Thomson Reuters

Thomson Reuters Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Aug 1, 2014

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith

James C. Smith

Pros
  • Flexible work schedules that allows one to establish a good work-life balance (in 399 reviews)

• Work from home was very much allowed and many times encouraged to balance work/life (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares (in 42 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming (in 78 reviews)

More Highlights
159 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great colleagues, great career opportunity

Vice President, Human Resources (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsI've had five roles and two significant changes in level during my five years with the company, and have seen many others have similarly interesting career development. Due to the breadth and nature of what the company does, if you are flexible and proactive, then there is plenty of career opportunity available.

The company is in the midst of a transformation - and has been in a constant state of flux for years. This change does feel different, however, with a much greater sense of purpose, and results starting to show. It is very strong on virtual collaboration. There is a big network of Telepresence and VC, and WebEx connect is used well, as well as the social intranet which is highly trafficked and gives a good opportunity to engage with people globally whom you otherwise wouldn't get to know.

It also has some very strong business resource groups: I'm an active member of Pride at Work, for LGBT employees and friends, which is a close-knit global network. The company has done a lot to demonstrate its support for LGBT employees, with a big presence at Pride in London, for instance, and statements in support of marriage equality in the UK and Minnesota.

I really enjoy my co-workers, who are both smart and have high levels of integrity. Like any organisation, there are plenty of challenges as well as opportunities: but for all the ups and downs of working here, of the five employers I've worked for, Thomson Reuters is my favourite.

ConsIt's not the most exciting of companies: it could do with more buzz, and more energy and optimism. Things take time to change - but when you look back on the improvements in the last three years, if the same level of change can happen in the next three years then the company will be in really, really good shape.

Leaders need to get out and engage more, get more face time with employees, and show their human face a bit more often. From another perspective, employees need to think about the role they play in making the company a better place to work - and take ownership of that; many already do so, but it'd have a big impact if people were even more proactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementJazz things up! Engage more directly with staff. Lead with the heart as well as the head. Help employees understand where we are headed, their role in that - and also ensure people understand where we've come from and the progress we've made.

Company Culture

ProsGreat working environment, good work life balance.

ConsCommunication between leadership team and employees can be improved.

big corporate

Sales Executive (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Proslarge employer, good perks, job for life if you play the game and are not career minded. constantly evolving and many diverse divisions so in some areas it has the cultural benefits of working for a small employer but with the benefits of a large organisation. Reasonable salaries and structured grading

Conslarge company lots of politics, lots of staff just stay working with no clear career path or direction, Some parts of the business have a culture of expecting staff to be in the office and to be seen.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company but struggling to focus on core business

Senior Applications Support Engineer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood company with good opportunities.

ConsThey could not focus on core business and a lot time and resources were wasted on side projects that in the end got terminated.

Sophisticated, driven, flexible and unique!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe atmosphere in the building I work in is so friendly and easy-going it's pleasing and doesn't allow a person to ever really get stressed or pressurized. The managers look after you and always organize regular one-to-one sessions, you can get good pension amounts, share discounts, dentist plans and even WoW points or vouchers to get discounts from high-street stores. Overall, working for the company is the best thing that ever happened to me.

ConsI really can't think of any cons in the position I am in. I'm a software engineer, and everything is managed how it should be, the work load is the right balance so it doesn't bring you down after a day of work, and everyone is really understanding and helpful if you have a problem. Only con I can think of is the dodgy lifts that scare the heck out of you every now and then!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing and continue to be agile in the sense that you monitor deadlines and the progress of a project, keep up to date with required meetings and high priority emails, and make sure you have monitoring all members of staff to make sure they are pulling their weight (and make sure some staff aren't overloaded!).

Quite good working atmosphere

Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsLarge corporation with a lot of possibilities. The leadership is flexible which is good. You can have some freedom when making choices. The office is very nice.

ConsAs every corporation there is a lot of politics and corporate play. I did not like that. Sometimes you will work with teams on different continents and that hurts your performance because you will be time constrained to time zones.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management should discuss more career progress and promotion opportunities within the company.

Good culture but need to invest in growing areas

Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood work life balance. However not enough regional balance too much control from NY which leads to them not totally understanding regional requirements

Consnot enough investment in growing areas and not enough spend on technology

Significant changes underway to build solid foundation

Project Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFantastically diverse, globally known, a lot of opportunity to move within the company itself.

ConsWeak/absent leadership, inconsistent pay policies, major changes taking place.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much rhetoric, promising pitches but yet to see any actual delivered improvements.

June 2014

Prosflexible working shifts, countryside location

Conscommission reports frequently wrong and not paid

Excellent if slow-moving employer

Programmer Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGenuinely cares about its staff; good global opportunities. Flexible - an excellent place to work.

ConsBureaucracy, slow decision-making, almost constant re-organisation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to flatten the organization and but more decision-making power into the hands of lower management.

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!