Thomson Reuters

Thomson Reuters Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Apr 25, 2014

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith

James C. Smith

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules that allows one to establish a good work-life balance (in 399 reviews)

• Work from home was very much allowed and many times encouraged to balance work/life (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares (in 42 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights
26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Experience depends on department

Product Specialist (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLarge company, room for growth both within a single department or inter-departmentally, great benefits

ConsManagement a bit disorganized. I moved from the Times Square office and working for a PMO to a small office in San Francisco and there was a palpable difference in the overall quaility of my employment experience. The San Francisco office atmosphere was noticeably less congenial, there lacked room for growth, managerial support and overall communication between groups failed.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage your employees opposed to just trying to save face. Keep messaging consistent.

Client Specialist

Client Specialist (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosflexible hours, great fellow employees

ConsManagement had no clear direction and would change policy and direction with the wind. Job titles and positions changed regularly but the job and work stayed the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a direction or course and stick to it. Make products and services simple easy to use. Be the best in the area you want to compete in versus we have good content ....... content is King but so is ease of use getting to the information.

Worked with really smart people.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI worked with a great group of people. Software developers and QA worked close together with mutual respect. Local management created an environment where we were able to produce innovative and powerful software. There was a real team mentality where we all learned from one another,

ConsCorporate management used contractors heavily which created a 2 tier system. People doing the same jobs have different pay, benefits and security. The response to missing earning estimates seemed to be to allow contracts to expire instead of making decisions based on strategic goals and needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the teams that produce high quality products and try to keep them intact.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked as intern from Jun to Dec

Quantitative Research Data Analyst Intern (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-Very relaxed environment
    -Great work life balance
    -Very informal management
    -Close knit team

Cons-Low pay,
    -Need to have a phd for career advancement(in the starmine research team at least)
    -Management needs to give more performance feedback

It is research Intern about Quantative finance

Research Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsObtained many knowledge about Quantative finance by researching in the fluctuation of stock price. Good work condition with many smart guys.

ConsThe networking is very limited here, and just meet with team members every time. More important, the work opportunity is very limited. It is hard to become a full time employee after Intern.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more networking between coworkers. And give more opportunities or information to Intern who really have ability to work there.

A very frustrating and boring place to work

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt's a very good lifestyle job. No one works more than 8 hours a day and never on the weekends.

ConsSince I have joined there has been a major reorganization every 6-8 months. Last year there were not any raises and the previous year the bonus was only at 50%. It's a very disfunctional culture that rewards mediocrity. I'll get the same raise and bonus if I give 100% effort or if I work at 50%, so I have no incentive to put in any extra effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to empower employees and be more customer driven. All product design and features are defined internally without any formal process for user testing or user feedback

Working at TR

Director (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt is a Stable company

ConsIt is a Very Traditional company

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate business units more effectively

Tough but worth it after 7 years

Director (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood learning ground and launch pad

ConsBelow par compensations no work life balance eventually

Meaningful and fulfilling

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsUsual benefits from working a tech job:
    1) working from home
    2) choosing your own work hours
    3) passionate coworkers

ConsStuck working on old technology.
    No real innovation, development work is very routine
    Weekly scrums are terrible for morale

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring contractors who work for a year then leave.

Typical large company - a lot of politics but some good opportunities if you're patient.

Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsDecent work/life balance. Some interesting projects. You can get involved in fun projects if you take initiative. Offices worldwide offer some the chance to travel, or get assignments in other countries.

ConsBig company politics. More big company politics. Just OK benefits. Pay raises have been rare over the last few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need good tech people. You won't attract and retain good tech people unless you both offer interesting projects, and match the current salary trends.

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!