Thomson Reuters

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith

James C. Smith

303 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great bunch of employees to work with, downfall has been profits at all cost.

Director, Product Management (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsPeople were great to work with across most of the offices. Training was available and company provided Tuition reimbursement of $5500/year. Work from home was very much allowed and many times encouraged to balance work/life.

ConsCompany was a very large bureaucracy and with so many people in many disparate areas, it was a challenge to maintain facetime. Work from home is nice but TR had a mit of a problem with out of sight, out of mind mentality which caused many good folks to lose their jobs as execs in NY would make random determinations of who and from what offices should go. B/c it is a for profit company, short term profits became much more important than building a long-term and growing organization. As a result, layoffs continue to occur even though at the outset of the Thomson Financial/Reuters merger, management stated that no more than 10% right-sizing would occur. At this point, I would bet it is closer to 40% or more.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Board should oversee management and should engage more outside directors, as management has engaged in cost-savings approaches that have impacted the day-to-day employees through moving payment of bonuses out 3-4 months for the short term and one-time cost savings across the company, that ultimately make employees dissatisfied, lower morale and increase attrition of significant content manqagement and developent skills and knowledge.

Behemoth "highly matrixed organization" that is trying to change

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat training opportunties. A lot of good people. Organization is trying to get with the times and become more strategic. Culture in my own New York office is great, with a lot of inventive activities and informal but get things done attitude. Great attempts at helping to create a work life balance. Pay is market rate.

ConsLots of restructuring, all the time, at the top levels which creates a slight mood of instability.
    Many decisions made are political, with very little on the ground knowledge helping to inform those decisions.
    Focus is on how to get the most out of customers rather than providing products to meet customer needs. Sales teams have too many products to push, making it internally competitive for the marketing teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just pay lip service to customer first -- embrace it on all levels and profits will follow.

Lots of management change.

Human Resources Analyst (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsDecent compensation and pleasant colleagues. The work environment was flexible but also required some face-time.

ConsUpper management and strategy changed every few months. Nothing in the US seemed to be growing. Company culture was undefined at best. At worst, it was a conflicting amalgamation of the many different cultures of numerous acquisitions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company culture needed to be better defined. Most of the products came from acquisitions.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Far too frequent Reductions In Force

New York, NY

ProsCompensation is fairly competitive. Somewhat flexible work hours for some employees.

ConsLack of stability. Frequent reorganizations and reduction in force, so employees work in a constant state on uncertainty.

Not like it used to be...

Client Facing (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsBig company with a lot of resources(which they continually manage to squander). Prior to Thomson bungling their purchase of Reuters(Hey, I'll buy that $500k house for $30mil.) it was a great place to work as the Brit influence meant great benefits. As Thomson realized(and still is) their guffaw, it's turned into a resource cutting mill as the Woodbridge Trust isn't laughing about the accumulated losses since the merger.

ConsDepends where you land..TR is a huge company made up of a lot of small non-cooperating fiefdoms. Each unit has it's overlords and they're pro's at playing the "you watch my back and I'll watch yours" game.

So, net net, those that really know their stuff, usually don't get the promotions.

Very cliquey environment and advancement is primarily based on whose butt you kiss..

Also, this company practices agism like nobody's business. Of all the job cuts in the past number of years(and there's been A LOT), it seems like the over 50's are the first to go. In fairness, this is a societal issue.

And going back to before the merger, both companies had a record of growing through acquisitions. And on the Reuters side, for some unexplained reason, the people who built the products/companies they bought, left after all the mergers. So, good luck getting something fixed for a client on a legacy platform.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to re-think the hiring/promotion process as the wrong people are landing in important slots. Of course, it's natural for a hiring manager to want input on such a decision but at TR, this is a dangerous practice. The higher ups at TR have no idea about the industry they're in so of course they shouldn't be called upon to judge hires for this essential quality. I can't tell you how many managers over there couldn't tell you the difference between a CDS and CVS pharmacy..which would be funny if not for the fact that they sell to the financial industry.

Great company if you can stay.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsTop notch benefits. There are opportunities to make internal moves. Colleagues are great to work with and very supportive.

ConsIn the most recent years there has been constant organizational changes and reduction of personnel. These changes have reduced availability of training and professional development.

Great brand

Vice President Marketing (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsCulture and people are wonderful

ConsComplex organization. Few career opportunities

Global News and Financial services company with lot of potential.

Software Development Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsStarted working here as met some greatly talented and smart people.

ConsThomson Reuters management is in constant churn. Its a revolving door of people from the few competitors. They tend to be people who are well paid but are just reorg experts and ooking to fill their pockets. On the way out just leaving the people who really care about the company in a disrupted state to pick up the pieces. Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares. Sometimes its just long long days working with a new vision and new managment year after year.

Advice to Senior ManagementI suggest taking some time to find out who the real doers within the organizations are. Recognizing them and incentivizing them big time. Trust employees more than contractors and nurture internal talent as opposed to always trusting outside technology and talent.
    Listen to your customers and make them a partner by vesting them. Once you win their trust they will be willing to work with you if you are honest with them.

Developer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThey provide benefits, it counts as Pros. It is hard to find what else...

ConsEikon division is an ugly place to work in. Completely talentless middle management, rude, screaming and lying boss. I could not read Dilbert cartoon while I was working there. It resembled my life too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementScrap middle management. Think why there were so many failed projects?

We have MASTERED the art of laying off

New York, NY

ProsCompany starts you out with a better than norm salary

ConsDon't expect merit increases or bonuses once you are hired

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge the work of your employees. Show some appreciation other than laying them off.

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Thomson Reuters reviews and ratings in New York, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Thomson Reuters CEO James C. Smith. All 303 reviews posted anonymously by Thomson Reuters employees.