Thomson Reuters

3.3
2,756 Reviews

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance is quite good since they are very flexible with the working hours (in 474 reviews)

• Flexible timings - You are not forced to spend 9Hrs if no work - you can work from home (in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares (in 47 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

Never again, please choose wisely

Former Employee - Naa in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Naa in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Fortune 500 promises, immature managers given jobs by their parents 15 years ago.

Cons

Tough being caught in the middle of a childhood sandbox fight and dozens of people called into HR over who's ego is most stoked by acquiring headcount, all while simultaneously being threatened by your manager not to tell the truth.

Hire people who have been there and proven themselves, not those that see industry wide problems but feel they are so smart there is simply a new fangled process that will turn overpaid blue collar worked into IT professionals. And please no more spoiled children of managers from the 80s-90s

Marketing Manager

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance, flexible schedule in within the global roles, decent benefits, big campus

Cons

very political, too much emphases on creating "beautiful" and "complex" presentations vs actually analyzing the information and moving forward with execution

Don't let where you fall on the hierarchy determine those you'll "allow" yourself to spend time getting know, hear what the worker bees have to say and what they see needs to happen for success and weigh it against what upper management sees. There are more ways to look at things than just by what upper management sees.

Good but not great

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance. Up to date technology use, innovative. More than average pay.

Cons

Not great. For some unknown, strange reason - it's boring:) (which may be my problem).

Does not entirely empower the curious, nerdy software engineer.

It not empowering the nerdy software engineer.. Empower the nerd.

Great people, great opportunities, lots of room for growth and climbing the ladder

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

great people, great work environment, good working groups, global company, can be working with people across the country, opportunity to travel, etc.

Cons

some organizational blunders. they have fired batches of people several times. some groups don't work well together

Very stable company

Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of job security and emphasis on work-life balance

Cons

Great place to start your career, but may not be a long-term solution if you are ambitious

Kill bad ideas early

Software Engineer II

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Great benefits and vacation time. Management is great. My boss is always willing to work with us on anything. As long as you get your 8 hours in they are pretty flexible about start/ending times. New facility with coffee and filtered water. Starbucks in the building! Tuition Reimbursement is not the best, but it is pretty good.

Cons

Some of the typical big company protocol, like yearly reviews and paperwork. Internet can be really slow sometimes which makes it hard to do work.

Good place

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Very good benefits and nice learning opportunity

Cons

The company is too big.

Software development and Leadership

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

ability to move around, great people to work with, variety of industries developing for, clear mission

Cons

struggling to hit targets each year and in cost cutting mode for the majority of the businesses

Company is Changing -- and Not in a Good Way

Former Employee - Journalist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Journalist in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters

Pros

It is a global company that presents opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

Newsroom managers fail to clearly articulate goals to staff. What was once an open, inclusive and diverse culture has given way to cronyism under latest management.

Research Consultant

Former Employee - Research Consultant, Legal
    Former Employee - Research Consultant, Legal

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In terms of schedule and location, this is the most flexible place I've ever worked -- lots of freedom to work remotely and autonomy to make your own choices about how you work as long as you are present when needed and accomplishing your goals. People are friendly and pleasant. Travel is more minimal than I expected, though I didn't work in sales. The constant fluctuations via acquisition/development and re-organization (see Cons) have an upside of creating lots of opportunities to evolve your position, move into new areas, and in some cases, move up.

Cons

The biggest issue is insecurity due to inconsistency from executives. The company is constantly acquiring and divesting, and we re-organized so frequently it was almost a joke. This means lots of people live in constant, justified paranoia of being laid off. It seemed like we had a new executive team every 6 months, with new ideas about where we were going and how we would get there. It doesn't sound that bad, but by the time I left (I was laid off, obviously), I was exhausted and stressed from constantly trying to re-define my role and adjust to new bosses and new strategies. It was almost a relief to lose this job because I'd been expecting the layoff to come for so long -- not a great sign.

Executive team needs to figure out long term strategies and stick to them, and do a better job of communicating those strategies to the rank and file in a timely and effective manner. Projects begin, are placed under intense deadlines and expectations, and then die abruptly, undermining morale. And employees can never be sure how secure their position is, which further undermines morale and can result in inefficiency and negativity. Management can also hide behind that famous Minnesota passive-aggressiveness -- lying to people that everything is great when it's not, or reassuring folks who have every reason to be concerned about their jobs isn't kind, it's cruel.