Thomson Reuters

3.3
2,658 Reviews

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance is quite good since they are very flexible with the working hours (in 474 reviews)

• Flexible timings - You are not forced to spend 9Hrs if no work - you can work from home (in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares (in 47 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good and they have a number of good career opportunities. Lots of change is always happening and you have a chance to work across other departments.

Cons

Sales environment has a lot of turn-over and the products are more complex, so it takes a while to get new employees up-to-speed. The company is trying to break-out into different products and it's taking some additional time to adjust.

Lots of growth opportunities for those who want it

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company values, benefits, people and work space

Cons

recent lay offs due to business reasons

Good company to work for. Make your numbers and most likely you will not be micro-managed.

Former Employee - Law Firm Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Law Firm Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can make money in sales if you follow the comp plan. Lot's of freedom and perks if you work hard and push the products that they are recommending.

Cons

The comp plan changes frequently. Always have a solid pipeline as things change, so will your income.

Support the sales organization of the company and stop trying to change things when reps are hitting their numbers.

Great international presence and brand, great colleagues, poor senior management and deteriorating culture

Former Employee - Capital Markets Advisory Services in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Capital Markets Advisory Services in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Thomson Reuters is a well-known brand and, depending on what segment you are working in, is a market leader in many areas.

Cons

The company still can't find its identity post-merger and is still struggling to deliver one streamlined product offering that integrates all of its bolt-on acquisitions = lots of layoffs in the past few year, plenty more coming.

Please come up with a better strategy. You are losing to a company that insists on making the interface of its product look like something from a mid-90s video game.

Research Consultant

Former Employee - Research Consultant, Legal
    Former Employee - Research Consultant, Legal

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In terms of schedule and location, this is the most flexible place I've ever worked -- lots of freedom to work remotely and autonomy to make your own choices about how you work as long as you are present when needed and accomplishing your goals. People are friendly and pleasant. Travel is more minimal than I expected, though I didn't work in sales. The constant fluctuations via acquisition/development and re-organization (see Cons) have an upside of creating lots of opportunities to evolve your position, move into new areas, and in some cases, move up.

Cons

The biggest issue is insecurity due to inconsistency from executives. The company is constantly acquiring and divesting, and we re-organized so frequently it was almost a joke. This means lots of people live in constant, justified paranoia of being laid off. It seemed like we had a new executive team every 6 months, with new ideas about where we were going and how we would get there. It doesn't sound that bad, but by the time I left (I was laid off, obviously), I was exhausted and stressed from constantly trying to re-define my role and adjust to new bosses and new strategies. It was almost a relief to lose this job because I'd been expecting the layoff to come for so long -- not a great sign.

Executive team needs to figure out long term strategies and stick to them, and do a better job of communicating those strategies to the rank and file in a timely and effective manner. Projects begin, are placed under intense deadlines and expectations, and then die abruptly, undermining morale. And employees can never be sure how secure their position is, which further undermines morale and can result in inefficiency and negativity. Management can also hide behind that famous Minnesota passive-aggressiveness -- lying to people that everything is great when it's not, or reassuring folks who have every reason to be concerned about their jobs isn't kind, it's cruel.

A Company in Decline

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Regular organizational change meant regular opportunities for new roles and advancement.
    The culture was action and delivery focused. There was never a question about hitting numbers.

Cons

The politics were extreme. Colleagues were happier to see a rival go down than to see the company succeed.

Start building more of a data oriented culture, and reward people for collaboration.
    Slow down on changes, and allow the organization time to settle.

Not a very enjoyable experience

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For the right person I'm sure it's a great place with lots to learn. There's probably good career growth too if you are technically gifted. However, it's just for me. Most of the people are pretty creepy walking around where I am (data center) - so if you are a supernerd with under-developed emotional intelligence, you'll fit right in. I think it more a "me" thing - in that I had to figure out for myself that I don't want to gt up and drive to a place where I sit and stare at screens all day, not interacting with other human beings. Makes life even less exciting.

Cons

Oh good god this would be a long list - hopefully I was just really unlucky with all the "restructuring", but damn - pretty harsh the way the way a bunch of people were recently "let go" without any real explanation. They just send out extremely vague and ambiguous emails talking about the "strategy and vision" - never addressing the human aspect of a job. Then one day, you'll unexpectedly receive a meeting invite titled "catch-up", and you essentially get fired by some guy you've never even had a conversation with before. How do the other people survive? Seems like the veterans just ignore all of it, keep to themselves, and hope they don't take it hard in the you know what..

Very little communication - most people have no idea what the hell is going on. Very uncomfortable and awkward conversations on a daily basis. Horrible performance management system - never really got any feedback about anything. Lots of issues related to principal-agent problem here.

Pull your head out.

Good company to work for, but it could be so much better...

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a good work life balance, and overall the pay and benefits are pretty good. The people are generally friendly (Minnesota nice) and accommodating.

Cons

While there is opportunity to move up, it tends to be more seniority based than merit based. Additionally they focus too much on short-term results and are constantly restructuring

Invest in your people more and flatten the organizational structure. The vision sounds great, but it just is not permeating through all the layers of management. There is a lot of talk about being more innovative, but new ideas tend to be ignored.

IT Department

I worked at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Direct management was great to work for. Staff is dedicated and hard working.

Cons

It appeared middle management are limited with making changes by upper management, both with process and technology.

Trust your staff.

Good place to start a career but don't stay too long

Current Employee - Product Support in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Product Support in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are very supportive and offer a lot of training. This job helped me put my foot in the door and start in the work force.

Cons

Work is receptive, very unclear how/if you can move up in the company. Boring company work culture.