Thomson Reuters

3.3
2,541 Reviews

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance is quite good since they are very flexible with the working hours (in 451 reviews)

• Flexible timings - You are not forced to spend 9Hrs if no work - you can work from home (in 88 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares (in 45 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming (in 85 reviews)

More Highlights

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company is one of the best companies I have worked for. Friendly staff, management is great, they are not resistant to you moving up in the company and the pay is great as well.

Cons

There aren't any Cons for this company. It has been a great experience.

Good and Bad

Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Made many good friends while working here. The company itself offers great products, Amount of vacation time, sick time ect... (If you can use it). Compensation was decent but not great and they offer good benefits.

Cons

Working in a product support role where they charged $19.00 per 10 minutes you would have thought hiring people for quick customer service would have been a priority. Instead as people would leave they were not replaced. This left wait times for customers to reach a rep at 20min to over an hour in some cases. Basically full staffed when I started and bare bones when I left. Just couldn't take it anymore. That and waiting to get vacation approved sometimes taking weeks and multiple e-mails to get an answer due to being vastly understaffed. Can be stressful when trying to book flights and make family plans. They would just assign weekend shifts for busy season and the fighting and swapping would ensue for those who had plans during that time.

This was a few years back now so hopefully it has gotten better. The lower level managers you could tell were stressed as well at the level the department had sunken too.

Solid Internship

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great mentors on the team. The office was a culture of great engineer teachers willing to help out whenever I needed it and gave a lot of future advice. I felt like I grew during my time there.

Cons

Didn't feel like the company had opportunities for growth beyond what was required. The compensation should match a little bit better to the current staffing requirements and workload.

Help promote better internally.

Good Benefits, heavy middle management

Former Employee - Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits, lots of involvement in the community.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity to move up.

Very seasonal sales position

Current Employee - Account Representative in Dexter, MI
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Dexter, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

8-5 position. A lot of PTO and sick time to use throughout the year

Cons

No opportunity to move up to management or other positions other than sales. No opportunity to work remote. Low salary

Too much micro-management. Need to identify better qualified leads

It was a wonderful experience. Great people, and great work

Former Employee - Statistician in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Statistician in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Thomson Reuters as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Work with a great group of talented people. The company values their employees and the work is challenging and progressive

Cons

The hiring process takes a very long time. There is a lot of red tape. Could pay employees more. Work/life balance could be improved

Great job, while it lasted! Too bad they went internal.

Current Employee - Product Account Manager in Dexter, MI
    Current Employee - Product Account Manager in Dexter, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked out of a home office.

Cons

Territory was large and lots of overnight travel.

You should have never moved this position inside

Not for me

Former Employee - Product Support Representative Intern in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Product Support Representative Intern in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Thomson Reuters as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Casual dress, good mix of independent and group work, flexible hours, good pay, great management and nice perks

Cons

Very mundane job including mostly answering calls from angry clients wanting you to do their work for them. Not satisfying at all

I was disappointed with the internship

Former Employee - Business Technology Intern in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Business Technology Intern in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Thomson Reuters as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The fellow employees that work at Thomson Reuters are pretty chill and down to Earth. It was easy to make friends because rarely anyone enjoys the work so its easy to bond over.

Cons

1. The hours are extremely long and for the 4.5 months I was there I was only able to take a 30 minute lunch daily. Also, the scheduling team would schedule longer hours for employees with only a couple days notice, so I was forced to cancel plans with family because I had been assigned to work.
    2. Tax season is a stressful time, so when customers call in because there is a problem with their software they are usually not happy about it. A lot of the customers would be extremely disrespectful on the phone and say rude and degrading things to me on the phone, which put me in a bad mood frequently.
    3. The training at Thomson Reuters is extremely outdated and not comprehensive enough. My team was trained for 3 weeks then we were on our own answering the phone for 10 hours each day about UltraTax software. We were not prepared, which frustrated customers more.
    4. Thomson Reuters was understaffed so there was usually a long wait for customers to speak with a representative, which left them unhappy with the company as a whole.

Pay attention to what is actually happening throughout the company instead of staying in your own bubble throughout the day.

Good internship experience overall.

Former Employee - Business/Technology Intern in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Business/Technology Intern in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Thomson Reuters as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My intern coordinator, trainers and fellow employees were some of the nicest people I have ever met. They were always nice and offered nothing but support. Even the other interns were always upbeat and positive. It was genuinely a great environment to learn and work in. They made me want to work harder and be better. One of the best parts is the large bonuses and great pay for an entry level position.

Cons

While the training was useful, I feel like it still needs some fine tuning. As a product support representative the resources were not as helpful and comprehensive as they should have been. There were some days where I just wanted to cry from the treatment of the customers (and I did), but as I said, there was nothing but support from other employees. In those tough cases I was able to speak to a call coordinator and transfer the call if things go out of hand.

Put in place stricter policies on how customers treat employees. Work on the resources for 1040/UT reps. The information is hard to find and a little scattered, if there at all.