Thomasville Furniture

mixed blessing

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Thomasville Furniture full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gained great experience as a store manager.

Cons

The wheels are falling off the bus with the recent bankruptcy and realignment. Poor customer service support resulted in many hostile clients. Moving away from their core consumer trying to be something they are not.

Skip this company for now there is no job security.

Thomasville was a learning experience

Former Employee - Design Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Thomasville Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

It takes a true pro to find the positive here. Don't let the fancy title fool you. They do not care about your designs, they care about your sales.

Cons

A competitive environment full of unsatisfied co-workers makes for a rough go. The retail hours are never fun. The company is constantly restructuring pay and commission compensation to their advantage. The pressure to sell will suffocate you.

Thomasville Furniture

I worked at Thomasville Furniture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved the work, love my store managers

Cons

Company forgot that support staff was just as important as sales staff.

That you remember the support staff is just as important as sales staff. We gave 200% to try and help save this company and all we got was laid off as a thank you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No job security, no strong management no customer service

I worked at Thomasville Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

Beautiful furniture, great designers, good benefits

Cons

Plan on working every weekend you are employed with them. No work/life balance unless you're 60 and have no kids or other family members you want to see. No job security. Company has horrible customer service and their sales decrease and lack of money shows. Revolving door for employees. Save yourself some time and a trip to the unemployment office and don't work here.

Value your employees and your customers, they are ultimately the people who make your company successful.

"Optimism quickly demolished"

Former Employee - Interior Design Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Interior Design Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Thomasville Furniture full-time for more than a year

Pros

They tend to hire well qualified designers who know their products and have wonderful design experience. I was one of them. The furniture is very fashion-foward with a great variety of design and style choices. The furniture was well priced and had value.

Cons

Thomasville didn't have a team in upper management that understood how to market the brand both nationally and locally. There wasn't a marketing budget, they were just hoping people would find the stores and make purchases. The foot traffic in the store I was in didn't support the financial goals or allow any of the designers to make a decent living. Now the parent company is in bankruptcy and the fate of Thomasville Furniture retail is unknown.

Not sure what to tell management now, except whoever buys the Thomasville brand needs to have a marketing/advertising plan that is multi-layered and aggressive, online social media driven. I would also restructure the compensation plan so they can attract good designers who will sell like crazy and make the company money while keeping the integrity of the legendary brand intact.

Boring, boring, and boring. No traffic.

Current Employee - Interior Design Consultant
    Current Employee - Interior Design Consultant

I have been working at Thomasville Furniture full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The furniture is wonderful. The company has been great for so many years, hope it will be around many more years. The national addvertizing is good. The lead time on custom uph. is amazing. 35 days! The options on uph. is some of the best in the industry. I've been in the industry a long time and I love the Thomasville products. I've hung in here waiting for a change in our store.

Cons

Our store is not run very well. Favorite co-workers are handed everything and the rest are treated like the "Red headed step child". The working environment is not happy and there for not good for business. Clients can fell it. We are starving here.

Local management....What management! Some guy that sleeps all day. Get a new manager.

IT Manager

Former Employee - IT Manager  in  Appomattox, VA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Appomattox, VA

I worked at Thomasville Furniture full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay, good benefits, management not to demanding. I had fun, and it was good while it lasted.

Cons

Chemical exposure, bad working conditions - dust, paint, lint, VERY old buildings, ancient employees that are rarely trained in how to do their jobs correctly.

REPLACE the computers on a REGULAR schedule, every 3 to 5 years.. Get RID of the JUNK. it makes life VERY difficult to have to spend 80-90% of your time taking care of 5-10 year old computers that should have been put into the dumpster years ago.

Worst company I've ever worked for.

I worked at Thomasville Furniture full-time for more than a year

Pros

(Most of) the people I worked with. Customers who became clients who became friends. Not being required to pay back the difference in unmet quotas out of pocket.

Cons

Working every single weekend. Difficult to maintain good quality of life outside of work with very restrictive policies for time off. Taking hits on commission for company/operations mistakes and product details not disclosed to designers. Treatment from upper management all the way down to lower management. Terrible customer service policies...the company values its customers as much as its employees. Lack of national advertising directly impacts store traffic--very, very cheap company, from advertising, to store visuals, to cleanliness...you have to spend money to make money!

Previous companies I worked for went to great lengths to make their employees feel valued, appreciated and heard. The contrast at Thomasville was startling. The designers at Thomasville were often blamed for company woes and therefore punished in either direct or indirect ways. Pay was terrible. Monthly quotas were difficult to reach, commission hard to gain. Designers were constantly treated as a problem and like children. Management went through a revolving door.

See cons and fix all of it. Treat your employees with respect. Value them. Let them have a voice. Then watch your company thrive.

Thomasville Furniture Is not your parents' Thomasville

I worked at Thomasville Furniture full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, base pay instead of draw

Cons

The furniture, much of which is made in China, is no longer up to its reputation for quality. There is NO job security for sales/design consultants. No matter how well you've done the rest of the year, if you miss your goals for the latest quarter, you are automatically fired. Then they hire someone else in your place, so there is a constant revolving door. Thus very good salespeople have little time to build a following. Quarterly goals are all that matters.

Thankful for Employment but Stressful!!!!!

Current Employee - Design Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Thomasville Furniture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great product line, good health insurance offered. Pay is good when your manager has a good sense for how many Design Consultants are appropriate for their store and has good operations support.

Cons

Long delays in fabrics and furniture inventory.(4+ months) Very lengthy order entry process. Not enough administrative help on the store level. Consultants expected to answer phones, enter orders, open or close store, keep track of when they are up, meet sales minimums and follow up with customers.Turnover of store management and store administrators has been constant.

Hire fewer sales consultants and more well trained, well paid, professional, administrative help at store level to retain good managers and office administrators. Then the consultants can spend time on doing what they do best, selling and exceeding their stores sales goals.

Worked for Thomasville Furniture? Contribute to the Community!