Thomson Reuters

3.3
2,626 Reviews

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance is quite good since they are very flexible with the working hours (in 474 reviews)

• Flexible timings - You are not forced to spend 9Hrs if no work - you can work from home (in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • Doing this constantly has caused some serious loss of work-life balance as someone who cares (in 47 reviews)

• But wait, that's not quite enough to keep those senior management bonuses coming (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

187 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great colleagues, great career opportunity

Current Employee - Vice President, Human Resources in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Vice President, Human Resources in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've had five roles and two significant changes in level during my five years with the company, and have seen many others have similarly interesting career development. Due to the breadth and nature of what the company does, if you are flexible and proactive, then there is plenty of career opportunity available.

The company is in the midst of a transformation - and has been in a constant state of flux for years. This change does feel different, however, with a much greater sense of purpose, and results starting to show. It is very strong on virtual collaboration. There is a big network of Telepresence and VC, and WebEx connect is used well, as well as the social intranet which is highly trafficked and gives a good opportunity to engage with people globally whom you otherwise wouldn't get to know.

It also has some very strong business resource groups: I'm an active member of Pride at Work, for LGBT employees and friends, which is a close-knit global network. The company has done a lot to demonstrate its support for LGBT employees, with a big presence at Pride in London, for instance, and statements in support of marriage equality in the UK and Minnesota.

I really enjoy my co-workers, who are both smart and have high levels of integrity. Like any organisation, there are plenty of challenges as well as opportunities: but for all the ups and downs of working here, of the five employers I've worked for, Thomson Reuters is my favourite.

Cons

It's not the most exciting of companies: it could do with more buzz, and more energy and optimism. Things take time to change - but when you look back on the improvements in the last three years, if the same level of change can happen in the next three years then the company will be in really, really good shape.

Leaders need to get out and engage more, get more face time with employees, and show their human face a bit more often. From another perspective, employees need to think about the role they play in making the company a better place to work - and take ownership of that; many already do so, but it'd have a big impact if people were even more proactive.

Jazz things up! Engage more directly with staff. Lead with the heart as well as the head. Help employees understand where we are headed, their role in that - and also ensure people understand where we've come from and the progress we've made.

big corporate

Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

large employer, good perks, job for life if you play the game and are not career minded. constantly evolving and many diverse divisions so in some areas it has the cultural benefits of working for a small employer but with the benefits of a large organisation. Reasonable salaries and structured grading

Cons

large company lots of politics, lots of staff just stay working with no clear career path or direction, Some parts of the business have a culture of expecting staff to be in the office and to be seen.

Good company but struggling to focus on core business

Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters (more than an year)

Pros

Good company with good opportunities.

Cons

They could not focus on core business and a lot time and resources were wasted on side projects that in the end got terminated.

Excellent if slow-moving employer

Former Employee - Programmer Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Programmer Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Genuinely cares about its staff; good global opportunities. Flexible - an excellent place to work.

Cons

Bureaucracy, slow decision-making, almost constant re-organisation.

Try to flatten the organization and but more decision-making power into the hands of lower management.

Sophisticated, driven, flexible and unique!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere in the building I work in is so friendly and easy-going it's pleasing and doesn't allow a person to ever really get stressed or pressurized. The managers look after you and always organize regular one-to-one sessions, you can get good pension amounts, share discounts, dentist plans and even WoW points or vouchers to get discounts from high-street stores. Overall, working for the company is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons in the position I am in. I'm a software engineer, and everything is managed how it should be, the work load is the right balance so it doesn't bring you down after a day of work, and everyone is really understanding and helpful if you have a problem. Only con I can think of is the dodgy lifts that scare the heck out of you every now and then!

Keep doing what you're doing and continue to be agile in the sense that you monitor deadlines and the progress of a project, keep up to date with required meetings and high priority emails, and make sure you have monitoring all members of staff to make sure they are pulling their weight (and make sure some staff aren't overloaded!).

Good culture but need to invest in growing areas

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. However not enough regional balance too much control from NY which leads to them not totally understanding regional requirements

Cons

not enough investment in growing areas and not enough spend on technology

Significant changes underway to build solid foundation

Current Employee - Project Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastically diverse, globally known, a lot of opportunity to move within the company itself.

Cons

Weak/absent leadership, inconsistent pay policies, major changes taking place.

Too much rhetoric, promising pitches but yet to see any actual delivered improvements.

June 2014

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexible working shifts, countryside location

Cons

commission reports frequently wrong and not paid

They're not bad for a City employer

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Good working environment, flexible working options, decent benefits

Cons

Lack of coherent strategy, pay is average for the City

Think a bit further ahead than the end of the year.

Was good, going downhill...no appreciation of people who work hard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

It's flexible working, good benefits package though not salary.

Cons

Hard work and loyalty is not rewarded. 10 years ago the people hired were always reliably good and people you wanted to work with. Too often now people are hired on basis of professional qualification with little thought given to whether they are able to do the job or get on with their colleagues. Result = lots of very frustrated, underpaid decent employees increasingly looking elsewhere...This will not assist the company in retaining and growing profit.

Stop chasing short term profits at the expense of loyal employees. It doesn't cost that much in the general scheme of things to take hard working people out for a drink once every few months and would massively boost morale. Stop putting so much emphasis on qualifications (and subsequently hiring unnecessary people) and instead look at how you can promote people within. This is apparently supposed to happen but I can name about 10 people who've been passed over in the past year in favour of (generally useless) external recruits.