Thomson Reuters

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.2 2,326 reviews

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith

James C. Smith

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules that allows one to establish a good work-life balance(in 399 reviews)

• Work from home was very much allowed and many times encouraged to balance work/life(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares(in 42 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming(in 78 reviews)

2,326 Employee Reviews

Amazing company to work for

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsExcellent work environment, surrounded by extremely bright people. A joy to work for.

ConsNone that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing...its working

Sales Account Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople great, great work setting

ConsSometimes the communication with upper management was confusing and inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease provide proper tools for training and keep the lines of communication open

When Thomson met Reuters - not a happy marriage

Client Facing (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people at TR are great, and that is the main reason I stayed there so long. They maintain a good work/life balance, and you learn skills and gain experience that can be quite useful elsewhere.

ConsTR has had 8 rounds of layoffs over the last four years. Each new management team shakes things up, reorganizes, lays off thousands, and still can't meet the expectations of the Thomson family. And so the cycle continues. The bottom line is that Thomson overpaid, badly, for Reuters and will never get the ROI they want. So they cut people, benefits, raises, bonuses, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

in the middle of the road

Product Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- lots of opportunities to work with the latest and greatest technologies
    - practically every single team is following agile process
    - working remotely does not looked down upon

Cons- Shareholders benefits drive a lot of budgetary decisions. Get used to semi-annual re-orgs
    - Your good or bad experience with TR will highly depend on the group you end up with. its' been 6 years since the merger but there are still quite a few distinctions when you end up with exThomson team vs exReuters team.
    - employee morale in many teams are way too low

Advice to Senior ManagementStrategic decisions should be made based on the customer experience and satisfaction not blindly copycat-ing competitors.

Good, Not Great

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGlobal company creates great opportunity to communicate with colleagues around the world. There are always internal opportunities and the work/life balance is unlike any other. Work from home opportunities depending on your manager as well as flexible hours. When you leave at the end of the day, you aren't expected to be "online" while you are home. Work and Life are completely separate.

ConsThe office culture varies depending on your location. I've been to offices around the US, some are great where employees are communicating, having fun, the office is on its own campus and then there are locations where the employees keep to themselves and do the 8-5 grind and go home without speaking a word. Doesn't make for a fun work day. Since the company is so large, it feels like there is a lot of miscommunication. It may take days to reach the correct person for help- I guess that comes with a big company, but I think they could come up with a better way.

not well managed on both software base and development team.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Oak Brook, IL

Proswork-life balance is just ok.

ConsThe manager I worked for likes to play politics which I don't really like

A great learning experience.

Legal Researcher (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood place to work at on an entry level. Great colleagues in a global organization.

ConsHeavy workload, takes too long to bring in new hires for the workload in the satellite offices. It only seems that promotions are only for Eagan employees and those already in Upper Management

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice management is always from the Top down...while asking employees for their input, be prepared to really take some honest criticism.

sprawling, cheap company

Sales Representative (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgood benefits, decent location, ok pay, nice people, relaxed environment. I happen to have a terrific manager that has allowed me to explore other talents beyond sales for which I was hiredI can't really think of much else to say on the pros side

ConsThis is my second time working for Thomson and this will probably be the second time my group will be sold. There may be room to move up here, but it is not made clear. The vast majority of the company seems to be striving for mediocrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better. Let people work from offices closer to their home. I live five minutes from an office, but yet have to travel an hour and a half to NYC for work.

Don't count on anyone in leadership to go out of the way to stand up for employees

ProsGood compensation and good work-life balance if you are in the right group and business unit.

ConsPolitical, Title-Centric and Hierarchical
    Many in leadership turn a blind eye to unethical practices
    Constant restructuring
    HR certainly does not work on the behalf of employees even though the company has enormous PR around talent development, goal setting and open door policy

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider checking into real life implementation of the values you promote instead of just lip service

Everything is broken

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsDecent pay and benefits
    Great location in Times Square
    Cafeteria is cool
    Internal job Board is active

ConsThey change the way they report and the structure every year.
    There is no stability.
    Unrealistic Goals
    The are cramming more and more people in this office and cutting the cubes in half.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with a plan for more than 1 year.

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!