to advertise the product and ensure quality is the standard.

Operations Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe designers I worked with were amazing people and you have lasting friends.

ConsPay is not great, You work a lot of hours and be expected to work even when off the clock. No raises if you are doing a good job they just give you more until you are over whelmed to the point were you fail. The upper management takes all the credit and just yells about what still needs more work. Got rid of all the behind the scenes people at the store level leaving the store to fall apart.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to value your employees and really look to see who is doing the work and who is just talking around actually doing anything.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very sad place!

Designer (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsThe people I worked with on a daily basis were fantastic. Before new ownership and management on upper level came it was a great place to work. Hard work but rewards were there before March 2014.

ConsNew CEO is so uncaring and new management keeps saying things will get better but it has been chaos since last summer. I was a very high producer but company gave a new commission structure and now you have to sell 55,000 dollars a month just to clear your draw of $2000 a month. It is so unreasonable. Also they give you so many extra jobs to do because they fired all the office and visual staff. They expect huge sales but with no advertising how is it possible? When I left my new regional manager didn't even care, I thought I could get my feelings out but what's the use. I am very sad, thought I had a future with this company. Some stores are operating with skeletal staffs because so many have left. Ed Teplitz is not the CEO, and has been out for one year now.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue and stop taking all the money for yourselves, you have managers in place to promote up but instead you take from outside and they know nothing. You need to value your salespeople, we are not living in million dollar houses, we are hard working people who have bills to pay.

Stressful with little benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Thomasville, NC

ProsIt started out as a good work experience. The other people in my department were friendly and hard working, but then there were so many lay offs by the end, hardly anyone was left. Discount for the furniture was a plus.

ConsOverwork and do not compensate for their employees. Kept taking away benefits and constant layoffs so there is no job security. Then if you are left, you have to do double the work with the same pay as before.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management do not care about furniture or the company, they care about their bonus, that's it.

Company reorganization has been a fiasco for those of us on the frontline....Salespeople, Design Consultants.

Interior Design Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsThomasville offers many nice products and we have a beautiful showroom of these products. A pleasant retail environment to work in. Incredible coworkers!

ConsVery inconsistent and sporadic information sent to the front lines regarding the reorganization, new products, fabrics, trims etc. Production schedules have been incredibly long and inconsistent. new fabrics and trims still not available,. We are told many hard lines and upholstery items are also no longer available but no definite information to salespeople making it very difficult to sell honestly to customers. Information regarding product and fabric changes weekly and in some cases daily from upper corporate management.

Advice to Senior ManagementReorganization of such a large company is difficult I am certain! However the lack of consideration for those of us who actually sell the product has been shameful. I along with all of my seasoned and dedicated fellow designers and salespeople are looking hard for other employment. We can no longer afford to work at a company that notifies you three weeks after the sale the fabric is no longer available. I have more cancellations than I can count. So very sad that corporate management (existing or new) has so little regard for the commissioned folks that pay their salaries! Good luck Thomasville!

It was a good learning experience, but the retail hours can be long.

Design Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsI worked with a great staff. The company was just starting to update their look and design.

ConsPoor management and the company does not really care about its staff.

I learned a lot there, great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits and bonus

Consyou work like a slave

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Much better one year ago

Designer (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsUpper management has no respect for employees

mixed blessing

Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsGained great experience as a store manager.

ConsThe wheels are falling off the bus with the recent bankruptcy and realignment. Poor customer service support resulted in many hostile clients. Moving away from their core consumer trying to be something they are not.

Advice to Senior ManagementSkip this company for now there is no job security.

Worked for Thomasville Furniture? Contribute to the Community!