Thomson Reuters

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith

James C. Smith

131 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Boring and no career growth opportunities

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

ProsWork environment is fairly relaxed. Colleagues are also very friendly. HR policies are also pretty employee friendly

ConsI worked for the CMR team at Thomson Reuters. The work is extremely boring and there is hardly any career growth. The place is very hierarchical. Senior management is only bothered about meeting targets and have almost no respect for long term employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and create career choices for employees

Thomson Reuters Canary Wharf

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company to have on your CV. Excellent start for interns, graduates and junior managers. Open to promoting work/life balance and flexible working arrangements. Good standard benefits - healthcare, pension and free gym.

ConsUnless you're politically savvy with senior management, there's no room for progression. Basic salary is a not on par with industry.

Senior management talk the talk, but no-one walks the walk

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe highest executives regularly promote messages of inclusion and innovation.

ConsDespite the enthusiasm for diversity and inclusion in the higher-levels of the organisation, managers at the office-level are reluctant to tackle homophobia, racism and other bullying. The "old boys' club" culture can make office life very difficult some days.

Many staff are expected to be on-call 24/7, without receiving an appropriate salary. Staff are expected to share their home e-mail addresses and mobile phone numbers so they can be contacted at evenings, weekends and holidays.

Staff are expected to pay their own travel expenses for business engagements. On several occasions, I've ended the month having spent more on my job than I was paid.

Pay is not on-par with other organisations in the same industries. Payroll slip-ups have left myself and some of my colleagues without pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit all of your offices. Talk to all of your staff. Identify the people who block your calls to improve, and get rid of them. Value all of your staff, not just the sales people. Reward your high achievers.

Excellent

Student Representative (Current Employee)
Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGain incredible experience at this expanding business.

ConsI feel there is no problem with this company at all.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Wonderful place to work

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThis is one of the best places I've worked, the people were wonderful and really knew their stuff. I never ran across anyone that didn't know what they were doing.

ConsI have nothing that is negative to say about TR.

Generally good - going through tough times at the moment.

Middle Manager, Corporate Technology (Current Employee)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAs with most organisations, it is all about the people you work with. On the whole the staff are fun, helpful, dedicated, professional and competent. The culture, particularly in the ex-Thomson areas is generally relaxed and family friendly.

Benefits are good on the whole. Good cultural diversity within the London offices (I don't know about other areas), and the organization takes diversity very seriously.

Given the range of products and size of the organization there are usually good opportunities for career progression, and many managers are open to people moving between departments to follow particular interests.

The work is interesting and varied.

ConsMuch depends on the specific location or business unit you are working in. The culture varies, and despite having merged Thomson and Reuters over 5 years ago there is still, incredibly, a discernible difference in the culture at ex-Reuters offices to that in ex-Thomson offices.

Usually better to work in the Strategic Business Units than in the central corporate functions as the support functions are a rather "Cinderella service" starved of resources, and cut off from the Business Units they are supposed to serve by excessive bureaucracy, and rigidly hierarchical management.

Constant restructuring is taking its toll on morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and open and people will help you meet your goals.

Great company to start career with but salary is low.

Research Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat name to start career with especially if you are straight out of uni.

ConsThe salary is low in comparison to rest of market and the benefits are not great. The management and HR do not bother spending time with employees to determine career growth within company. Management within the Analyst positions in London (UK) do not bother with helping employees with training, etc - basically no room for growth!

Like swimming against a tide of clueless management with MBA's galore but no common sense.

Client Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFinally a flagship product to shout about and a great future for shareholders.

ConsBenefits package well out of date, no security, management team lacking empathy with the staff & installing middle managers with little or no real world experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand geographical & cultural differences - build management teams locally - re-vamp the aging benefits package. Try and build the loyalty that made Reuters a great company to work for 20 years ago.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Wealth of products - lack of management direction

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood culture and people
Reasonable work life balance - flexible

ConsPoor salary reviews
Lack of ambition as a company

Advice to Senior ManagementStop managing upwards and actually look at driving the company to a common goal. Stop restructuring every 5 mins as get some consistency in approach. The company has a good brand name and strong presence across the market but Bloomberg is still way ahead. If the company really wants to 'play' in the investment management space then put some focus in actually delivering service and product in this pace. Someone needs to put a 3 year plan in place and stick to it, a large organisation cannot restructure every 6-12 months and expect the market not to notice. TR is driving t any good people away because they cannot get on in the red tape that exists in the organisation. I think its a good place to start but you have to leave and come back to get any salary recognition or reward for your efforts.

If you like ticking boxes

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you keep your head down you can survive and progress

ConsWorking, Asia, Europe and North American hours all in a day's work. Thankless company. All about the money, always a next wave of redundancies. Demorilasing

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not all about making the directors rich

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Thomson Reuters reviews and ratings in United Kingdom — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Thomson Reuters CEO James C. Smith. All 131 reviews posted anonymously by Thomson Reuters employees.