Thomson Reuters

Thomson Reuters Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith

James C. Smith

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules that allows one to establish a good work-life balance(in 394 reviews)

• Work from home was very much allowed and many times encouraged to balance work/life(in 81 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares(in 42 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming(in 78 reviews)

155 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Worn down by continual disappointments...

ProsFamily friendly, nice people, relaxed

ConsSalary, leadership, perpetual change of direction, culture and too many to list

Advice to Senior ManagementStop messing about with people's careers

Blessed with good people

ProsSurrounded by experienced, intelligent and generally nice honest people. Organisation restructures so often that there are plenty of opportunities to move your career forward - if you are strategic.

ConsOrganisation restructures so often that hardly any projects/ initiatives survive long enough to completion. Top down communication feels very 1 sided, has a tendency to throw lots of curve balls to managers - ie communicating major global changes/ decisions abruptly without sufficient lead time for managers to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make a decision and stick it through to the end. Allow individual businesses some freedom to grow organically.

It has been an interesting and varied place to work.

Senior Architect (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThere is a friendly environment and a real desire for people to work together across units.
    There are talented people and interesting projects.

ConsConstant cycle of change in structure and leadership, yearly redundancy cycle.
    Somewhat short-sighted in terms of strategic thinking.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Frustrating buracracy

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat people, good benefits, decent pay

ConsLots of internal conflict resulting in changing overall business strategy and re-orgs every six months

Financial & Risk: Almost yearly snr management and business structure changes with attrition or performance problem

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsReuters has a long heritage and good relationship with decision makers in big banks and other financial institutions. With their global customer base and offices Thomson Reuters offers good benefits to those interested in working abroad in other offices.

ConsPolitics - it has been noticed and mentioned a few times by both senior managers and peers that there is a lot of politics driving appointments, promotions and changes in structure and this is obviously very detrimental to staff trust and moral. Disconnect between execs and staff on the ground - often what is broadcast by execs and what you hear on the ground are very different about performance, team changes and priorities.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure managers and snr managers are held accountable for performance; Listen to staff feedback more regularly; Be more honest to staff and vigilant of politically motivated changes or promotions within teams.

Good environment, meritocratic system

Xml FX Analyst (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsVery exciting place to work, fantastic pay, a great place to see how other banks are using the fx platform in their fx departments, i.e. a great place to choose which bank to progress to based on the pace of activity you prefer. Eg Calyon Bank- high fast paced daily fx use, Nordea Bank - shipping insurance bank so very quiet fx use - just one Bloomberg terminal

ConsLegacy systems, because their fx platform is on 24/7, its virtually impossible to take down even temporarily for upgrades, and as it works perfect well now no incentive to do so

Advice to Senior Managementpay more attention to lower level techs

Constantly changing environment

Programmer Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood benefits and people. There are some interesting initiatives due to the level of change.

ConsI don't think they value growing their own talent.
    Middle management in some areas is weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate opportunities for employees as well as suppliers

They are kind of dysfunctional, not a nice place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting tech work in the finance sector

ConsPost-merger company with lots of internal conflict

Thomson Reuters Canary Wharf

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat company to have on your CV. Excellent start for interns, graduates and junior managers. Open to promoting work/life balance and flexible working arrangements. Good standard benefits - healthcare, pension and free gym.

ConsUnless you're politically savvy with senior management, there's no room for progression. Basic salary is a not on par with industry.

Senior management talk the talk, but no-one walks the walk

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe highest executives regularly promote messages of inclusion and innovation.

ConsDespite the enthusiasm for diversity and inclusion in the higher-levels of the organisation, managers at the office-level are reluctant to tackle homophobia, racism and other bullying. The "old boys' club" culture can make office life very difficult some days.

Many staff are expected to be on-call 24/7, without receiving an appropriate salary. Staff are expected to share their home e-mail addresses and mobile phone numbers so they can be contacted at evenings, weekends and holidays.

Staff are expected to pay their own travel expenses for business engagements. On several occasions, I've ended the month having spent more on my job than I was paid.

Pay is not on-par with other organisations in the same industries. Payroll slip-ups have left myself and some of my colleagues without pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit all of your offices. Talk to all of your staff. Identify the people who block your calls to improve, and get rid of them. Value all of your staff, not just the sales people. Reward your high achievers.

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!