Thomson West Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

I've enjoyed my time there

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thomson West

Pros

Market leader. Mature selling environment Good pay. Good coworkers

Cons

Product support Unrealistic about position in market place Too many reorgs

Advice to Management

Stop reorging and give a plan more than 1 year

2. Above Avg

I worked at Thomson West

Pros

Intern in the mfg plant. Learned a lot, great company to work for. Leadership team is very helpful and will give you the tools required.

Cons

Interns were not given full time opportunities, intern program was fairly unstructured. Salaries were lower then average for engr students.

OK employer - good people

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson West

Pros

Fast-paced, good facility, good people, flexible schedule, ability to spend some time working remotely, many internal opportunities to change and/or advance career.

Cons

fast-paced, not a lot of upward feedback to management happens, personnel decisions happen slowly, it's cold in minnesota, lots of collaboration with colleagues in Asia which causes some odd hours and strains communication.

Advice to Management

provide a means for employees to weigh in and give meaningful feedback before decisions are made, to help them feel engaged in the processes which affect their daily work life and career paths.

Treats its attorney editors like dirt

Current Employee - Senior Attorney Editor in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Attorney Editor in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Thomson West

Pros

Barest minimum of hours required, can set own start/stop time, friendly folks,

Cons

Mind-numbing banal work (inserting thousands of footnotes a week into books), attorneys treated with contempt, have to report to supervisors who are not lawyers - some with no college degree. Senior management on site possibly insane.

Advice to Management

Fire the directors.

A mediocre experience

I worked at Thomson West

Pros

Nice people, good work life balance, down to earth culture

Cons

Felt stifled, no room for growth, a very functionally segmented company with no information sharing

Advice to Management

Sharing information across functional boundaries and allowing process improvement projects to reach beyond their specific function or area.

Depends on your manager

I worked at Thomson West

Pros

Benefits are reasonable, particularly the health care and dental plans. Tuition reimbusement program is very competitive with what other companies offer.

Cons

They get awards for family-friendliness, but it really depends on your manager. My manager declared that you could either spend time with your family, or you could put in longer hours at work and get promoted and feed your family. No lie. Said manager also said that employees should not be given extra training, as everyone was 'too dumb' to understand advanced concepts for promotion. Yet, this guy was the apple of senior management's eye.

Financially rewarding but high stress on sales performance

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Thomson West

Pros

Reconized name in the industry. Good quality product.

Cons

Constant increase in quotas as territories were sized down. No residual business to Rep after sale but expectations of customer relations on accounts for which you are not paid.

Advice to Management

Manage expectations on the management leel as well as the sales force

Short lived time with West due to "restructuring"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson West

Pros

- As a large company, benefits are better than what you'd get from a smaller company. Vacation/personal time off was generous. If you start with the company in the middle of the year, your time off will be pro-rated. - (See Con) If you're laid off due to "reorganization", severance is plentiful as well. There's a minimum number of weeks they'll give you even if you've been with the company less than a year. - Travel to 2 conferences per year (locations have included Orlando, Vegas, San Diego, etc.) - Flexibility with work schedule/hours

Cons

- As a large company, they have yearly "reorganizations". November is the worst month because you don't know if you'll have a job the next year or not. I started with the company in June. In November I found out via conference call that my position was being eliminated nationwide (about 40 of us). At my interview, I stressed how I wanted long-term employment in a position where I could grow. So much for that... - Takes 4 years with the company before your 401(k) will fully vest.

Advice to Management

- Provide better and more consistent feedback to employees. My manager hardly ever worked with me.

Excellent experience selling for the market leader in the legal software and research sales industry.

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Thomson West

Pros

Flexibility of the position has been great, as well as the ability to work from wherever I chose to. Selling the best product in the legal research market has been a joy and a pleaxsure. The company has consistently invested a tremendous amount of resources in new products, which are released every year so lawyers can do their jobs faster and better.

Cons

For the last 4 years, West has continuously changed comp plans by lower commission and compensation, increasing quotas significantly every year and removing incentives for high performers. This year, they are simply getting rid of over 1/3 of the field sales force, to be replaced by inside sales representatives based at company's headquarters.

Advice to Management

If it isn't broken, why are you trying to fix it? In 2011, upper management's attempts to "fix" what wasn't broken has resulted in the worst performance for Q1 ever.

Your status for growth in the corporation doesn't depend on your knowledge of the job but rather if they like you.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thomson West

Pros

Lots of training to at the HQ.

Cons

Pressure to sell to products to customers and not working relationships.

RSS Feed </> Embed