Thompson Tractor

Updated July 3, 2014
Updated July 3, 2014
4.0

Mike Thompson

Fantastic place to work and build a career.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Thompson Tractor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company has a history of success, promoting from within, and treating their employees well.

Cons

If you don't like working hard and being rewarded for it this is not the place for you.

Senior managers could spend a little more time around the territory.

Love this Company!

I have been working at Thompson Tractor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Management is extremely flexible, family oriented and seek to do the best for their employees. They encourage self-growth and help develop goals consistent to achieving that growth.

Cons

I think, like most companies, this company has faced economic challenges that have created a low morale among employees, but overall the company has tried to do things to boost that morale back up and encourage employees to continue to work with as much effort as they always have.

Communication to employees is vital. People don't understand decisions made because they don't know the why behind those decisions. This can often create an environment of confusion.

Great Experience working at an honest ethical company for over 30 Years!

I have been working at Thompson Tractor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Above average pay, benefits, excellent working conditions and co-workers, great profit sharing and regular corporate communication.

Cons

They have an excellent work/life balance, culture and values.

Move managers to other positions after several years to keep them from being burnt out.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company is OK. You really have to know someone to have any decent positions. It seems like everyone is related.

I have been working at Thompson Tractor full-time

Pros

Flexible, overall lenient management. If you show up and do your job and care you will have it made. If you act like an idiot you wont last long.

Cons

Political. If you don't know someone or have someone going to bat for you it can be very difficult to get a decent job.

Don't be so greedy with money, but the employees the things they need to do their job.

Laid Off after nearly 20 years

Former Employee - Field Service-Idustrial Engine Div  in  Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Field Service-Idustrial Engine Div in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Thompson Tractor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

For the first 10 to 15 yrs it was a great place to work. I made top pay within 3-4 yrs, then to field service. The insurance was good. I was deployed overseas in 2004. Thompson took care of my family as far as insurance was concerned. In the mid 80s, the company took care of the employees as the market was in a down turn.

Cons

Somewhere in the mid to early 90s there appeared to be a change within the company. Ownership was turned over to someone other than the original owner. The management atttitude changed drastically. Often times, upper management covered for departmental supervisors - some were drinking on the job, leaving work early, etc. When these issues were brought to the attention of upper management nothing was done until their hand was forced to. In 2008, there was early retirement buy outs and rumors of possible layoffs. i was finally laid off in June, 2009 after 19 yrs. and 3 os. of service to the company. There was several in similar situations laid off too. Many revenue producers were laid off instead of non-revenue employees. A couple of years after the layoff, Thompson was having to hire more mechanics because they did not have enough for some jobs they had in progress. I would not return to work there. As I was laid off after 20 yrs, how would I know it would not happen again.

Take care of your enployes and they will take care of you.

Outstanding company, outstanding employer

I have been working at Thompson Tractor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Thompson Tractor Company is not only an outstanding company that focuses on serving the needs of the customer but also an outstanding company that focuses on the needs of its employees. This is a place where hard work is valued and rewarded.

Cons

If you are afraid of hard work this is not the place for you. No company is perfect, but this has been a great place for me.

my experiance has been less than satisfactory due to faults in my department.

Current Employee - Leadman  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Leadman in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Thompson Tractor

Pros

outside of my department i believe there is many opportunities available

Cons

pay in my department is unfair

Strong, stable, career-focused

I have been working at Thompson Tractor

Pros

The culture of the company is the main benefit, as long as you're interested in being an asset. Hard work will be recognized, and insightful contributions to processes are encouraged. There's even a program to reward ideas that save money by paying the employee who came up with it back a percentage of the money saved and/or generated by their idea.

Promotion is usually from within, and the current employees are given preference over outsiders. However, when no qualified employee applies, they are not afraid to bring in people with fresh ideas and an attitude that is compatible with the company culture.

The top management values the employees, and there has never been any layoff. Employees are kept up to date regarding the state of the company both in annual meetings with demonstrations of the financial situation, and in other meetings on the departmental level throughout the year. For a private company, this is phenomenal transparency, and shows that the VP level and up sees the front line employees as partners, not just anonymous labor units.

Cons

While promotion from within retains much institutional knowledge, sometimes bad habits are unnecessarily replicated and entrenched. Also, cliques are liable to form, which keep innovation from being used due only to social reasons.

Also, if you're involved personally with the mining customers, whether through service, sales, or parts, it can be a 24/7 job at times due to their needs. However, these customers form the core of the company, and while the opportunity to work with them takes a great level of responsibility, it does not come without reward.

Be more open to ideas from industries not necessarily in the same class. While Thompson Tractor is one of, if not the, best Caterpillar dealerships in the US, there are many sections of it's business that have yet to enter the modern era, and would do well to be compared and benchmarked to companies that excel in these areas, and are not necessarily heavy equipment related.

Worked for Thompson Tractor? Contribute to the Community!