Thomson Reuters

3.3
2,460 Reviews

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules that allows one to establish a good work-life balance (in 399 reviews)

• Work from home was very much allowed and many times encouraged to balance work/life (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares (in 42 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

140 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Long career, but decided to leave due to poor senior management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great career opportunities and fantastic people to work with. The work/life balance used to be good but is being eroded.

Cons

As above, the work/life balance is slowly being eroded. The constant redundancies are demoralising and promotions are based on whether you are part of the boys club and no longer based on skill and ability. Such a shame.

Start recognising the good performers and stop giving jobs to the boys. Don't lose the moral compass that used to be so prevalent.

Best place to work .. you get to work on what you were interviewed for

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment, considerate people, focus on development, leadership and technology focused growth

Cons

May be more focus on only domain specific technologies, lot of people working from long time so lack of dynamism or competition

I think keeping its always good to keep good balance of old and new generation of programmers so that you can best of cutting edge with backing of experience.

Interesting work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most colleagues are good and knowledgeable about their work. Pleasantly surprised by pay offered. HR department efficient and not overbearing.

I find myself trusted far more than at previous employers.

Cons

Functions are scattered across various locations, leading to a large meetings burden and confused job roles.

Support services often unbelievably bad. Procedure for procurement slapdash, department needs to be constantly chivvied into action. Staff on IT helpdesk really unable to offer help as they know less about IT than I do. If call appears to be difficult it is quietly closed.

Intranet getting filled with junk.

Concentrate staff who need to cooperate onto one, maybe two sites. Locate support services as far as possible in the same building as the staff whom they are supposed to support. Employ fewer more talented support staff. Stop undermining staff working on quality products by simultaneously marketing cheaper low-quality "alternatives".

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good experience. Good company to work for. I will recommend it. Going through a lot of reorganizing at the moment.

Former Employee - Technical Specialist  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Mature, family like culture. Great people working there. Good training. Good overall compensation package. I recommend it. I had a very good experience working for TR.

Cons

I cannot think of anything.

Long term employee feedback at Thomson Reuters

Current Employee - Client Implementation Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Client Implementation Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good office culture, some great people working there. Flexible home working available.

Cons

Post merger, company is bloated at management level and as a result RE has repeated reorganizations so that eventually regardless of how excellent an individual is in their role or how valuable they are to a specific revenue stream, changes in management lead to such people being lost. I have seen this several times.

Invest more in staff and be clear on the mission

big corporate

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

large employer, good perks, job for life if you play the game and are not career minded. constantly evolving and many diverse divisions so in some areas it has the cultural benefits of working for a small employer but with the benefits of a large organisation. Reasonable salaries and structured grading

Cons

large company lots of politics, lots of staff just stay working with no clear career path or direction, Some parts of the business have a culture of expecting staff to be in the office and to be seen.

Challenging, but quite slow paced

Former Employee - Senior Sales Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Global company, internal and international movement encouraged.

Cons

Lack of identity, too many buyouts of other companies, lacked focus

Dont promise ICs things that you dont ultimately deliver on

Two sides to this company

Current Employee - Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fascinating company with great products and interesting colleagues. The passion exhibited by employees is inspiring. Compensation and benefits are aligned well against the external market and the reputation of the company really enhances your CV.

Cons

This is entirely my experience of my particular division as I know others in the Company work in a more logical structure...

There's an inability of management to delegate responsibility and therefore all decisions are made by committee so consequently very little is achieved. Far too many Director/VP roles and very few people to carry out the work that needs to happen. No career progression - promotions are not an option and teams change through external hires. Recent restructure means roles are far narrower - which makes the role content far less rewarding and far more mundane.

Continue with the overall company direction, but focus in on less productive areas - possibly using satisfaction and attrition scores!

Quite good working atmosphere

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large corporation with a lot of possibilities. The leadership is flexible which is good. You can have some freedom when making choices. The office is very nice.

Cons

As every corporation there is a lot of politics and corporate play. I did not like that. Sometimes you will work with teams on different continents and that hurts your performance because you will be time constrained to time zones.

The management should discuss more career progress and promotion opportunities within the company.

Good culture but need to invest in growing areas

Current Employee - Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance. However not enough regional balance too much control from NY which leads to them not totally understanding regional requirements

Cons

not enough investment in growing areas and not enough spend on technology

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!