Thomson Reuters

3.3
2,451 Reviews

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules that allows one to establish a good work-life balance (in 399 reviews)

• Work from home was very much allowed and many times encouraged to balance work/life (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares (in 42 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Worked as intern from Jun to Dec

Current Employee - Quantitative Research Data Analyst Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Quantitative Research Data Analyst Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thomson Reuters as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-Very relaxed environment
    -Great work life balance
    -Very informal management
    -Close knit team

Cons

-Low pay,
    -Need to have a phd for career advancement(in the starmine research team at least)
    -Management needs to give more performance feedback

Zero career progression, stale culture - West Coast Sales Team

Current Employee - Sales  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice people to work with, good approach to working-from-home and vacation, personal time

Cons

A lazy culture of underperformance for the most part. The good staff are in the minority. Stale culture - no real changes ever. Constant cost cutting. Senior management tends to employ and promote their buddies, not the best employee. Don't expect promotions, and expect to fight for a raise. Good performers are not rewarded proactively. Very lazy staff are abundant. A lot of very poor people managers among senior ranks. They happen to be friends of leadership, and are good at managing up but terrible at managing teams, instead cause tons of conflict. West coast sales team needs shaking up. Too much conflict and no inspiration.

When cost cutting (annually!), cull the underperformers not just randomly. Don't fire someone because their manager doesn't like them, even though they are widely respected. Shake things up, ask the staff what is going on the ground level rather than relying on managers who manage up very well, but don't manage their teams well.

Client Specialist

Former Employee - Client Specialist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Client Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible hours, great fellow employees

Cons

Management had no clear direction and would change policy and direction with the wind. Job titles and positions changed regularly but the job and work stayed the same.

Get a direction or course and stick to it. Make products and services simple easy to use. Be the best in the area you want to compete in versus we have good content ....... content is King but so is ease of use getting to the information.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked with really smart people.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thomson Reuters as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked with a great group of people. Software developers and QA worked close together with mutual respect. Local management created an environment where we were able to produce innovative and powerful software. There was a real team mentality where we all learned from one another,

Cons

Corporate management used contractors heavily which created a 2 tier system. People doing the same jobs have different pay, benefits and security. The response to missing earning estimates seemed to be to allow contracts to expire instead of making decisions based on strategic goals and needs.

Reward the teams that produce high quality products and try to keep them intact.

It is research Intern about Quantative finance

Current Employee - Research Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thomson Reuters as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Obtained many knowledge about Quantative finance by researching in the fluctuation of stock price. Good work condition with many smart guys.

Cons

The networking is very limited here, and just meet with team members every time. More important, the work opportunity is very limited. It is hard to become a full time employee after Intern.

Provide more networking between coworkers. And give more opportunities or information to Intern who really have ability to work there.

Experience depends on department

Former Employee - Product Specialist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large company, room for growth both within a single department or inter-departmentally, great benefits

Cons

Management a bit disorganized. I moved from the Times Square office and working for a PMO to a small office in San Francisco and there was a palpable difference in the overall quaility of my employment experience. The San Francisco office atmosphere was noticeably less congenial, there lacked room for growth, managerial support and overall communication between groups failed.

Manage your employees opposed to just trying to save face. Keep messaging consistent.

A very frustrating and boring place to work

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

It's a very good lifestyle job. No one works more than 8 hours a day and never on the weekends.

Cons

Since I have joined there has been a major reorganization every 6-8 months. Last year there were not any raises and the previous year the bonus was only at 50%. It's a very disfunctional culture that rewards mediocrity. I'll get the same raise and bonus if I give 100% effort or if I work at 50%, so I have no incentive to put in any extra effort.

Management needs to empower employees and be more customer driven. All product design and features are defined internally without any formal process for user testing or user feedback

Working at TR

Former Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a Stable company

Cons

It is a Very Traditional company

Integrate business units more effectively

Tough but worth it after 7 years

Current Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good learning ground and launch pad

Cons

Below par compensations no work life balance eventually

Typical large company - a lot of politics but some good opportunities if you're patient.

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

Decent work/life balance. Some interesting projects. You can get involved in fun projects if you take initiative. Offices worldwide offer some the chance to travel, or get assignments in other countries.

Cons

Big company politics. More big company politics. Just OK benefits. Pay raises have been rare over the last few years.

You need good tech people. You won't attract and retain good tech people unless you both offer interesting projects, and match the current salary trends.

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!