Thompson Hotels Reviews

Reset
2.7
Stephen Brandman

1. Nice

I have been working at Thompson Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool brand but could be more organized

Cons

underpaid and promise things that never happen.

2. At the Very Least its a Resume Builder

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent

I have been working at Thompson Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fun environment - Great commission - Awesome coworkers

Cons

- Undelivered promises - Cronyism - Low hourly wage compared to industry average - Poor management

Advice to Management

Review your corporate values you preach and actually execute them not just to hotel guests but as well to the staff. If the staff is happy the guests will be happy. Management tends to forget how guest satisfaction is dependent on employee satisfaction.

3. Creative company

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Thompson Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The luxury of working for a botique brand is you are able to affect change. Senior leadership is very accessible- truly an open door policy.

Cons

The company is still young and in growth mode. Stronger SOP's would make the sales team more successful.

Advice to Management

Since I have left there has been more structure put in place which is a wonderful thing. My suggestion is to keep on this path.

5. Pretty good place to gain some experience..

Former Employee - Bellman in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Bellman in New York, NY

I worked at Thompson Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well-run with an emphasis on customer service. Not micro-managed as they allow you to be yourself within reason. There is some room for advancement and you can always apply for positions at other Thompson run hotels (the Thompson group is a hotel-management company).

Cons

They are non-union so they can lag behind in the pay/raises department. Perhaps not the best benefits out there.

6. Better before JDV

Current Employee - Front Office Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Front Office Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Thompson Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hip atmosphere, design drivin, strict management, idealogical service.

Cons

Once it changed over to commune under Niki it lost its luster from before. Brandman was harsh but his demands were clear.

Advice to Management

Give clear direction to everyone. JDV is too touchy feely and too easy for people who want to slack and relax to keep on with their mediocrity. JDV is a nightmare addition to a luxury collection.

Pretty on the outside. Shady on the inside.

Former Employee - Hotel Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Hotel Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Thompson Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I honestly couldn't think of one positive thing to say about this "company". It is so poorly ran and all the upper management is a complete joke.

Cons

Poor management, they don't know how to talk to you, they curse at you, you never get a thank you, constant tention!

Advice to Management

Take some courses and learn how to properly treat people. Get an actual human resources manager for each property. Your department heads cannot be HR as well, that's a conflict of interest.

Get it together!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Thompson Hotels full-time

Pros

I no longer work there!!

Cons

- Management is too lenient on certain associates than others. ( the fact that my dept played favorites, broke rules to promote an employee that wasn't even at their 6 months to transfer depts. - Not many considerate coworkers. - No organized training for new employees. - Pay is well below other Hotels in the area. Especially for a hotel that charges so much on rooms, events and catering, f&b, and their nightclubs, etc. - putting the lunchroom food on our paycheck to get a tax write off, and serving sub par food, that made me sick more than once, is just gross and wrong - working 7+ days in a row, when the salaried manager only works 5, with the best shifts, seems a bit unfair and not very TEAM like

Advice to Management

Management & HR need more comprehensive training. Stop playing favorites!!!

Would not recommend anyone to work here unless you are all about Hollywood and very street smart.

I worked at Thompson Hotels (More than a year)

Pros

It's a scene to be seen. It will look good on your resume. If you network well you can find better opportunities within or outside the company.

Cons

- Management is too lenient on certain associates than others. - Not many considerate coworkers. - No organized training for new employees. - Ridiculous parking. - Benefits and pay aren't that great for a hotel that charges so much on rooms, events and catering, f&b, and their nightclubs, etc.

Advice to Management

No comment, it's a high turnover hotel.

HEARTLESS COMPANY!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Thompson Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I KNOW LONGER WORK THERE.

Cons

My mother passed away from brain cancer and while I was attending her memorial they sent me a registered letter stating that my leave was NOT granted & I am subject to termination upon my return Also, my direct supervisor was sleeping with one of my staff & it created challenges. HR turned a blind eye when I presented them with this fact. They also ignored the fact when I reported/witnessed theft by another employee. They also demanded to see my text message messages. I refused..they quietly but pushed me out the door upon my return from my mother's memorial. OBVIOUSLY they are selective about what rules to enforce in the handbook. I'm sure they have an in interesting corporate Orwellian "double speak spin " on this... SHAME on you Thompson Hotels!

Advice to Management

management & HR need more comprehensive training.

11. Great Atmosphere and Great Managemment

Former Employee - Hostesss/Cocktail Server in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Hostesss/Cocktail Server in Washington, DC

I worked at Thompson Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere of the hotel was great, food was great,and fellow employees were very personable and friendly.

Cons

The restaurant was fairly new when I was working there so it was a bit unorganized and the turnover of employees was high.

Advice to Management

I loved the management while was there, but I'm not sure about it currently.

RSS Feed </> Embed