Thoratec Corp

Gerhard F. Burbach

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Work Experience

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsInteresting place to learn many new things, interaction with doctors and many interdisciplinary problems. good benefits, lots of training, rich company, great work accommodations. great place to learn about materials and different types of materials testing, people are extremely nice and approachable.
    Less stress compare to semiconductor equipment business.

ConsEverything moves very slow, going around FDA requirements sometimes makes the design almost impossible. Too much outsourcing of the design makes it hard to manage future developments. Need to keep ideas in the house.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Marketing is unethical & sleazy.

Technical Writer (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsBetter than no job at all.

ConsR&D was in Boston requiring early hrs. for conference calls. My mgr. in Marketing promised a lot but only talking a good game, never delivered on anything, like bringing this contractor on permanently, he was always gone but still demanded wkly. progress reports. I was forbidden to communicate with permanent coworkers to prevent comparisons as I learned they were severely underpaid. When project neared completion & budgets cut he couldn't find any performance-related reason to layoff so he sneaked around with 3rd parties looking for anything to criticize & manufactured something. I'm told that's SOP there with marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorkplace & especially marketing policies are unprofessional & cheap. There are lots of trust issues between workers & mgmt. for good reasons.

Passionate and dedicated employees but management is a bit out of touch

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsDedicated employees are united by their lifesaving cause.
    Their product lines for mechanical circulatory support (MCS) are industry leading.
    Their patients are forever grateful for this second chance at a better quality of life.

ConsLittle recognition of even substantial achievements.
    Lack of any true career mobility. Thoratec tends to bring in outside talent rather than groom existing employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could be better.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsCo-workers are great.

ConsManagement is not that great. The company has been around for over 30 years but you would never know it. Many things are not well thought out before they are executed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together and listen to your employees.

Unethical management style and no independence of quality auditors

Quality Auditor II (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsGreat benefits and bonus pay rate.

ConsAs the quality auditor in the compliance department, I did not have the ability to make independent audit decisions and was directed to alter my reports based on what I was told. There is this mentality of “you can make everything a finding” and when things don’t go as intended, you’ll be “thrown under the bus”. There was constant pressure to meet schedule and you were rewarded with more work.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove policy and training for inclusion and engagement of employees

Your work makes a difference

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsGreat employees; amazing products. When patients come to the facility and talk about how Thoratec's products kept them from dying it really brings home the fact you're making a difference with your work.

ConsLack of management communication and systems

Every year someone in each department is targeted and fired

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsGreat profit sharing and high salaries in a comfortable office environment. Cutting edge medical device products including heart pumps.

ConsManagement secretly meets to profile and target and fire professionals. It sounds paranoid, but it was true. I was fired in order to promote a peer to director level. They needed my salary to justify promoting him.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep everything above board. Don't keep secrets from the employees.

Engineer

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsGreat Management, Open to changes and friendly environment

ConsNeeds more open communication with employees

Advice to Senior ManagementNo comment

Great place for a new hire!

Engineer (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsThe people at the Pleasanton Headquarters are very warm and open. I was with the engineers and they were happy to explain what they were doing to others.

Salary was great, awesome community events

ConsThe HR people are nice, but a little scary.

It was sometimes too cold in the building.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Thoratec Corp in danger of loosing its edge

R&D Engineer (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsCompany is high GP. Lot of cash flow

ConsManagement spends money lavishly. They have no centralized vision. The director level of management does not know what they are doing. They take trips just to get out of the office and call it supplier visit or audit. Engineering on the NPI side is made up of all fresh out of school not it all, they no nothing about design. Thoratec can not bring their focus together. They don't have a working next gen product. One trick pony.

Advice to Senior ManagementCollaborate instead of fighting one another. Get a leader who knows how to lead.

Worked for Thoratec Corp? Contribute to the Community!