Thomson Reuters

3.3
2,480 Reviews

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance is quite good since they are very flexible with the working hours (in 436 reviews)

• Flexible timings - You are not forced to spend 9Hrs if no work - you can work from home (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares (in 44 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming (in 83 reviews)

More Highlights

171 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging, but quite slow paced

Former Employee - Senior Sales Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Global company, internal and international movement encouraged.

Cons

Lack of identity, too many buyouts of other companies, lacked focus

Dont promise ICs things that you dont ultimately deliver on

Two sides to this company

Current Employee - Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fascinating company with great products and interesting colleagues. The passion exhibited by employees is inspiring. Compensation and benefits are aligned well against the external market and the reputation of the company really enhances your CV.

Cons

This is entirely my experience of my particular division as I know others in the Company work in a more logical structure...

There's an inability of management to delegate responsibility and therefore all decisions are made by committee so consequently very little is achieved. Far too many Director/VP roles and very few people to carry out the work that needs to happen. No career progression - promotions are not an option and teams change through external hires. Recent restructure means roles are far narrower - which makes the role content far less rewarding and far more mundane.

Continue with the overall company direction, but focus in on less productive areas - possibly using satisfaction and attrition scores!

Great colleagues, great career opportunity

Current Employee - Vice President, Human Resources  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Vice President, Human Resources in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've had five roles and two significant changes in level during my five years with the company, and have seen many others have similarly interesting career development. Due to the breadth and nature of what the company does, if you are flexible and proactive, then there is plenty of career opportunity available.

The company is in the midst of a transformation - and has been in a constant state of flux for years. This change does feel different, however, with a much greater sense of purpose, and results starting to show. It is very strong on virtual collaboration. There is a big network of Telepresence and VC, and WebEx connect is used well, as well as the social intranet which is highly trafficked and gives a good opportunity to engage with people globally whom you otherwise wouldn't get to know.

It also has some very strong business resource groups: I'm an active member of Pride at Work, for LGBT employees and friends, which is a close-knit global network. The company has done a lot to demonstrate its support for LGBT employees, with a big presence at Pride in London, for instance, and statements in support of marriage equality in the UK and Minnesota.

I really enjoy my co-workers, who are both smart and have high levels of integrity. Like any organisation, there are plenty of challenges as well as opportunities: but for all the ups and downs of working here, of the five employers I've worked for, Thomson Reuters is my favourite.

Cons

It's not the most exciting of companies: it could do with more buzz, and more energy and optimism. Things take time to change - but when you look back on the improvements in the last three years, if the same level of change can happen in the next three years then the company will be in really, really good shape.

Leaders need to get out and engage more, get more face time with employees, and show their human face a bit more often. From another perspective, employees need to think about the role they play in making the company a better place to work - and take ownership of that; many already do so, but it'd have a big impact if people were even more proactive.

Jazz things up! Engage more directly with staff. Lead with the heart as well as the head. Help employees understand where we are headed, their role in that - and also ensure people understand where we've come from and the progress we've made.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company Culture

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Great working environment, good work life balance.

Cons

Communication between leadership team and employees can be improved.

big corporate

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

large employer, good perks, job for life if you play the game and are not career minded. constantly evolving and many diverse divisions so in some areas it has the cultural benefits of working for a small employer but with the benefits of a large organisation. Reasonable salaries and structured grading

Cons

large company lots of politics, lots of staff just stay working with no clear career path or direction, Some parts of the business have a culture of expecting staff to be in the office and to be seen.

Good company but struggling to focus on core business

Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters for more than a year

Pros

Good company with good opportunities.

Cons

They could not focus on core business and a lot time and resources were wasted on side projects that in the end got terminated.

Sophisticated, driven, flexible and unique!

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

The atmosphere in the building I work in is so friendly and easy-going it's pleasing and doesn't allow a person to ever really get stressed or pressurized. The managers look after you and always organize regular one-to-one sessions, you can get good pension amounts, share discounts, dentist plans and even WoW points or vouchers to get discounts from high-street stores. Overall, working for the company is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons in the position I am in. I'm a software engineer, and everything is managed how it should be, the work load is the right balance so it doesn't bring you down after a day of work, and everyone is really understanding and helpful if you have a problem. Only con I can think of is the dodgy lifts that scare the heck out of you every now and then!

Keep doing what you're doing and continue to be agile in the sense that you monitor deadlines and the progress of a project, keep up to date with required meetings and high priority emails, and make sure you have monitoring all members of staff to make sure they are pulling their weight (and make sure some staff aren't overloaded!).

Quite good working atmosphere

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large corporation with a lot of possibilities. The leadership is flexible which is good. You can have some freedom when making choices. The office is very nice.

Cons

As every corporation there is a lot of politics and corporate play. I did not like that. Sometimes you will work with teams on different continents and that hurts your performance because you will be time constrained to time zones.

The management should discuss more career progress and promotion opportunities within the company.

Good culture but need to invest in growing areas

Current Employee - Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work life balance. However not enough regional balance too much control from NY which leads to them not totally understanding regional requirements

Cons

not enough investment in growing areas and not enough spend on technology

Significant changes underway to build solid foundation

Current Employee - Project Director  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fantastically diverse, globally known, a lot of opportunity to move within the company itself.

Cons

Weak/absent leadership, inconsistent pay policies, major changes taking place.

Too much rhetoric, promising pitches but yet to see any actual delivered improvements.

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!