Thomson Reuters (Scientific)

Updated November 3, 2014
Updated November 3, 2014
3.2

James C. Smith

Good company to work for.

I worked at Thomson Reuters (Scientific)

Pros

Salary and benefits very competitive. Professional growth encouraged. Family-friendly.

Cons

None, at least not in my experience.

None

Here is my diagnosis: hierarchical sclerosis!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Thomson Reuters (Scientific) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is higher than average and you can easily negotiate your entry package.

Cons

They operate in a very hierarchical manners so you have to do what you're told and communicate to your manager who can then relay upwards.

Year on year disruption is not innovation, sorry gents!

The worst work experience of my life.

Former Employee - Customer Technical Support Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Technical Support Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Thomson Reuters (Scientific) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I cannot think of a single "pro"...unless one believes working for a company with a "I've made up my mind so don't confuse me with facts" attitude is a "pro"!

Cons

Customer Service, if you want to call it that, is/was the worst I've ever seen; and I've been "serving customers" for fifty years. The "Emperors of Management" never wanted to hear that they weren't "wearing any clothes". Human Resources was a joke!

Good Luck!

Too many reorgs!

Current Employee - Customer Trainer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Trainer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Thomson Reuters (Scientific) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Possibility of working from home, good compensation, not micromanaged. As long as you get the job done, you will be allowed flexible hours. Some managers are better than others. Possible travel opportunities.

Cons

No formal training program, WAY TOO MANY reorganizations! I was "reorg'd" out! Company wastes a lot of money on sales meetings and sales dinners. Should re-evaluate priorities. A lot of travel may be required.

As mentioned above, company wastes a lot of money on sales meetings and sales dinners. Should re-evaluate priorities. Customer retention should prove the value of training.

People with talent leave quickly

I have been working at Thomson Reuters (Scientific) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-short hours, the workload never requires overtime
    - you get to work with many clients, good for networking
    - friendly co-workers

Cons

- high turn-over rate, people with talent don't stay long
    - salary is about 50% below market average, no salary increases due to company's constant attempts to cut costs
    - health insurance used to be good, but has been cut drastically due to company's constant attempts to cut costs (be prepared to pay thousands out of pocket if you need a doctor)
    - middle management is inexperienced and makes poor decisions
    - no opportunities for career growth, promotions are purely based on personal relationships
    - upper management never shares anything on the company's future; the annual Christmas layoffs are the only indicator how well the departments performed

Value your employees- poor salary, poor health benefits and promotions by favoritism will drive all talented people away.

As with every corporation, it's all about the bottom line, not it's people. It's never about it's people.

Pros

Nothing outstanding or above the the industry to report. TR is about the profits and acquistions. No benefits that actually effect or help it's individual employees.

Cons

No form compensation, No bonuses. Salary increase moved back 2 quarters with no retro, Meager 1-3% yearly pay increase. ZERO culture. ZERO gratitude.

Invest in your people. Reward them accordingly, and treat every one of them as assets.

Good place to work at.

I worked at Thomson Reuters (Scientific) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good start for the beginners.

Cons

Very slow growth; not many opportunities.

Poor management with little opportunities for career growth

Former Employee - Payment Specialist in Bingham Farms, MI
    Former Employee - Payment Specialist in Bingham Farms, MI

I worked at Thomson Reuters (Scientific) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits; clean and safe work environment

Cons

Favoritism; poor management with inexperienced individuals being placed in lead roles; poor use of resources, including the talent of their employees; lack of career growth opportunities and/or training. On-boarding/new hire training was non-existent!

Stop playing the favoritism game with your employees! Realize that you have had, and lost, very capable and talented individuals because of your poor management.

Going into year two

I have been working at Thomson Reuters (Scientific)

Pros

Flexibility, constantly updating products & services

Cons

processes can be work slowers

Half Full or Half Empty? Time will tell.

I worked at Thomson Reuters (Scientific)

Pros

The work is intellectually challenging. The employees take great pride in their responsibilities, and you’ll encounter some nice, smart, creative, and interesting people. Most positions provide ample opportunity to hone one’s existing skills and acquire new talents, both with Microsoft Office and Thomson’s own products, as well as equally important “people” skills. The location is convenient in terms of commuting, with close access to the subway, nearby parking, and a shuttle bus service – provided by 1500 Spring Garden Street - to 16th and JFK, and other locations in center city Philadelphia. Architecturally, the floor layout is intelligently designed, such that, with low “cube” walls - “the sky” - natural light - is pleasingly visible from most any floor location.

Cons

The frequency of staff turnover and force reductions has markedly accelerated in recent years. Whether this genuinely improve the development, production, and quality of existing and new products is entirely open to question. In this sense, my observations entirely corroborate those of other reviewers.

Thomson Reuters (Scientific) Photos

Artwork, and a conference room
Orange wall and recycling bins

+ Add Photo