Thomson Reuters

Updated Aug 1, 2014

3.2 2,340 reviews

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith

James C. Smith

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules that allows one to establish a good work-life balance (in 399 reviews)

• Work from home was very much allowed and many times encouraged to balance work/life (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares (in 42 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights
2,340 Employee Reviews

Company Culture

ProsGreat working environment, good work life balance.

ConsCommunication between leadership team and employees can be improved.

Struggling without a clear direction and lacking stability

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsGood work-life balance. Pretty good internal communications system on an intranet. Starting to make an effort to recognize importance of culture.

ConsActions speak louder than words and the negative culture actions are louder than the positive words. Short term outlook as planning is very responsive and very reactive. Very much a "flavor of the year" type approach to goals, themes and strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has developed an "enterprise" focus for the business, but remains very vague about what it means, making it difficult to get behind as there is little substance to the words and little action other than senior management changes. Business as usual continues with urgent calls for growth at little to no cost.

good

Info Specialist (Former Employee) Phila, PA

Prosvery flexible and friendly atmosphere

Conslarge company with too many businesses.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Constant reorganization doesn't boost morale

Senior Marketer (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsGood work-life balance if you are in a department that supports this. Good health care and dental benefits. Compensation is competitive.

ConsPromotions are not based on merit. This is the only company I've worked for that requires you to interview for a position in order to get promoted. Management is so top-heavy, it creates a lot of inefficiencies. The constant reorgs usually mean cuts in management. This makes it less appealing to ever try for a management role if there is a constant fear of getting let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out the goals for the company and stick with them. Stop the constant reshuffling. Take advice from companies like Cargill, and adopt the philosophy, "hire to retire". Showing you value the talents of your employees by promotion, not lay-offs might encourage top performance.

Quite good working atmosphere

Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsLarge corporation with a lot of possibilities. The leadership is flexible which is good. You can have some freedom when making choices. The office is very nice.

ConsAs every corporation there is a lot of politics and corporate play. I did not like that. Sometimes you will work with teams on different continents and that hurts your performance because you will be time constrained to time zones.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management should discuss more career progress and promotion opportunities within the company.

People focussed - the place to be

ProsMost favorable shift woth cab facility - Great place to learn

ConsPay not really the best. Opportunities not that great

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication can be much better

Excellent benefits, horrible upper management/business planning

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits at Thomson Reuters were honestly the best I've ever had. The pay is also good. However, I found out at this job that while those things are great and I now miss them, they don't make up for a completely crazy business plan.

ConsWhen I first started this job it was great, then around the fourth year of my five years with the company, it all started going downhill. Management either didn't care at all on some days or micromanaged to the greatest extent possible on others. There were weeks where my boss just wouldn't show up to work and his boss would call me looking for him. Also, the ethics of some of the editors are questionable at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay close attention to lower management and listen to exit interviews.

Great people to work with.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat collaborative and multicultural atmosphere, especially before the acquisition of Reuters by Thomson.

Conssome managers are not being held accountable for their performance

Advice to Senior Managementlimited training opportunities

Good first job

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

Pros-Core hours of 9-3, easy to work around life schedule
    -Good introduction to Agile, TFS, TDD
    -Understanding managers

Cons-Customers wanted quick, cheap results that ended up spawning time consuming + expensive bugs
    -Small raises, delayed so it wouldn't have to pay out several months' worth of higher salary
    -Mediocre benefits

Advice to Senior Management-Speak up when you know something is wrong. If it's obvious that there's going to be a problem down the line (where you know we're going to have to completely refactor/rewrite chunks of code), find another solution

Good experience

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

Prosver good work environment. Quality of work is good

ConsNo growth, No salary hike comparitevely. Repetitive work.

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!