Thomson Reuters

Updated Jul 26, 2014

3.2 2,329 reviews

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith

James C. Smith

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules that allows one to establish a good work-life balance(in 399 reviews)

• Work from home was very much allowed and many times encouraged to balance work/life(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares(in 42 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming(in 78 reviews)

2,329 Employee Reviews

Good Environment, Good Pay, Hard to move around

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsGood Pay, nice working environment, management is nice.

ConsIt is hard to grow in side this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the growing processes for employees.

Behemoth "highly matrixed organization" that is trying to change

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat training opportunties. A lot of good people. Organization is trying to get with the times and become more strategic. Culture in my own New York office is great, with a lot of inventive activities and informal but get things done attitude. Great attempts at helping to create a work life balance. Pay is market rate.

ConsLots of restructuring, all the time, at the top levels which creates a slight mood of instability.
    Many decisions made are political, with very little on the ground knowledge helping to inform those decisions.
    Focus is on how to get the most out of customers rather than providing products to meet customer needs. Sales teams have too many products to push, making it internally competitive for the marketing teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just pay lip service to customer first -- embrace it on all levels and profits will follow.

Depends of Dept. and Office Location

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked in NY Times Square Office and San Francisco Office. WONDERFUL experience, opportunities, mentors and pay at NY office.

ConsIn SF there was no cohesion, lower pay, little room for advancement; pretty awful

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the office politics please, it gets in the way of productivity

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good product, Good on the Resume, Awful at everything else...

Thrall Analyst (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsCoworkers are a reason to stick around. The reputation of Thomson Reuters attracts smart, professional people to work with. Products are unique and present interesting challenges.

ConsTeam creativity is stifled by poorly designed hierarchies and departmental silos, despite corporate "innovation" incentive programs. The response to dismal employee satisfaction ratings is for everyone to take an online course about how to be a good employee. Raises and bonuses are pathetic unless you're a manager level or above, then the company rewards you for how much your headcount has been reduced, and how soul crushed your employees are willing to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have none. Thomson Reuters has used the might of its corporate intelligence to engineer a way to captivate some of the best minds to do the most arbitrary and meaningless things for less money. Sometimes it's fun to joke about how awful your company is, right? I'm not laughing...

Company future is like an aircraft locked in a flat spin; almost impossible to recover from and nearly always fatal

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe air conditioning used to work.........sometimes.

ConsThis company is locked into a death spiral that will see it eventually broken-up or disappear completely. I can't see anyone walking in and wanting to buy it as a whole. The problem is that the majority shareholders, the Thomson Family, have a very aggressive policy of maintaining the Share price and Dividend nice and high. Yet every time Bank of America, UBS or Barclay's shed 6,000 jobs, the revenue stream falls.

To maintain those shares and dividends, the solution - every time - is to squeeze the guys in the middle actually doing the work. You can get away with this a few times around the loop, but eventually you start shedding irreplaceable people, single points of failures. It also destroys the morale of the rest. An urge to write good code or check data is replaced by a need to browse Facebook. And every now and again the company will pull an even more outrageous stunt, like deferring the merit rise (which wasn't great to start off with) for 6 months because someone made an error in the books somewhere. When you have to explain this at home, you not only lose the support of the staff, but the families back home. That's why I don't work there any more. As we found in Vietnam, you don't win hearts and minds by going around burning stuff.

Bloomberg of course don't have this problem, not having shareholders, and are free to run the company in a grown-up, mature manner that doesn't involve firing people you need every two minutes and upsetting the rest by piling more work on their plates.

For the grunts on the ground, the way this company works is almost comical on occasions. With performance falling, the company decides people need to work in a more agile manner (OK) by......wait for it..............get ready.....using a different time recording tool. Pllllleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssseeeeeeeee...............as my 15 year old daughter would no doubt say.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wouldn't know where to start. There aren't enough electrons in the Universe. I'd recommend some "back to the floor" exercises to touch-base with the common employee; to see what motivates them, what are their worries, hopes, fears. To see what it's like to work with a ticketing system where Firewall changes take 2 years. Where requests to fix the air-con are lost, and you're analyzing thousands of pieces of data in temperatures of 90 degrees. Where you will only get a good end of year review if it is your "turn" within the team to do so. Where you live with a huge sword of Damocles hanging over your head, ready to fall next time Morgan Stanley fire 20,000 people.

Solid experience overall - Sales

Sales - Legal Division (Former Employee)

ProsStrong intro and ongoing training.
    Opportunity for growth.
    Good people with strong expertise.

ConsToo many org changes
    Many changes to sales comp plan that seemed to cap/control costs. Worked harder, sold more, but made less the last few years.
    At times, management would reward people that fail with lower quota and increase quota for top performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to manage up.
    Be transparent, honest, no back office deals.
    Continue to build with great people

Great company to work for

CLient Trainer (Current Employee)

ProsWorking for Thomson Reuters is awesome. This company believes in there products and services and work hard to bring clients the most innovative and reliable products. I have worked here for several years and I can say this is the best company I worked for because they believe in work life balance, it is easy to get burnt out from a job so they take pride and are committed to making sure our clients are happy but also making sure that their employee's are happy.

ConsThe only con that I can say is the compensation is not up to market standards with other companies in some areas and the yearly performance raises are very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Low morale and middle mgmt entitlement

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsThomson Reuters offers competitive pay and benefit, plus a flexible working environment with occasional remote working. It is a good place to work if you are looking for global experience.

ConsThere is a lack of accountability at all levels, at least compared to Fortune-100 companies I have worked. Morale is very low likely due to several lay offs and outsourcing taking place. Middle management seems bloated and has a sense of entitlement.

Director Professional Services

Director (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe company provides exposure to global professional career and it certainly has a great brand recognition.

ConsTR is not any longer a Technology Company; it is a purely profit driven, private-equity type of firm where management does not have any ability to look for long-term strategies and take the time to build innovative, reliable technology products

Advice to Senior ManagementRemind yourself what the company core is (Information Management) every time you make a decision

Not like it used to be...

Client Facing (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBig company with a lot of resources(which they continually manage to squander). Prior to Thomson bungling their purchase of Reuters(Hey, I'll buy that $500k house for $30mil.) it was a great place to work as the Brit influence meant great benefits. As Thomson realized(and still is) their guffaw, it's turned into a resource cutting mill as the Woodbridge Trust isn't laughing about the accumulated losses since the merger.

ConsDepends where you land..TR is a huge company made up of a lot of small non-cooperating fiefdoms. Each unit has it's overlords and they're pro's at playing the "you watch my back and I'll watch yours" game.

So, net net, those that really know their stuff, usually don't get the promotions.

Very cliquey environment and advancement is primarily based on whose butt you kiss..

Also, this company practices agism like nobody's business. Of all the job cuts in the past number of years(and there's been A LOT), it seems like the over 50's are the first to go. In fairness, this is a societal issue.

And going back to before the merger, both companies had a record of growing through acquisitions. And on the Reuters side, for some unexplained reason, the people who built the products/companies they bought, left after all the mergers. So, good luck getting something fixed for a client on a legacy platform.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to re-think the hiring/promotion process as the wrong people are landing in important slots. Of course, it's natural for a hiring manager to want input on such a decision but at TR, this is a dangerous practice. The higher ups at TR have no idea about the industry they're in so of course they shouldn't be called upon to judge hires for this essential quality. I can't tell you how many managers over there couldn't tell you the difference between a CDS and CVS pharmacy..which would be funny if not for the fact that they sell to the financial industry.

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!