Thomson Reuters

3.3
2,488 Reviews

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance is quite good since they are very flexible with the working hours (in 436 reviews)

• Flexible timings - You are not forced to spend 9Hrs if no work - you can work from home (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares (in 44 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming (in 83 reviews)

More Highlights

131 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best place to work .. you get to work on what you were interviewed for

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment, considerate people, focus on development, leadership and technology focused growth

Cons

May be more focus on only domain specific technologies, lot of people working from long time so lack of dynamism or competition

I think keeping its always good to keep good balance of old and new generation of programmers so that you can best of cutting edge with backing of experience.

Interesting work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most colleagues are good and knowledgeable about their work. Pleasantly surprised by pay offered. HR department efficient and not overbearing.

I find myself trusted far more than at previous employers.

Cons

Functions are scattered across various locations, leading to a large meetings burden and confused job roles.

Support services often unbelievably bad. Procedure for procurement slapdash, department needs to be constantly chivvied into action. Staff on IT helpdesk really unable to offer help as they know less about IT than I do. If call appears to be difficult it is quietly closed.

Intranet getting filled with junk.

Concentrate staff who need to cooperate onto one, maybe two sites. Locate support services as far as possible in the same building as the staff whom they are supposed to support. Employ fewer more talented support staff. Stop undermining staff working on quality products by simultaneously marketing cheaper low-quality "alternatives".

Long career, but decided to leave due to poor senior management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great career opportunities and fantastic people to work with. The work/life balance used to be good but is being eroded.

Cons

As above, the work/life balance is slowly being eroded. The constant redundancies are demoralising and promotions are based on whether you are part of the boys club and no longer based on skill and ability. Such a shame.

Start recognising the good performers and stop giving jobs to the boys. Don't lose the moral compass that used to be so prevalent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long term employee feedback at Thomson Reuters

Current Employee - Client Implementation Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Client Implementation Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good office culture, some great people working there. Flexible home working available.

Cons

Post merger, company is bloated at management level and as a result RE has repeated reorganizations so that eventually regardless of how excellent an individual is in their role or how valuable they are to a specific revenue stream, changes in management lead to such people being lost. I have seen this several times.

Invest more in staff and be clear on the mission

Very good experience. Good company to work for. I will recommend it. Going through a lot of reorganizing at the moment.

Former Employee - Technical Specialist  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Mature, family like culture. Great people working there. Good training. Good overall compensation package. I recommend it. I had a very good experience working for TR.

Cons

I cannot think of anything.

Challenging, but quite slow paced

Former Employee - Senior Sales Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Global company, internal and international movement encouraged.

Cons

Lack of identity, too many buyouts of other companies, lacked focus

Dont promise ICs things that you dont ultimately deliver on

Two sides to this company

Current Employee - Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fascinating company with great products and interesting colleagues. The passion exhibited by employees is inspiring. Compensation and benefits are aligned well against the external market and the reputation of the company really enhances your CV.

Cons

This is entirely my experience of my particular division as I know others in the Company work in a more logical structure...

There's an inability of management to delegate responsibility and therefore all decisions are made by committee so consequently very little is achieved. Far too many Director/VP roles and very few people to carry out the work that needs to happen. No career progression - promotions are not an option and teams change through external hires. Recent restructure means roles are far narrower - which makes the role content far less rewarding and far more mundane.

Continue with the overall company direction, but focus in on less productive areas - possibly using satisfaction and attrition scores!

Great colleagues, great career opportunity

Current Employee - Vice President, Human Resources  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Vice President, Human Resources in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've had five roles and two significant changes in level during my five years with the company, and have seen many others have similarly interesting career development. Due to the breadth and nature of what the company does, if you are flexible and proactive, then there is plenty of career opportunity available.

The company is in the midst of a transformation - and has been in a constant state of flux for years. This change does feel different, however, with a much greater sense of purpose, and results starting to show. It is very strong on virtual collaboration. There is a big network of Telepresence and VC, and WebEx connect is used well, as well as the social intranet which is highly trafficked and gives a good opportunity to engage with people globally whom you otherwise wouldn't get to know.

It also has some very strong business resource groups: I'm an active member of Pride at Work, for LGBT employees and friends, which is a close-knit global network. The company has done a lot to demonstrate its support for LGBT employees, with a big presence at Pride in London, for instance, and statements in support of marriage equality in the UK and Minnesota.

I really enjoy my co-workers, who are both smart and have high levels of integrity. Like any organisation, there are plenty of challenges as well as opportunities: but for all the ups and downs of working here, of the five employers I've worked for, Thomson Reuters is my favourite.

Cons

It's not the most exciting of companies: it could do with more buzz, and more energy and optimism. Things take time to change - but when you look back on the improvements in the last three years, if the same level of change can happen in the next three years then the company will be in really, really good shape.

Leaders need to get out and engage more, get more face time with employees, and show their human face a bit more often. From another perspective, employees need to think about the role they play in making the company a better place to work - and take ownership of that; many already do so, but it'd have a big impact if people were even more proactive.

Jazz things up! Engage more directly with staff. Lead with the heart as well as the head. Help employees understand where we are headed, their role in that - and also ensure people understand where we've come from and the progress we've made.

big corporate

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

large employer, good perks, job for life if you play the game and are not career minded. constantly evolving and many diverse divisions so in some areas it has the cultural benefits of working for a small employer but with the benefits of a large organisation. Reasonable salaries and structured grading

Cons

large company lots of politics, lots of staff just stay working with no clear career path or direction, Some parts of the business have a culture of expecting staff to be in the office and to be seen.

Good company but struggling to focus on core business

Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters for more than a year

Pros

Good company with good opportunities.

Cons

They could not focus on core business and a lot time and resources were wasted on side projects that in the end got terminated.

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!