Thomson Reuters

3.3
2,552 Reviews

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance is quite good since they are very flexible with the working hours (in 451 reviews)

• Flexible timings - You are not forced to spend 9Hrs if no work - you can work from home (in 88 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares (in 45 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming (in 85 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If you want a relaxed and enjoyable place to collect a paycheck, this is it.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I worked at Thomson Reuters

Pros

It has a great culture and environment. The office (in Denver) is very laid back. Micromedex is a tech company at heart so much of the traditional positive traditional tech attributes exist here - casual dress, low stress, employee perks. I worked in the finance group and came from a financial services background. This was almost culture shock for me.

Cons

As part of a large corporation (its even larger know with the merger of Thomson and Reuters), there are the typical beuracracies and negatives that come with a company of this size. One of the good things though is that Micromedex is a smaller, almost stand alone, part of the parent. So this is less of a negative. The finance group was small, so was little opportunity to advance your career.

Senior mgmt at Micromedex is competent and fairly attuned to their employees. The problem is that they have to listen to what is handed down from on high, at Thomson corporate. That creates a disconnect. So I could go and talk to the CFO of Micromedex at any time and voice my opinion. But it would never get to the CFO of Thomson.

I would characterize the company as on a steady decline.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I worked at Thomson Reuters

Pros

The healthcare industry is on the rise. This is a good way to get into the field and use the company as a launching point.

Cons

The culture of the company is very poor. Sadly the emphasis has shifted from caring about our customers to one of protecting the bottom line.

I suggest an internal audit on management. A thorough investigation is necessary to fix serious systemic problems.

Was good at one time

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Great benefits (401k, healthcare, etc), One of the tops for salary compensation, Employees are very friendly and helpful, Great team environment

Cons

Low morale at Denver location, no advancement opportunities, company has stagnated on moving forward with the healthcare industry, corporate wants to get rid of healthcare division

You need to move forward with change and not sit stagnant in the past. Just because the industry isn't moving forward doesn't mean you can't help it move forward by helping provide the hardware necessary.

Thomson Reuters You Use To Be Beautiful

Former Employee - Senior Market Manager in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Market Manager in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I worked at Thomson Reuters

Pros

The best reason to work for Thomson Reuters is the people. They have done an excellent job of assembling some very talented folks. The problem is after awhile the ineptitude of the senior managment errodes away at that talent so much so that they leave the company.

Cons

The biggest downside is senior management. Too many of the senior managers spend the bulk of thier time "managing up" versus keeping the focus on the customers and empowering employees to deliver an outstanding work product.

Remember why we are in business in the first place, that is to help customers get what they need so they can save lives. Look around you at the teams of employees that you have and recognized that they know what they are doing, let them do thier jobs. Spend less time having meetings about meetings, let people make decisions and stand by those people. Take two meetings to make a decision, don't micromanage, embrace a 'Yes' culture.