Thomson Reuters

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.2 2,336 reviews

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith

James C. Smith

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules that allows one to establish a good work-life balance (in 399 reviews)

• Work from home was very much allowed and many times encouraged to balance work/life (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares (in 42 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights
2,336 Employee Reviews

Great Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEncourages diversity, good pay, great offices, office culture is the best in all the places I've worked. The company cares about work/life balance, HR seems to know what they are doing.

ConsThere is not a lot of advancement, I started in an entry level position and it takes a few years to be considered for promotion. There is not a lot of places to climb up the ladder. Granted, the company encourages you to flow in other business units.

Good first job

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

Pros-Core hours of 9-3, easy to work around life schedule
    -Good introduction to Agile, TFS, TDD
    -Understanding managers

Cons-Customers wanted quick, cheap results that ended up spawning time consuming + expensive bugs
    -Small raises, delayed so it wouldn't have to pay out several months' worth of higher salary
    -Mediocre benefits

Advice to Senior Management-Speak up when you know something is wrong. If it's obvious that there's going to be a problem down the line (where you know we're going to have to completely refactor/rewrite chunks of code), find another solution

A Great Internship

ProsThomson Reuters has provided tremendous structure and networking opportunities. The internship has been great.

ConsThe company is so complex, that it took several weeks to really understand what the revenue streams were and how things worked.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good with everything

Prosgood with all the people and project

Consnot much to comment on this part

Good people, but company always in transition mode

ProsGood environment with managers trying to help their employees advance their careers, work life balance is good

ConsC level management always changing, with new priorities and transformation initiatives every 3 months. Company is desperately trying to become an innovative growth company like Apple, but never quite gets there. Pay is just okay.

Great to work for the market leader.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities to learn the political atmosphere of a large & global organization.

ConsLeadership is not empowered to impact change and as a result, the business seems to be moving further from client needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower the people closest to the information. Allow those folks to to have a real voice in strategy.

Progressive culture puts trust into employees' hands

Senior Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsRecession proof industry, focus on work/life balance is great, extremely competent and transparent leadership, it's fun to work for a company with a positive, winning culture and who trusts employees enough to empower them to make decisions about how to approach work.

ConsGood luck moving up in the company - they either hire from the outside to replace someone in management who left or don't bother replacing the manager at all and just pile the departed manager's responsibilities onto other managers and staff.

Good People to Work With

Senior Analyst (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLike the title says, there are some good, intelligent people employed in this company and ample chance to get to work with different business units.

ConsSalary seemed to be on the lower side(heard often enough), and opportunities for promotion did not come around much at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpward mobility options need to be less few and far between. Options for working from home would be a good avenue to explore further.

Product Specialist

ProsEmployee Perks, European time off style policies, Great team environment

ConsUpward growth limited by location.

Good solid company to work for

Financial Analyst II (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsGood work life balance. Company culture is not chaotic or hectic but still very professional.

ConsCompany is not back filling positions left by other analysts so work load is piling up and also it seems harder to move up and be promoted

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!