Thomson Reuters

3.3
2,627 Reviews

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance is quite good since they are very flexible with the working hours (in 474 reviews)

• Flexible timings - You are not forced to spend 9Hrs if no work - you can work from home (in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares (in 47 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

Very positive, but recent struggles have taken the fun out of it.

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great product enjoyed by its customers

Cons

Great product is WAY overpriced. Customers starting to cancel many subscriptions and this is why pay is flat and people are always being cut.

Be bold. Change the entire go to market approach. Print is gone! Its just a matter of time. Westlaw will shrink, its just a matter of time. Get ahead of this and lead the way.

SOftware Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good location, good pay, decent outlook, generally satisfied

Cons

too long hours, too many changes, re-orgs, layoffs, etc

stop all the changes

Good people

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Pay check, people, atmosphere, customers

Cons

Commute to work. I could have moved closer, but I really enjoyed my house.

Telecommute agreements

Great place to be a research analyst for awhile...

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A truly diverse and global company filled with some truly knowledgeable people ; a great opportunity to collaborate with smart and open colleagues. Great perks and benefits to boot.

Cons

The actual merger between Thomson and Reuters seemed a bit haphazard, there seemed to be a lack of direction for some organizations. Organizational restructuring wasn't always well conceived.

OUTSTANDING

Current Employee - Technology Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technology Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professionalism in its senior corporate staff.

Cons

Much travel is often required.

Continue to be honest and transparent with staff.

Very Good..

I worked at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Everything they had to offer

Cons

None of the above applied

All good

Excellent company to work for, but requires patience and a willingness to work well with large teams.

Former Employee - Vice President, Services in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Vice President, Services in Waltham, MA

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very employee-centric. Strong commitments to employee development; salaries and benefits were very good. Found that, in general, people were very talented and innovative.

Cons

The biggest challenge is that things move VERY slowly, and even minor decisions seem to require a committee to make them. The other thing is that all work is underestimated relative to time and cost, and that missing deadlines is just considered normal; this is a problem for many people.

Empower more and hold people more accountable. Continue your strong communication style and the way you care for employees.

I honestly think that one day the stress in this company will kill someone - luckily it wasn't me

Former Employee - Network Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'll have to get back to you on that one

Cons

As others have noted previously, the slavish requirements to keep share price and dividend high results in an annual round of redundancies, interspersed with ad-hoc redundancies. This has a two-fold effect on stress levels - people are perpetually terrified of being made redundant, and after every cull the survivors have yet more work shovelled onto their plates. When departments start to be shrunk by 80, 90%, then the stress levels imposed on the survivors becomes untenable and inhumane. When I joined the company I was fit and healthy - now my health is ruined, leaving me a shadow of my former self who will never work again. I am genuinely concerned that one day someone will pay the ultimate price for these stress levels.

Another common thread is how out of touch the senior managers are, and this was certainly true when I was there. The EXCOMM act as if they live in a Nuclear Bunker, occasionally sending out corporate announcements and pronouncements like a group of Dictators. They seem to have absolutely NO IDEA of the reality on the ground for their staff. They have no idea what it is like to have no training for DECADES at a time; receive below inflation pay rises (or pay cuts as they are also known); do the work of 8 or 9 people; spend YEARS working with people in your team that you will NEVER meet because the only people getting to travel is the EXCOMM in their Learjets. Not once, EVER, being able to go out for as drink with your team because their is no entertainment budget....unless you are in the EXCOMM.

I think the actions of the EXCOMM are a disgrace, but there is still time to salvage something. My advice would be to leave your bunkers and visit every office (not just NY, Eagen and Docklands). I mean, EVERY office. Shake peoples hands. Sit next to staff. Watch what they do. Find out the difficulties they face. Ask questions. Listen to their fears. Ask what they need. Go for a drink with them.

But this will involve leaving their bunkers......so it'll never happen

Long Term Employees - No Growth Opportunity

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Generous Vacation
    Good Health Care Benefits

Cons

Depending on the Business Group you were associated with you may go no where fast.
    Salary was not commiserate with the work.
    Constant Reorganization and LayOffs

Nepotism does not work long term. Invest in your people.

too big of a company, don't care about their employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When I started there it was West Group. At that time they cared about their employees and realized that they had lives outside of work. I had a manager say you have two jobs; one paid by money and one by love and sometimes they overlap. He understood that.

There was a lot of room for growth if you chose to do it when you first become an employee. If you wait, that opportunity is lost

Cons

As the company grew there was less focus on the individual employees. It became more about how much money you can make the cmopany. I became just a number. I had only one month that struggled in 13 years of employement. Rather then asking why, I was written up for not making my quota

Treat the employes like a person and not just a number