Thomson West

Updated November 4, 2014
2.9

Thomson West President and CEO Peter Warwick
Peter Warwick

Pros
  • Work life balance, great pay, wonderful supervisors and great officemates (in 5 reviews)

• Excellent benefits, flex work schedule for sales, great name recognition in the market, strong elearning content for compliance and training (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Flexibility is getting worse and I don't really view Thomson West as a company in favor of work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management on site possibly insane (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Depends on your manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson West

Pros

Benefits are reasonable, particularly the health care and dental plans. Tuition reimbusement program is very competitive with what other companies offer.

Cons

They get awards for family-friendliness, but it really depends on your manager. My manager declared that you could either spend time with your family, or you could put in longer hours at work and get promoted and feed your family. No lie. Said manager also said that employees should not be given extra training, as everyone was 'too dumb' to understand advanced concepts for promotion. Yet, this guy was the apple of senior management's eye.

Short lived time with West due to "restructuring"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson West

Pros

- As a large company, benefits are better than what you'd get from a smaller company. Vacation/personal time off was generous. If you start with the company in the middle of the year, your time off will be pro-rated.

- (See Con) If you're laid off due to "reorganization", severance is plentiful as well. There's a minimum number of weeks they'll give you even if you've been with the company less than a year.

- Travel to 2 conferences per year (locations have included Orlando, Vegas, San Diego, etc.)

- Flexibility with work schedule/hours

Cons

- As a large company, they have yearly "reorganizations". November is the worst month because you don't know if you'll have a job the next year or not. I started with the company in June. In November I found out via conference call that my position was being eliminated nationwide (about 40 of us). At my interview, I stressed how I wanted long-term employment in a position where I could grow. So much for that...

- Takes 4 years with the company before your 401(k) will fully vest.

- Provide better and more consistent feedback to employees. My manager hardly ever worked with me.

Excellent experience selling for the market leader in the legal software and research sales industry.

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Thomson West

Pros

Flexibility of the position has been great, as well as the ability to work from wherever I chose to. Selling the best product in the legal research market has been a joy and a pleaxsure. The company has consistently invested a tremendous amount of resources in new products, which are released every year so lawyers can do their jobs faster and better.

Cons

For the last 4 years, West has continuously changed comp plans by lower commission and compensation, increasing quotas significantly every year and removing incentives for high performers. This year, they are simply getting rid of over 1/3 of the field sales force, to be replaced by inside sales representatives based at company's headquarters.

If it isn't broken, why are you trying to fix it? In 2011, upper management's attempts to "fix" what wasn't broken has resulted in the worst performance for Q1 ever.

A very familiar, stable place to work. Great employees. Felt proud to work here given West's link with the legal system.

Former Employee - Global Product Manager in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Global Product Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson West

Pros

West is the oldest legal publisher in the US legal system and given its heritage you walk away from work realizing what you have done has directly impacted how legal professionals operate every day. Without the work of the employees at West offering value-add to each and everyone of West's products including their flagship, market-leading product Westlaw, legal professionals would not be able to work effectively.

Cons

The salary compared with some of the other companies based in the twin cities could be improved. Many people leave West to work at places like Honeywell or Target and take on comparable jobs with a significant pay increase. More and more benefits are being taken away and given the current economic climate, employees do not feel as secure in their employment. Since the acquisition of Reuters, there have been annual lay-offs; something that was unheard of prior to the transaction.

There needs to be better forums for employees to be able to voice their concerns about management - whether direct line manager or elsewhere without fear of reprieve. If you have a Sr. Director as a boss and you want to discuss their management style or express a concern with the VP, the VP should be open to hearing those comments, not dismiss entertaining seeing that employee simply because they are a VP.

Great

Former Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Thomson West

Pros

It was nice to work at Thomson West. The environment and people are good and friendly. Its a huge campus in Eagan Minneapolis MN.

Cons

Slow-paced work. The group that I worked with didnot have much challenging work. The team was very small and I felt bored with what I was doing after a certain point of time

Leadership at Thomson West is great. I donot have any kind of complains about it. It's going good for the company

Your status for growth in the corporation doesn't depend on your knowledge of the job but rather if they like you.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thomson West

Pros

Lots of training to at the HQ.

Cons

Pressure to sell to products to customers and not working relationships.

Too many changes.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson West

Pros

Employees care about the company and the products.

Cons

Company constantly changing before results can be evaluated from the last change. The culture is one where employees are afraid to speak out and worried about all of the recent layoffs. Culture is not conducive to innovation and growth.

Look out past the recent quarterly results to think strategically about the future. What do your customers want and need in the next 5 years? Also, communicate directly with employees and explain what is going on and why you are making decisions - don't use "corporate speak", but more open and truthful.

Great Customers & Products

Former Employee - Marketing Professional in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Professional in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson West

Pros

Wonderful customers, excellent products and many many brilliant and hard working employees.

Cons

Abitrary promotions of unqualified people into management and they ruin it for others.... every so often you'll get some moron as your boss - you either move internally or have to spend your day covering your bottom till your boss gets promoted on or fired.... typically they get promoted- but at least you are rid of them.

Respect your subject matter experts and your intrinsically motivated employees. Get rid of all the middle managers that just spend their days working on their MBA programs so they can advance themselves.

N/A

Current Employee - Corporate Market Consultant in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Market Consultant in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson West

Pros

Great commissions and bonuses. Good people working there.

Cons

a lot of traveling. Highly transactional. Lot's of selling

Stop micro-managing

Be careful which Finance group you work for

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson West

Pros

Great company with good salary compensation and excellent benefits. Working in the 7,000 employee Eagan, MN campus gives you access to many internal job postings if you want to move out of your current position. Many opportunities for advancement if you are ambitious and want to move up in the organization. Thomson University and other company resources offer many opportunities for learning and professional development. Also, the company's physical facility offers many nice amenities.

Cons

If you go to work in the Finance organization, be very careful which Finance group you will be working in. There are many Finance groups within the West organization and while most are good groups to work in, some are not. Be somewhat wary if you are interviewing for a vacant position that internal candidates do not seem to be interested in as there is likely a good reason for this. It is well know within the company that some Finance positions are way overloaded with work load and these positions will offer nothing even close to a work-life balance. You will frequently be working 10-12 hour days as well as nights and weekends and getting little or no compensation for this (i.e. comp time or even praise). In most Finance groups, a Senior Financial Analyst will be working a more reasonable 40-50 hour work week. So if you can avoid working in one of the "bad" Finance groups, you could be very happy there.

Upper Management at Thomson West is taken care of very nicely with 30% annual management incentive bonuses on top of very nice salaries. However, many important mid-level positions only receive a token 1% annual bonus. This needs to be evened out more so that employees performing difficult work at the mid-level do not become disenchanted with this disparity and leave.