Thompson Creek Window Co.

www.thompsoncreek.com

Rick Wuest

1. Great company. I hear they

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I worked at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

TC knows how to have fun! I've been so many company functions and it was always a great time with everybody. everyone there definitely works hard and plays hard.

Cons

sometimes you have to work late but it all works out

Advice to Management

make sure you keep telling everyone they did a good job

2. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture is fun, exciting and engaging. You have opportunities to succeed and the tools are given to you. The people are great, the managers are awesome to work with as well. The company has a great reputation and is known around the Baltimore/Washington DC area very well because of it's extensive marketing on mass media. Working for a brand that is well known helps sales, marketing, fulfillment and all other sides of the business. Company's senior leadership are made up of independent thinkers and innovators. There is no doubt in my mind this company is going places.

Cons

I feel the IT component of the business is behind which can create lags in productivity in the workplace. I don't believe it is a talent issue, just understaffed.

Advice to Management

In order to keep top talent, I believe that the pay scale will need to improve. I believe it is losing talent because of the tremendous competition for skilled employees in the Washington DC/Baltimore Metropolitan region.

3. Awesome Company

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co.

Pros

Lots of room for advancement. Benefits. Company events. Contests and Prizes. Food Truck Fridays. Free Gym access and Health meetings each month.

Cons

I do not have any at this time.

5. Opportunity

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time

Pros

Thompson Creek provides a great opportunity for growth. We are constantly evolving to create the best customer experience in the industry as well as a fun and exciting work environment. At any given time you can find the owners floating through the hallways with huge smiles asking, "is there anything you need" or "is there anything I can do for you" which gives the company that small business feel. It's definitely exciting to be! This company is going to do great things and it's clear that they have their employees in mind always.

Cons

If you are not a person who can adapt easily to change, this may not be the place for you. With a company that is growing this quickly, we again are constantly evolving.

6. Not for faint of heart

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No cold calling, uncapped commission, ability to help people improve their homes. I like to drive so this is great, 200 miles a day minimum.

Cons

If you don't self generate leads, you'll never support yourself let alone a family. Zero opportunity for short term growth. Management has their favorites and for good reason, they stuck it out. If you don't mind going from ghetto to ghetto for at least two years and eating their garbage with a smile, this isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Scale down the number of reps, stop canvassing the SE DC beltway region from oxon hill to capitol heights and everywhere in between. Few can afford cash jobs, or get approved financing. Do more with less, focus on Virginia and NW DC metro area, AA county

7. Don't Do It

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pro's of working for this company if any would include poor health insurance, income, and getting to enjoy the resonance of the cult like chant of "We are...Thompson Creek." If you want to move your desk 100 times and deal with customers just as inept as management, this might be the place for you.

Cons

Let's see, the managers top down are incompetent. The systems in place use antiquated technology. Analysis of the supply chain system and other processes festers on a trial and error cycle of rotation. One errant method is used until it fails and then another haphazard system takes its place. The only real way to move up is to sleep your way there. The number of vacation days is dismal. Sick leave policy is shoddy at best. You really should come in, always. If you work hard enough and long enough, you will be fired. The turnover rate for both employees and managers is insane. I personally have worked under five managers for the same department in less than two years time. Just don't even think about it.

Advice to Management

Rethink your product, they subpar standards used to install it, the way you organize your supply chain and customer service system, etc. Basically change everything. It is not working anyway.

8. Misleading opportunity

Former Employee - Sales in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Sales in Lanham, MD

I worked at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time

Pros

A few people make it, most do not

Cons

They forced me to sign a non-complete on my first day without any prior notice. It's an old boys club. If you are in, you get lots of good leads. If you are new, it's sink or swim. Very few leads, had to drive a lot. They lied about income potential. 2/3 of all hires wash out. They claim they have integrity, but lied about their gutter product, which they claim is theirs. Check Gutter Shutter out of Cincinnati.

Advice to Management

Be more honest with potential employees about non-compete, number of leads, income potential.

9. Thompson creek great company to work for

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co.

Pros

Make alot of money, good if your in college

Cons

Long hours and lots of travel

10. An excellent opportunity that you have to fight to maintain!

Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Support Representative in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Thompson Creek is a local home improvement company that's been in business since 1980. Even though they still make mistakes, they stand behind their products and uphold their values 100%. They've come a long way and have a decent pay plan in place. Also, management cares about your success and will work with you to help you improve.

Cons

That being said, they still care more about the numbers and immediate results. While the managers will work with you, they don't mind wasting their investment and cutting their losses at the moment they've decided that your improvement is too little too late.

