Thompson Hospitality

Office Manager

Former Employee - Office Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Thompson Hospitality

Pros

University Setting. quarterly bonuses. There are opportunities to advance.

Cons

The pay is horrible and the hours are excessive. There is no work-life balance. Not for a person who has a family.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation to the people who work very hard for you. Show it to the managers.

2. Disorganized with poor moral on all levels

I worked at Thompson Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. There are a few good people still working for the company that keep the company afloat.

Cons

Managers are not treated like valuable assets, but more like mules. There is no work/life balance, you are expected to be on-call at anytime day/night/weekend. There is no training or professional development. There are a few great people left in the company and those people aren't treated well by upper management. High stress environment and the company is completely financially driven with no attention paid to boosting employee moral.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people and they will be loyal and work hard. Higher qualified people for the right positions instead of "yes men" that bow down to directors that are bullies.

3. Think twice!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Thompson Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I wish there were pros. It's a job?

Cons

Poor benefits. Unprofessional leadership. No training. No room for growth.

Advice to Management

This is the most unprofessional company. A lot of the comments on here are very accurate. Management is a joke. Management demonstrates poor leadership practices, provides no support, and will treat you like a number rather than a colleague. The organization is operated like a sweat shop and will set you back at least 200 years with its slave level practices. If you decide to work here, keep your resume in circulation. You will not want to stay with this organization long term. You'll only stay employed at this company if you're willing to be a yes man, a kiss up, and give up your life because you'll be working 24/7 including holidays. You will be better off accepting employment elsewhere.

5. Unprofessional management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cheyney, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cheyney, PA

I have been working at Thompson Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to work with some coworkers who are willing to help out when running behind time. Having full-time pay and hours.

Cons

Not being paid correctly, late hours even though I specified I had another Job. Management did not seem to care about my personal life.

Advice to Management

Better payroll clerk who knows what they are doing. Management that values their employees' hard work and dedication toward their job.

6. If only zero stars were an option...

I have been working at Thompson Hospitality full-time

Pros

Pros...pros...well, there are a handful of people within the company that you genuinely don't mind working hard for. Will that make you stay, no; but it's a pro, I guess.

Cons

Complete disregard for employees as people with needs, feelings, opinions, and intelligence. Arbitrary pay practices. Leadership fosters cliques and a culture of abuse. Virtually zero training at any level but you will be expected to make miracles happen and if you don't, you're done. Severe lack of consistency or established policies and procedures; decisions are made on a whim. The company is ran like a plantation which is disheartening considering that it is black owned.

Advice to Management

Self-reflection is needed on the part of senior leadership. The company is bigger than any single executive and/or middle manager. Thompson could be great and there are dedicated, talented people that want to make that happen. The current culture of the company will see those individuals leave and go on to better ran organizations. Learn how to be respectful and how to value the people that help make the company run. The most successful companies know how to engage their employees through respect, meaningful work, competitive pay and benefits, and embracing innovative, independent thinkers. Currently, all of these things are discouraged at Thompson in favor of cowardly yes-men.

7. Run as far as possible

Former Employee - General Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Thompson Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff members, a few H.R. staff and one traveling D.O.

Cons

After sending in my resignation with notice they terminated my employment a few days later. They have one of the largest turn overs in the corporate office and the units themselves that I have ever witnessed in a restaurant. (Red flag) No systems in place for training. Even the employee handbook is outdated. Menu is uninspiring. Tap Tap shrimp stolen from Bonefish (Bang Bang Shrimp) Calamari app stolen from Miller's Ale House are just two examples. The sad part is they take pride in doing these things, whenever there is a General Manager meeting, they even brag about it. On new menu roll outs they will not allow the chef to try nothing new because "they do not eat it" or my favorite response "that is not a salad, it does not have lettuce" you might laugh, but I am being absolutely serious. Treatment of the management staff by some of the corporate higher ups is just down right disrespectful. If you are not part of the clique, good luck on getting your opinion heard or receiving any respect. I heard horror stories of these types of experiences just never thought I would be one of them in this day and age.

Advice to Management

There are lots of vermin in your group. Take an outsiders look at who you surrounded yourself with and clean house.

8. great first hospitality experience with Thompson Hospitality

Former Employee - Host
    Former Employee - Host

I worked at Thompson Hospitality part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, nice people, flexible hours

Cons

disorganized, need better upper management, turnover

What a horrible place to work

Former Employee - Chef Manager in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Chef Manager in Augusta, GA

I worked at Thompson Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is slightly better than some other companies out there. They use alot of technology to make things flow smoothly.

Cons

I was misled from day one by the recruiter and numerous other employees. I was asked to do things that would cause the customer to have a porr experience. The company is geared towards making profit at all costs. The company issues orders, but then refuses to supply the items needed. Everything about this company is horrible, and working for them as been a horrible burden that is now gone.

Advice to Management

Try to actually run a managed services company, and stop lying to new hires.

My experience at Thompson Hospitality was eye opening.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Thompson Hospitality

Pros

They have a good Benefits package.

Cons

Senior Level Management are very secretive, you can not get anyone in the Corporate Office to speak directly and plainly with you. If they feel they have a reason, they will push you out while smiling the entire time.
    There is no human element involved in the business, it's like a machine and is run as such, which is unfortunate considering it has the ability to be very innovative and generous.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to get some sensitivity training in how to treat your employees as people first, employees second. Give back to those that work so hard to make your organization successful. Build a caring atmosphere and transparent operation.

11. Exciting Company with Many perks and opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Thompson Hospitality

Pros

endless opportunities for any field. Team work environment.

Cons

Salary is average but theres a bonus so makes it even.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on restaurant/unit managers...