Thomson Reuters Reviews

3.3
2,905 Reviews
Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance is quite good since they are very flexible with the working hours (in 474 reviews)

• Flexible timings - You are not forced to spend 9Hrs if no work - you can work from home (in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares (in 47 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming (in 86 reviews)

1. Featured Review

I loved working here

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Working in a news room is exciting. As an agency news producer, this job gave me a lot of hands on experience and put me in a position to cover breaking news, and make decisions about what to cover and how to cover it.

Cons

This company does not take good care of its employees. I worked here for 5 years, and never received a raise. Health and other benefits were minimal. I was sent into dangerous work without the proper training or equipment. A very testosterone-driven atmosphere with big egos

Give your employees an opportunity for a career. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

Mar 20, 2015Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your contribution, observation and valued feedback. Concerns on compensation can be addressed with your manager and respective human resource representative. Health and benefits ... More

2. Investment and Risk Division: Great People, great company but all priority goes to one or two products

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters

Pros

The company has great people and great potential. The working atmosphere and work life balance is good. Despite many mergers and changes in management the company maintains a good sense of self and history. Now a very diversified company across all divisions.

Cons

Within the Investment and Risk Division the lions share of focus and investment goes to only a few products while others with massive potential are left "keeping the lights on". Management structure changes fairly regularly.

While the concept of a unified platform is definitely the right way to go they need to ensure that the constant management changes and reduction in cost does not erode products or content sets that are at the cornerstone of the financial services business. A company of this size needs depth and priority across the full portfolio. Not just on the desktop and real-time services. given the staff and expertise TR has market leading potential.

3. Good place to work

I worked at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Good environment
    Easy to meet other people in different departments
    good work-life balance

Cons

The i.d was annoying because as a contractor, after a few months the id would stop working without any notifications

Depending on the Business Unit, will impact the degree of job satisfaction - as culture and performance varies by BU

Current Employee - Vice President Strategy in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President Strategy in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Tax and Accounting is a very good place to work!

Cons

Not always the fastest paths to promotion

6. Good work environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professional large global company. Work environment is pleasant and accommodating. Employees have access to good social tools, technologies, etc.

Good employee portal to get you organized with HR, Benefits, etc. Various employee activities such as yearly health screening, yearly holiday party, etc.

Competitive vacation benefits (at least for those of us that has been here for many years).

Cons

Over the years benefits (401k, health care), etc. have been getting worse compared to the good old day. However, it is competitive with current market. Just nothing to talk about like it used to be.

7. Great Experience as an Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Flexible work hours.
    Great team.
    Fun place to work
    Work-Life Balance

Cons

Benefits as an intern are not great

Mar 24, 2015Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your valuable contribution as an intern.

8. Thomson Reuters - Eagan Campus

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They just built a health care center for employees and contractors. It's a lot more affordable than using our health insurance outside the company. Their cafeteria food is conveniently there, but not very good and expensive. Their work/lifebalance is very good though. Working from home is also an option for many people.

Cons

-Lots of meetings that could have been a quick email.
    -Too many layoffs of the actual works and not management.
    -They don't seem to promote.... ever.

Promote your employees. Make them feel good, not bad about themselves.

9. I love this company.

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Great life work balance. Flexible schedule as well as a pretty decent benefit package. Nice perks like the employee stock purchase program.

Cons

Raises do not always seem to be based on merit. I believe they should be. Reward those who work hard and not those who create more work for others.

Perhaps a little more attention should be paid to who contributes and who really doesn't. Overall a great company though.

10. Challenged

Current Employee - Minnesota in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Minnesota in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Thomson Reuters is a company that provides a wide variety of work and is constantly changing so there is always something exciting to work on.

Cons

Most work in the office 5 days a week--it would be nice to have more remote work from home days

Mar 20, 2015Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your time, feedback and contribution to a culture of results while striving professionally and being a part of exciting change.

Work from home flexibility varies between business
    ... More

11. Manager

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Good benefits. A lot of opportunities.

Cons

Majority of the time I work a lot of hours.