Advice to Management

Management needs to focus on the human and not the resource. The managers invest a lot of time in their teams. When a rep has been shown where they're failing and starts to show improvement, investing a bit more time than two weeks from the written warning isn't much more of a risk - give it a month.

11. Field Marketer Northern Virginia Team

Current Employee - Field Marketer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Field Marketer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co.

Pros

I have an excellent Team Leader, who is very generous, and works hard to train the guys individually, noticing their strengths and finds there weaknesses and trains to overcome them. All the guys I work with are fun to be/work with, and have a real team attitude. You can't find that in most jobs. The hourly pay is very good, and the commissions are great, motivating you to learn the best Technics because the opportunity is there to make a lucrative paycheck. You are paid 6 hrs when in reality you are only marketing 4-41/2 hrs a day. The company model, and reputation is built on honesty, and integrity, which they have been awarded for many times. You are helping people get information so they can improve their home with the best, most beautiful, and highest quality products they can get, and your job is to get that information in there hands so they can see how affordable we are. You are combating the companies that just want to make a quick buck, fooling people into paying top dollar for mediocre products (and installation) that will need replacing. Price buyers are twice buyers and that is what they want.
               The Thompson Creek name is so well respected, you get treated with respect by many homeowners, making the job much easier. There is room for advancement especially now when we are getting ready to expand in a big way.The head of marketing, well 2nd, is very generous as well, giving us opportunities to make extra $$ (real money) through rainy day bonuses $50.00 and an extra $15 per set on windows, $100.00 team bonus every pay period for who gets most issues per hour worked, gives crews $250 gift cards to go out as a team to Buffalo Wild Wings or wherever they choose. things that he don't have to do. They do it for us. We have a meeting a couple times a year that includes BBQ, Football, and a chance to win $100.00 2X by memorizing certain things like the Co. Motto and say it the fastest. We memorize important definitions like Teamwork, Integrity, Overall we have a great time together at work and outside of work. We had an elegant Black tie Christmas Party where we met the president and are treated like the important part of T.C. that we have enjoyed working to become.
                we are given all the statistics the office has every week (cancel reports, Set to issue ratio, monthly stats ) on each person so we can see where we are at, what we have done, and what we can work on improving (as well as what you can help your colleague with) and become better and make better money.
                      It is a great job unless this is something your just not cut out to do. Not everyone can be a waiter, for instance. But waiters and waitresses would be great at it. ( I was one) It is not for everyone. T.C. has the Torch Award from the BBB and that is for highest standards in honesty and integrity towards the Customers, The employees, and the Community, and they earned and keep up that standard. Our customers Love our products, as well as our service. We do provide the best customer experience in our industry, and people are proud to have our windows, doors, gutters and siding in their homes because we stand out in quality and our installers are amazingly good. Most people would say " If I could get it done right the first time, and never have to worry about it ever again, I will pay the money for that. We present them with the opportunity to get just that. We have fun, really care about and enjoy working together, and with just a little motivation to learn and grow,we make very good money. Collage students can make great money and T.C. allows you to work 3,4,or 5 days because they put your education above all else. They do many things in their business practices that make sense, like the president e-mailing us about the plans for the new plant, the property they bout etc. to all of us, thanking us for making it possible. I've made $38.00 hr for two weeks before, over $30 week most of the time, and average about $31.00 hr!! People who know our company respect you.
           There is also a suggestion card that your ideas to improve the Company do make it up to the powers that be and are listened to. They are smart enough to know we have valuable ideas that can help the company. I turned one in and it was used. If you go the xtra mile, help others, and really show a motivation to improve and try to reach your potential, while helping others and the team, it is recognized and awarded. Now, I am only talking about my crew, and do not know if the other crews have it as good in some of the areas I mentioned, but I believe they are similar.

Cons

You must deal with people who are just mean and rude just to be that way , and you must know how to let that go immediately. knowing you are making more $$ than them probably, can help with that. There are so many nice, good respectful too, and those are the ones that should get to you. The winter weather and rainy days are hard, only if you do not invest in the proper apparel. I dreaded winter, but thanks to my wife I am very warm, dry and comfortable. It is worth the investment. There is a quota of (by ratio) of 4 issues per 5 day work week, (x)# issues 4 day, etc. but most people make that every week.

Advice to Management

I would like to know the involvement we have had in giving back to the community. I know we want to be humble, but people deserve to know they are doing business with a company that help Habitat for humanity and kids programs. I think it would Help them (and us) decide we are worth looking more into. I would like some more marketing training programs from upper management since they know more about the stat numbers and where we are struggling from time to time. (Like the "It's the Holidays" objection.

RSS Feed </> Embed