Thomson West

Profile Unclaimed

Reuters/West Legal

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson West full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Progressive company that supports community involvement and volunteering. Fairly stable positions. The campus is huge with walking trails, ok cafeteria, food truck visits, on site caribou coffee and subway.

Cons

A lot of boring jobs. Rather mundane facility full of cubicles all the way out in Eagan. Not a real social building.

Encourage more career growth within the company.

No upward mobility

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thomson West full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people and the clients/work can be interesting.

Cons

People don't leave this place, so there is no upward mobility even if you are a rockstar.

Identify your true talent and find ways to help develop their careers

Marketing experience

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thomson West full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart people and strong products

Cons

They had a poor attitude towards customers

Look to your regional offices for more direction.

Great vision for the future

Current Employee - Director in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson West full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Investing in the business to meet new emerging opportunities in the legal market. Strong market position to allow new product introduction. Strong channel.

Cons

Limited growth in the business in recent years has led to cuts and layoffs. Business lags economic cycles so hasn't felt the "recovery" like other tech businesses.

Need to communicate business decisions that impact employees directly more effectively and with better context, e.g., the recent company memo on merit increases

Difficult environment-- poor managers

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing

I have been working at Thomson West full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good mature product-- there are some bright motivated people but they are overshadowed by the "look and act a certain way" popularity contest that has become the culture here these last few years.

Cons

Regional managers tend to be anti-family and women, denying sick days and vacation time for non business reasons; favoritism is rampant with little to no rewards for merit. Unethical sales culture (backroom dealings and arbitrary pricing for customers). Constantly creating new products to push onto customers who are tired of the constant sales, yearly layoffs/reorganization with little to no stability in your territory or employment.

Stop reorganizing; reward for merit instead of letting the managers create a popularlty contest culture.

For a large corporation, TRW is a good place to work

Current Contractor - Commissions Specialist in Eagan, MN
    Current Contractor - Commissions Specialist in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson West as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

-Thomson West often hires from their pool of contractors for permanent positions.
    -Regular employees get an employee picnic, a few little perks upon hire, and various small bonuses throughout the year like a free turkey before Thanksgiving.
    -environment is generally positive.
    -culture is open to diversity, including diversity in gender identity and sexual orientation.
    -Matching funds for donations are available.
    -Employees and contractors are eligible for discounted tickets to movies, sports games, and other similar events.
    -Employees (but not contractors, temps or interns) are eligible to enter drawings for various event tickets.
    -While it's not particularly special, a variety of free tea bags are available along with coffee, decaf and hot water.
    -Employees are encouraged to network and given workable channels (via the Hub website) to do so.
    -Caribou Coffee and Subway inside building, along with full cafeteria
    -TW encourages employees to stay healthy and active: they have walking paths on site, a fleet of bikes that employees (including contractors, interns and temps) can borrow at no cost, and a "free fruit day" each week when every employee can take two pieces of the fruit of the day at no cost.

Cons

- As a contractor, many benefits are not available to me
    - contractors cannot enter the drawing for free event tickets and we never get the free bonus gifts like turkeys
    - General feeling of under-appreciation among contractors
    - too much mandatory overtime
    - too much empty "token" gestures

If I could advise management, I would suggest fewer token gestures and more genuine appreciation (a free dessert card feels more like a slap in the face than appreciation). Also consider productivity studies before deciding on a week of 10 hour days followed by working one Saturday - I have a feeling that productivity declines enough that it's hardly worth it to run your employees so hard, let alone pay for the OT. As a contractor, I cannot comment on benefits or salary levels, although for the amount of work and expertise required of me in addition to a four-year degree being requisite for my position I should be paid more.

O

Current Employee - CE&E in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - CE&E in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson West

Pros

People are great to work with at peer level

Cons

Expect more work from less employees & lots of unfinished work before implimented

HIRE more people in Eagan MN

Managers are hit and miss.

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer I in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer I in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson West

Pros

Excellent benefits package, talented developers, professional environment, attempting to go agile on many of the technology projects (aka more natural work approach)

Cons

Stressful experience working with incompetent testing manager who did not have any respect whatsoever from the development manager or project champion....none of the above had a grasp on the true scope of a data migration project, and therefore were not able to effectively communicate to their direct reports manageable expectations.

Time management of direct reports got out of hand....tracking people's time down to the 2 hr level of granularity backfired on project progress.

I've enjoyed my time there

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thomson West

Pros

Market leader.
    Mature selling environment
    Good pay.
    Good coworkers

Cons

Product support
    Unrealistic about position in market place
    Too many reorgs

Stop reorging and give a plan more than 1 year

Above Avg

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson West

Pros

Intern in the mfg plant. Learned a lot, great company to work for. Leadership team is very helpful and will give you the tools required.

Cons

Interns were not given full time opportunities, intern program was fairly unstructured. Salaries were lower then average for engr students.