Thomson Reuters

Thomson Reuters Reviews in London UK

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith

James C. Smith

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules that allows one to establish a good work-life balance(in 394 reviews)

• Work from home was very much allowed and many times encouraged to balance work/life(in 81 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares(in 42 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming(in 78 reviews)

130 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great colleagues, great career opportunity

Vice President, Human Resources (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsI've had five roles and two significant changes in level during my five years with the company, and have seen many others have similarly interesting career development. Due to the breadth and nature of what the company does, if you are flexible and proactive, then there is plenty of career opportunity available.

The company is in the midst of a transformation - and has been in a constant state of flux for years. This change does feel different, however, with a much greater sense of purpose, and results starting to show. It is very strong on virtual collaboration. There is a big network of Telepresence and VC, and WebEx connect is used well, as well as the social intranet which is highly trafficked and gives a good opportunity to engage with people globally whom you otherwise wouldn't get to know.

It also has some very strong business resource groups: I'm an active member of Pride at Work, for LGBT employees and friends, which is a close-knit global network. The company has done a lot to demonstrate its support for LGBT employees, with a big presence at Pride in London, for instance, and statements in support of marriage equality in the UK and Minnesota.

I really enjoy my co-workers, who are both smart and have high levels of integrity. Like any organisation, there are plenty of challenges as well as opportunities: but for all the ups and downs of working here, of the five employers I've worked for, Thomson Reuters is my favourite.

ConsIt's not the most exciting of companies: it could do with more buzz, and more energy and optimism. Things take time to change - but when you look back on the improvements in the last three years, if the same level of change can happen in the next three years then the company will be in really, really good shape.

Leaders need to get out and engage more, get more face time with employees, and show their human face a bit more often. From another perspective, employees need to think about the role they play in making the company a better place to work - and take ownership of that; many already do so, but it'd have a big impact if people were even more proactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementJazz things up! Engage more directly with staff. Lead with the heart as well as the head. Help employees understand where we are headed, their role in that - and also ensure people understand where we've come from and the progress we've made.

Good company but struggling to focus on core business

Senior Applications Support Engineer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood company with good opportunities.

ConsThey could not focus on core business and a lot time and resources were wasted on side projects that in the end got terminated.

Excellent if slow-moving employer

Programmer Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGenuinely cares about its staff; good global opportunities. Flexible - an excellent place to work.

ConsBureaucracy, slow decision-making, almost constant re-organisation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to flatten the organization and but more decision-making power into the hands of lower management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sophisticated, driven, flexible and unique!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe atmosphere in the building I work in is so friendly and easy-going it's pleasing and doesn't allow a person to ever really get stressed or pressurized. The managers look after you and always organize regular one-to-one sessions, you can get good pension amounts, share discounts, dentist plans and even WoW points or vouchers to get discounts from high-street stores. Overall, working for the company is the best thing that ever happened to me.

ConsI really can't think of any cons in the position I am in. I'm a software engineer, and everything is managed how it should be, the work load is the right balance so it doesn't bring you down after a day of work, and everyone is really understanding and helpful if you have a problem. Only con I can think of is the dodgy lifts that scare the heck out of you every now and then!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing and continue to be agile in the sense that you monitor deadlines and the progress of a project, keep up to date with required meetings and high priority emails, and make sure you have monitoring all members of staff to make sure they are pulling their weight (and make sure some staff aren't overloaded!).

Significant changes underway to build solid foundation

Project Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFantastically diverse, globally known, a lot of opportunity to move within the company itself.

ConsWeak/absent leadership, inconsistent pay policies, major changes taking place.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much rhetoric, promising pitches but yet to see any actual delivered improvements.

Good company, but consistently making experienced staff redundant will eventually lead to product quality issues.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat people
    Good products
    Flexible working environments
    Good benefits

ConsCost saving measures resulted in many experienced staff being made redundant, and high new staff turnover makes it hard to maintain quality and expert knowledge that the company depends on.
    Brutal timescales on the projects I worked on - very poor up front planning on business case and project scope.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with the staff!

Was good, going downhill...no appreciation of people who work hard

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIt's flexible working, good benefits package though not salary.

ConsHard work and loyalty is not rewarded. 10 years ago the people hired were always reliably good and people you wanted to work with. Too often now people are hired on basis of professional qualification with little thought given to whether they are able to do the job or get on with their colleagues. Result = lots of very frustrated, underpaid decent employees increasingly looking elsewhere...This will not assist the company in retaining and growing profit.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop chasing short term profits at the expense of loyal employees. It doesn't cost that much in the general scheme of things to take hard working people out for a drink once every few months and would massively boost morale. Stop putting so much emphasis on qualifications (and subsequently hiring unnecessary people) and instead look at how you can promote people within. This is apparently supposed to happen but I can name about 10 people who've been passed over in the past year in favour of (generally useless) external recruits.

Forgotten its roots

Journalist (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWith a large company comes a wide range of benefits you would not normally get if you worked from a smaller firm.

ConsUS-style business culture has been imposed on Reuters since it was purchased by Thomson and not always necessarily for the good. One always sensed you had to watch your back as the smallest error could get noted down and used against you in a performance appraisal -- always handy when it come to declining requests for a pay rise!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhilst data is what makes the big bucks at Thomson Reuters, the management should remember that its reputation and notoriety lies with the fantastic team of journalists that put great stories out every day and ensure the Reuters brand remains in the public eye. When I worked for the firm, I sensed the US management had little respect for the brand, in part because the Reuters name was not as big in the US as it is elsewhere...perhaps that has changed since I left.

Good company but a lack of focus at senior levels

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsReasonable benefits including annual leave and healthcare.
    Worklife balance is encourages in most teams.
    Online training courses are freely available.

ConsTR purchase new companies constantly but fail to integrate the business.
    Management are too focussed on growth and risk existing staff morale.

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention to employees and existing customers, the future is built on us.

meh

Client Services Executive (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosholidays and large company. diverse group of people to work with.

Conspoor management, micro management, poor development.

Advice to Senior Managementsee above

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!