Thomson Reuters

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.2 2,312 reviews

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith

James C. Smith

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules that allows one to establish a good work-life balance(in 394 reviews)

• Work from home was very much allowed and many times encouraged to balance work/life(in 81 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares(in 42 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming(in 78 reviews)

2,312 Employee Reviews

Everything is broken

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsDecent pay and benefits
    Great location in Times Square
    Cafeteria is cool
    Internal job Board is active

ConsThey change the way they report and the structure every year.
    There is no stability.
    Unrealistic Goals
    The are cramming more and more people in this office and cutting the cubes in half.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with a plan for more than 1 year.

Lots of management change.

Human Resources Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsDecent compensation and pleasant colleagues. The work environment was flexible but also required some face-time.

ConsUpper management and strategy changed every few months. Nothing in the US seemed to be growing. Company culture was undefined at best. At worst, it was a conflicting amalgamation of the many different cultures of numerous acquisitions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company culture needed to be better defined. Most of the products came from acquisitions.

Worst HR leadership in Eagan

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsGood business leaders overall
    Challenging work
    Business Supports innovation
    Very rich severance plan
    Great technology
    Great finance leaders in Eagan

ConsHR leadership is more worried about how late you are in the office vs quality of work
    HR leadership isn't supportive of people from the outside or with more experience
    "Challenge" = cut heads this quarter. Way to cut costs is through RIFs

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out different ways to control costs vs just cutting heads. Change up HR leadership especially in Eagan. Value employees in Eagan vs looking at the people as idiots just because we live in MN

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

had to learn how to use the product on my own.

Product Usage Representative (Former Employee) Valhalla, NY

Proscant speak on that. I was a contractor/

ConsWhen a contractor you are treated like a contractor and excluded from "team" meetings. I felt left out and alone. I

Advice to Senior Managementtreat all "team" members equally whether on TR payroll or not.

Great People but Mgmt is Clueless

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsThe people I work with directly are passionate and good at what they do.

ConsFew employment advancement opportunities and weak pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive management seems unsure of how to implement and drive real change.

Director Professional Services

Director (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe company provides exposure to global professional career and it certainly has a great brand recognition.

ConsTR is not any longer a Technology Company; it is a purely profit driven, private-equity type of firm where management does not have any ability to look for long-term strategies and take the time to build innovative, reliable technology products

Advice to Senior ManagementRemind yourself what the company core is (Information Management) every time you make a decision

Good people to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople were great to work with. Products were challenging to develop.

ConsSenior management seemed to be a little out of touch with reality.

Limited Opportunity

Physician Consultant (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat verbal support by colleagues on ideas and planning.

ConsVery poor communications between managers & leadership with everyone else below them.
    NO growth plans for employment opportunities nor any senior management guidance for promotions.
    Terrible communication about company direction nor enhancement in your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the barriers - provide leadership of the company.
    Build a roadmap of growth and advance the smart employees - fire the lazy ones.

Great bunch of employees to work with, downfall has been profits at all cost.

Director, Product Management (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople were great to work with across most of the offices. Training was available and company provided Tuition reimbursement of $5500/year. Work from home was very much allowed and many times encouraged to balance work/life.

ConsCompany was a very large bureaucracy and with so many people in many disparate areas, it was a challenge to maintain facetime. Work from home is nice but TR had a mit of a problem with out of sight, out of mind mentality which caused many good folks to lose their jobs as execs in NY would make random determinations of who and from what offices should go. B/c it is a for profit company, short term profits became much more important than building a long-term and growing organization. As a result, layoffs continue to occur even though at the outset of the Thomson Financial/Reuters merger, management stated that no more than 10% right-sizing would occur. At this point, I would bet it is closer to 40% or more.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Board should oversee management and should engage more outside directors, as management has engaged in cost-savings approaches that have impacted the day-to-day employees through moving payment of bonuses out 3-4 months for the short term and one-time cost savings across the company, that ultimately make employees dissatisfied, lower morale and increase attrition of significant content manqagement and developent skills and knowledge.

Good place to work

ProsPerfect work life balance and good place to work

ConsToo many changes happen daily....

Advice to Senior ManagementChanges are needed but not day in and day out

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!