Thomsons Online Benefits

3.9

Thomsons Online Benefits CEO Michael Whitfield
Michael Whitfield

Am amazing people's Company

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is behind every employee a 110%.
    Michael Whitfield and Chris Bruce, CEO and MD respectively, are very but very people oriented
    Expect to work hard - play hard
    Never saw anything like it

Cons

Too much Social bonding after work. Hard to have a personal life

Please keep on the good work!

Don't bother - this firm is doomed to fail

Current Employee - Client Services  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Client Services in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time

Pros

There is nothing positive beyond getting a paltry paycheck to get by and use it as a stepping stone to better things

Cons

Its singapore office is run by an insecure megalomaniac resulting in turnover rates being very high.There's no hope for this company under such inept leadership

If cost is a concern and Thomsons chooses to operate as a slave driver,you are better off operating out of Kenya or Ethiopia

Great place to be!

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time

Pros

The work life balance is great. The company is behind every employee a 110%. The company puts it's employees first and looks after them well. A family culture.

Cons

In terms of opportunities for growth and progression, you may be in line with the seniors waiting ahead of you. Increments are not regular so if you do not progress you may be stuck at the same salary.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience, Great People

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits part-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot of great and professional people to work with, good working environment and benefits, especially for my country.

I always have a feeling that a lot of work has been and it is done continually not just for the clients but also to ensure that the employees are happy doing their job.

Good culture and values, and learning program through the Academy.

Cons

Need to have a more clear career path for all employees, from all positions.

Need more training in technological aspects.

Keep an eye on employees growth, and their career path. Show employees their opportunities, as this will drive them to better performance in their jobs.

For all the great managers (as mine) in Thomsons keep up the good work!

It turns out the Pensions Industry can be fun....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Thomsons Online Benefits' main differentiator is it's culture. Michael Whitfield and Chris Bruce, CEO and MD respectively, drive a fun work environment that ensures the office is an enjoyable place to be. Whilst cliche, the work hard - play hard attitudes rings true at TOB.

The newly established Thomsons Academy means that new joiners receive the necessary training to hit the ground running, with a vision to extend this to their existing employees.

All of the above helps establish themselves as market leaders, meaning they can attract great talent, with a great opportunity for those employees to grow. As a now ex-employee I felt I could move on with Thomsons full backing.

As far as I can tell from 7 years experience in the industry, Darwin (TOB's software) is the most fit for purpose of it's kind.

Thomsons holds fun events for it's employees throughout the year, with a beer fridge Friday thrown in each month for good measure. A great way to meet new joiners.

All in all a challenging and fun place to work.

Cons

Like any workplace, not everything is as perfect as it could be.

Thomsons expects a lot from their employees. Whilst this is not a Con in itself, employees must be ready to be challenged and use their initiative on a regular basis.

There are a lot of managers within the organisation, all with varying skill-sets. Over the 7 years, I had managers on both ends of the spectrum. Although I was conscious that this is to be expected from any rapidly growing business.

Salaries at Thomsons are not the highest within the industry, which can sometimes be a sore point, with salary reviews sometimes a struggle. However over the years I have witnessed many people leave for competitors offering higher salaries, only for them to return because they miss Thomsons unique culture.

It can be very easy to immerse yourself in Thomsons' family feel, which is great. However sometimes I felt I needed to take a step back and have a look at the bigger picture.

For me - the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Dream First Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working at Thomsons! My role is so varied that I am able to obtain experience in all of the fields I am in interested in.
    I enjoy working with all the people here, especially our CEO Michael who is never dull. His passion and enthusiasm is infectious which in turn creates for a fun atmosphere, far from what you’d expect from a Benefit Administration company.

Cons

For me, the training was too heavily focused on the technology platform Darwin, but I understand that for the majority of roles here it is crucial to learn.
    I would appreciate the opportunity to be able to progress within the company, but I don’t seem to be able to do that without moving from my department because it’s so small which is unfortunate.

Great people and an enjoyable place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at Thomsons involves working with some truly great people. I’m so grateful to work with people that are a pleasure to be around and who I can enjoy a social drink (or five!) with after a stressful day. The culture at Thomsons very much encourages a friendly atmosphere and there are frequent company events; from formal conferences to weekly fitness sessions.

The company is growing very quickly which in turn means that there are opportunities for career progression and development for those that push for it. It’s encouraging to see that many of the current managers started their careers at a junior level within the company.

Thomsons is very supportive of people moving between teams which is perfect for the predominantly young workforce. This flexible and accommodating culture has benefited me immensely and helped me establish the direction I want my career to take – I don’t think I would have been able to do this so quickly at many other companies.

The execs and senior management are very visible and approachable at Thomsons. Our CEO, in particular, remembers everyone’s names and often a few funny stories about them! I think it’s quite rare for an exec team to make so much time for all members of staff so this really sets Thomsons apart.

Cons

Thomsons really embodies the work hard play hard mentality and sometimes we really work very hard! It’s not unheard of to need to work a few extra hours every so often and most people will have gone through some rather stressful times whilst they have been here. Honestly there have been days that I really haven’t enjoyed due the pressure of a deadline, or a difficult meeting, but luckily these days are very much in the minority.

As Thomsons is a company that is growing quickly things can sometimes feel a tad chaotic and up in the air. It is not the place to work if you’re not adaptable or willing to muck in when required.

It’s not a big corporate company so there aren't well trodden career paths yet. It is possible to advance very quickly within the company but you need to take responsibility for this yourself, make your ambitions clear and push for the progression that you want. If you sit around expecting opportunity to land on your lap you will most likely be disappointed here.

Whilst the culture at Thomsons is its biggest draw, it can also be a negative for some people as it can feel like a bit of a bubble.

Thomsons isn't a good place to work if you don’t like the colour pink!

Fantastic Break-in to the Working World

Current Employee - Finance  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Joined Thomsons after graduating from university - I'm now 8 months in and still enjoying every second.
    Great people, fantastic benefits and a real opportunity to develop and grow.

Cons

Fast paced and constantly changing roles and responsibilities, sometimes people thrive on this, others like to do the day-to-day 9-5.

Great place to start your career!

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Joined thomsons almost 5 years ago and has been a great journey. Has it's own unique culture which is great and consistent across all it's offices. It's very easy to identify a "thomsons" person. Highly recommend fresh grads to embark on their career with thomsons.

Cons

Fast pace company which you cannot be resistant to change. The ones who adapt survive! When the going gets tough, you'll know if thomsons if the right fit for you! Take the initiative to excel and you will.

Work hard, play hard

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

The founders, Michael and Chris, have created a special, market leading technology company with great people. Inspiring leadership really drives the company. There is a work hard, play hard culture which is challenging and fun. The company is fast paced which keeps it fresh and interesting.

Cons

You need to be able to thrive in a fast paced environment - able to adapt quickly. This is not a place to coast along. Not a con for me but might be for people not up to a challenge.

Keep inspiring the business. Challenge is to keep the culture as we grow further.

Worked for Thomsons Online Benefits? Contribute to the Community!