Thomson Reuters

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith

James C. Smith

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good People to Work With

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsLike the title says, there are some good, intelligent people employed in this company and ample chance to get to work with different business units.

ConsSalary seemed to be on the lower side(heard often enough), and opportunities for promotion did not come around much at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpward mobility options need to be less few and far between. Options for working from home would be a good avenue to explore further.

Good to work for, good pay and benefits.

Writer (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGood pay, good benefits. Always felt a sense of purpose and understood the big picture. Excellent training. Good communication among various departments. Company is well respected in the industry.

ConsQuality of front line supervisors varies. I felt that some people were supervisors just because they were there the longest.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee training in great - expand supervisor training. Supervisors need to give more feedback, consistently, not just at review time.

Very gossipy unprofessional work culture

French-speaking Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsIt is very laid-back. There is always something to do. Quick paced. Casual dress and flexible schedules.

ConsI worked for the Westlaw Due Diligence Division in Washington, D.C.

Some of the management was nice enough; some of the management was not so nice. They assign people to teams but then they constantly switch you up. You may be under one supervisor the one week and a different one the next wee. I found the work culture was rather immature and prone to gossip. It is an unstable work environment since these are contracted positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Is this really what I'm wasting my Degree on....

Research Associate (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe people that I work with make the days bearable.

ConsI'm realizing this company is very selfish and greedy. From the get go there was lying and misleading information pushed out. I was told the normal turn around time for contractors to be converted was 6 months... Almost at a year and nothing..... This company also amazes me with the lack of a reality check that they have regarding where we live and what we are paid... This is WASHINGTON, D.C. if we imposed these wages on management would they be able to realistically afford this area? Its sickening to see how much money this company brings in a month but can't afford to value their workers so that they don't want to run away from this place daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementFeedback is a function of respect; when you don't have honest conversations with us about our strengths and our opportunities for growth, we question our contributions and your commitment. #WestLawCourtExpress.

Decent. (Westlaw in Washington, DC)

Legal Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsTR is a solid company on the whole with good benefits and makes an effort to keep employees in the loop with newsletters etc.
    - Company happy hours
    - Coffee, tea, occasional leftover luncheon food in the break room
    - Co-workers can be great/teamwork

Cons- Not much/any room for professional growth
    - Handholding when interacting with clients
    - Some favoritism/tenure to the detriment of the company/morale
    - Seldom able to work from home

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. Listen to their concerns, believe in them and treat them like adults. Some teams have incredibly high turnover and that is worth looking into.

Management is awful

Washington, DC

ProsThomson Reuters has some wonderful talent and offers very good benefits.

ConsPay is less than competitors. Opportunities are lacking. Company has been in a constant state of "restructuring". Strategic vision is often lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of poor management and promote the talented folks that know your products and customers the best. Seems like the best talent either leaves for better rewards or get shoved out the door.

2 Experience and move on

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsEntry level experience, great benefits, good people.

ConsBelow average salary and little opportunities for career growth.

A shifting landscape.

Legal Researcher (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsI found they were good to their employees. My managers were competent and very good people to work alongside. I worked Westlaw Court Express, which is a part of Thomson Reuters. This is a great entry-level position for recent graduates.

ConsHigh turnover rate. There is not a lot of upward mobility within the Westlaw corporation. There is always a push for more work from less people which causes errors within the research.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a balance of orders per person and let this be the standard instead of pushing for more constantly.

It worked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat workspace, good location, lots of resources available to employees, managers were approachable and willing to listen and they try to work with the smaller temping agencies

ConsThey do not push for higher salaries for their temp employees. They did keep us in the look in regards to our end date.

Advice to Senior Managementnot much, you're doing a good job. I would suggest pushing for a salary for your contractors of over $15

Great products, but a boys club with some incompetent and unethical management

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe product is great and there is good income potential if you are good and lucky enough to get a good territory--many are not.

ConsPlease don't make unreasonable quota demands on your reps; we are in a huge recession in case no one has noticed...

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't make unreasonable quota demands on your reps; we are in a huge recession in case no one has noticed...

Worked for Thomson Reuters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Thomson Reuters reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Thomson Reuters CEO James C. Smith. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Thomson Reuters employees.