Thompson Hospitality

Warren M. Thompson

great first hospitality experience with Thompson Hospitality

Former Employee - Host
    Former Employee - Host

I worked at Thompson Hospitality part-time for less than a year

Pros

good pay, nice people, flexible hours

Cons

disorganized, need better upper management, turnover

If only zero stars were an option...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Thompson Hospitality full-time

Pros

Pros...pros...well, there are a handful of people within the company that you genuinely don't mind working hard for. Will that make you stay, no; but it's a pro, I guess.

Cons

Complete disregard for employees as people with needs, feelings, opinions, and intelligence. Arbitrary pay practices. Leadership fosters cliques and a culture of abuse. Virtually zero training at any level but you will be expected to make miracles happen and if you don't, you're done. Severe lack of consistency or established policies and procedures; decisions are made on a whim. The company is ran like a plantation which is disheartening considering that it is black owned.

Self-reflection is needed on the part of senior leadership. The company is bigger than any single executive and/or middle manager. Thompson could be great and there are dedicated, talented people that want to make that happen. The current culture of the company will see those individuals leave and go on to better ran organizations. Learn how to be respectful and how to value the people that help make the company run. The most successful companies know how to engage their employees through respect, meaningful work, competitive pay and benefits, and embracing innovative, independent thinkers. Currently, all of these things are discouraged at Thompson in favor of cowardly yes-men.

Run as far as possible

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Thompson Hospitality full-time for less than a year

Pros

Staff members, a few H.R. staff and one traveling D.O.

Cons

After sending in my resignation with notice they terminated my employment a few days later. They have one of the largest turn overs in the corporate office and the units themselves that I have ever witnessed in a restaurant. (Red flag) No systems in place for training. Even the employee handbook is outdated. Menu is uninspiring. Tap Tap shrimp stolen from Bonefish (Bang Bang Shrimp) Calamari app stolen from Miller's Ale House are just two examples. The sad part is they take pride in doing these things, whenever there is a General Manager meeting, they even brag about it. On new menu roll outs they will not allow the chef to try nothing new because "they do not eat it" or my favorite response "that is not a salad, it does not have lettuce" you might laugh, but I am being absolutely serious. Treatment of the management staff by some of the corporate higher ups is just down right disrespectful. If you are not part of the clique, good luck on getting your opinion heard or receiving any respect. I heard horror stories of these types of experiences just never thought I would be one of them in this day and age.

There are lots of vermin in your group. Take an outsiders look at who you surrounded yourself with and clean house.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What a horrible place to work

Former Employee - Chef Manager  in  Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Chef Manager in Augusta, GA

I worked at Thompson Hospitality full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is slightly better than some other companies out there. They use alot of technology to make things flow smoothly.

Cons

I was misled from day one by the recruiter and numerous other employees. I was asked to do things that would cause the customer to have a porr experience. The company is geared towards making profit at all costs. The company issues orders, but then refuses to supply the items needed. Everything about this company is horrible, and working for them as been a horrible burden that is now gone.

Try to actually run a managed services company, and stop lying to new hires.

My experience at Thompson Hospitality was eye opening.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Thompson Hospitality

Pros

They have a good Benefits package.

Cons

Senior Level Management are very secretive, you can not get anyone in the Corporate Office to speak directly and plainly with you. If they feel they have a reason, they will push you out while smiling the entire time.
    There is no human element involved in the business, it's like a machine and is run as such, which is unfortunate considering it has the ability to be very innovative and generous.

My advice would be to get some sensitivity training in how to treat your employees as people first, employees second. Give back to those that work so hard to make your organization successful. Build a caring atmosphere and transparent operation.

Exciting Company with Many perks and opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Thompson Hospitality

Pros

endless opportunities for any field. Team work environment.

Cons

Salary is average but theres a bonus so makes it even.

Keep an eye on restaurant/unit managers...

my stepping stone in a nut shell

I have been working at Thompson Hospitality full-time

Pros

steady pay check, lots of time off given,

Cons

not nearly enough able to take any time off without putting the location in some type of distress

Servers are taken advantage of.

I have been working at Thompson Hospitality

Pros

Serving in general provides a flexible schedule. So if you are in a transient stage in your life this occupation could be a good fit.

Cons

Management is generally looking out for themselves and not the employees. Servers are routinely taken advantage of and blamed for mistakes that have nothing to do with them. Rather than a manager ask why did this happen it is commonly assumed that the server screwed up so its more about being chastised than finding solutions.
    There is currently a high turnover rate in servers working there.

Don't assume servers are in the wrong, more often then not they want to find a solution tot he problem. Communication on changes could be better.

Great experience.

I worked at Thompson Hospitality

Pros

The culture of the work environment is second to none. Also all employees at all levels are treated with great respect.

Cons

Not much opportunities for career advancement especially from entry level jobs. Also there is a considerable amount of travel involved.

I would advise management to give more opportunities for career advancement within the company and not always look for outside hires.

Very bad work environment

Current Employee - Food Service Manager
    Current Employee - Food Service Manager

I have been working at Thompson Hospitality

Pros

They do have a bonus program, which is very unique in todays Food Management companies. It is very interesting working in HBCU's.

Cons

They lie to you, the whole system is geared to screw the students, just so people can get their bonuses. They have no corporate structure or desire to improve themselves. They have horrible menus and even worse catering guides. Their marketing team is like a group loser from the 1970's, very out of date. They are out of touch with the students needs. They yell at the employees and treat them very badly. If they "know" you they give you far more food then you pay for, and then they take the money from the dining hall program, hurting the students even more.

I wish they would listen to employees more often and work to improve the company

Worked for Thompson Hospitality? Contribute to the Community!