Thomson Reuters

www.thomsonreuters.com
Employer Engaged

206 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Very good experience. Good company to work for. I will recommend it. Going through a lot of reorganizing at the moment.

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mature, family like culture. Great people working there. Good training. Good overall compensation package. I recommend it. I had a very good experience working for TR.

Cons

I cannot think of anything.

No career Prospect

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

Good people and a great team

Cons

No chance of career prospects unless you are on the known. managers don't tend to put you forward and it's up to you to keep an on job postings, etc.

Look around you, your talent is right there!

Long term employee feedback at Thomson Reuters

Current Employee - Client Implementation Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Client Implementation Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good office culture, some great people working there. Flexible home working available.

Cons

Post merger, company is bloated at management level and as a result RE has repeated reorganizations so that eventually regardless of how excellent an individual is in their role or how valuable they are to a specific revenue stream, changes in management lead to such people being lost. I have seen this several times.

Invest more in staff and be clear on the mission

Good people to work with but frustratingly bureaucratic

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Organisationally it's much more open than I would expect for the size and type of organisation, sometimes surprisingly so. This openness reflects in the grass roots culture with a much more relaxed atmosphere than is normally found in finance.

There is a good work / life balance with working from home for those who want to the norm rather than the exception. So, in general it's a good company for those with young families

Senior leadership has realised (c2012) that the finance and risk division needs to change, something that's driven by economic realities. There approach appears to be successful to some extent, which is given it's size is a good sign but as of 2014 they are still in the harsh reality of the changes

Cons

There are way to many barriers between the various parts of the organisation, especially in support services. Worse, the goals of large parts of IT services are at odds with the business drivers of other parts (save versus spend to make). The net result is that 1 day tasks take 6 weeks and some projects are simply impossible. This can be incredibly frustrating when delivering large/complex projects.

There is still a lot of 'Old Income' focus, which given the decline in those revenues and financial state of the organisation needs to change: That is much harder than people think and one area to explore during interview

Break down the barriers. IT services should be able to bring key technical staff together across the organisation quickly (minutes not hours or never). Focus on delivering service: Is the problem solved, how long did it take, not is the ticket closed.

Become more flexible in the approach to IT service delivery - one size fits all selects the lowest common denominator, something that breaks the financial sector.

Challenging, but quite slow paced

Former Employee - Senior Sales Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Global company, internal and international movement encouraged.

Cons

Lack of identity, too many buyouts of other companies, lacked focus

Dont promise ICs things that you dont ultimately deliver on

Company Culture

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Great working environment, good work life balance.

Cons

Communication between leadership team and employees can be improved.

Great colleagues, great career opportunity

Current Employee - Vice President, Human Resources in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Vice President, Human Resources in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've had five roles and two significant changes in level during my five years with the company, and have seen many others have similarly interesting career development. Due to the breadth and nature of what the company does, if you are flexible and proactive, then there is plenty of career opportunity available.

The company is in the midst of a transformation - and has been in a constant state of flux for years. This change does feel different, however, with a much greater sense of purpose, and results starting to show. It is very strong on virtual collaboration. There is a big network of Telepresence and VC, and WebEx connect is used well, as well as the social intranet which is highly trafficked and gives a good opportunity to engage with people globally whom you otherwise wouldn't get to know.

It also has some very strong business resource groups: I'm an active member of Pride at Work, for LGBT employees and friends, which is a close-knit global network. The company has done a lot to demonstrate its support for LGBT employees, with a big presence at Pride in London, for instance, and statements in support of marriage equality in the UK and Minnesota.

I really enjoy my co-workers, who are both smart and have high levels of integrity. Like any organisation, there are plenty of challenges as well as opportunities: but for all the ups and downs of working here, of the five employers I've worked for, Thomson Reuters is my favourite.

Cons

It's not the most exciting of companies: it could do with more buzz, and more energy and optimism. Things take time to change - but when you look back on the improvements in the last three years, if the same level of change can happen in the next three years then the company will be in really, really good shape.

Leaders need to get out and engage more, get more face time with employees, and show their human face a bit more often. From another perspective, employees need to think about the role they play in making the company a better place to work - and take ownership of that; many already do so, but it'd have a big impact if people were even more proactive.

Jazz things up! Engage more directly with staff. Lead with the heart as well as the head. Help employees understand where we are headed, their role in that - and also ensure people understand where we've come from and the progress we've made.

big corporate

Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

large employer, good perks, job for life if you play the game and are not career minded. constantly evolving and many diverse divisions so in some areas it has the cultural benefits of working for a small employer but with the benefits of a large organisation. Reasonable salaries and structured grading

Cons

large company lots of politics, lots of staff just stay working with no clear career path or direction, Some parts of the business have a culture of expecting staff to be in the office and to be seen.

Two sides to this company

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fascinating company with great products and interesting colleagues. The passion exhibited by employees is inspiring. Compensation and benefits are aligned well against the external market and the reputation of the company really enhances your CV.

Cons

This is entirely my experience of my particular division as I know others in the Company work in a more logical structure...

There's an inability of management to delegate responsibility and therefore all decisions are made by committee so consequently very little is achieved. Far too many Director/VP roles and very few people to carry out the work that needs to happen. No career progression - promotions are not an option and teams change through external hires. Recent restructure means roles are far narrower - which makes the role content far less rewarding and far more mundane.

Continue with the overall company direction, but focus in on less productive areas - possibly using satisfaction and attrition scores!

Good company but struggling to focus on core business

Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Support Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomson Reuters (more than a year)

Pros

Good company with good opportunities.

Cons

They could not focus on core business and a lot time and resources were wasted on side projects that in the end got terminated.