Thomson Reuters

Thomson Reuters Reviews in Eagan, MN

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith

James C. Smith

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules that allows one to establish a good work-life balance(in 394 reviews)

• Work from home was very much allowed and many times encouraged to balance work/life(in 81 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares(in 42 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming(in 78 reviews)

228 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Progressive culture puts trust into employees' hands

Senior Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsRecession proof industry, focus on work/life balance is great, extremely competent and transparent leadership, it's fun to work for a company with a positive, winning culture and who trusts employees enough to empower them to make decisions about how to approach work.

ConsGood luck moving up in the company - they either hire from the outside to replace someone in management who left or don't bother replacing the manager at all and just pile the departed manager's responsibilities onto other managers and staff.

Good solid company to work for

Financial Analyst II (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsGood work life balance. Company culture is not chaotic or hectic but still very professional.

ConsCompany is not back filling positions left by other analysts so work load is piling up and also it seems harder to move up and be promoted

Worst HR leadership in Eagan

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsGood business leaders overall
    Challenging work
    Business Supports innovation
    Very rich severance plan
    Great technology
    Great finance leaders in Eagan

ConsHR leadership is more worried about how late you are in the office vs quality of work
    HR leadership isn't supportive of people from the outside or with more experience
    "Challenge" = cut heads this quarter. Way to cut costs is through RIFs

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out different ways to control costs vs just cutting heads. Change up HR leadership especially in Eagan. Value employees in Eagan vs looking at the people as idiots just because we live in MN

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People but Mgmt is Clueless

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsThe people I work with directly are passionate and good at what they do.

ConsFew employment advancement opportunities and weak pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive management seems unsure of how to implement and drive real change.

Awesome

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsGreat coworker, Giant building, flexible hours

ConsCubicles, Lost easily, Lots of parking

Good Environment, Good Pay, Hard to move around

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsGood Pay, nice working environment, management is nice.

ConsIt is hard to grow in side this organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the growing processes for employees.

Good product, Good on the Resume, Awful at everything else...

Thrall Analyst (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsCoworkers are a reason to stick around. The reputation of Thomson Reuters attracts smart, professional people to work with. Products are unique and present interesting challenges.

ConsTeam creativity is stifled by poorly designed hierarchies and departmental silos, despite corporate "innovation" incentive programs. The response to dismal employee satisfaction ratings is for everyone to take an online course about how to be a good employee. Raises and bonuses are pathetic unless you're a manager level or above, then the company rewards you for how much your headcount has been reduced, and how soul crushed your employees are willing to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have none. Thomson Reuters has used the might of its corporate intelligence to engineer a way to captivate some of the best minds to do the most arbitrary and meaningless things for less money. Sometimes it's fun to joke about how awful your company is, right? I'm not laughing...

Low morale and middle mgmt entitlement

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsThomson Reuters offers competitive pay and benefit, plus a flexible working environment with occasional remote working. It is a good place to work if you are looking for global experience.

ConsThere is a lack of accountability at all levels, at least compared to Fortune-100 companies I have worked. Morale is very low likely due to several lay offs and outsourcing taking place. Middle management seems bloated and has a sense of entitlement.

It's best days are behind.

Senior Web Developer (Former Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsThe company was once flexible with with work hours and working remotely though, after a dept reorg, our new management was constantly threatening to remove this "privilege".

ConsAfter our reorg, the new management was very hostile and condescending toward us. In many departments people are expected to work way over their regular hours with little praise or recognition.

When CEO Jim Smith first promoted to CEO, many of us thought he would turn things around and make the company better. He has only succeeded in making things much worse..

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bleeding jobs and flushing good money down the toilet with dividends. Focus on investing in your employees and building innovative products to differentiate from competitors and gain market share.

Jumping departments is your only growth opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsGreat work life balance (6 sick days, 3-4 weeks vacation, 3-4 personal, 2 volunteer days a year). Once you're in, it's fairly easier to move around.

ConsBut moving around, changing departments/channels and career path are the only way you'll get a pay increase. Management is disjointed within the company and nothing more than yes men. Upper level management can't seem to get a clear vision for the company and therefore hemorrhage VPs at an alarming rate. Products are in decline. Staff and sales executives are wholly underpaid for the market. Bottom line emotes are devalued and treated like cattle.

Advice to Senior ManagementBesides paying your employees market value - Unify channels, and present a consistent corporate policy from bottom up. There's nothing more alienating to employees when "corporate policies" are applied differently (or not at all) across departments and channels. Creates disgruntled, insecure culture.

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!