Thoratec Corp

Thoratec Corp CEO Gerhard F. Burbach
Gerhard F. Burbach

Okay company

I worked at Thoratec Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work/Life balance; Employee stock purchase program; Heath benefits are okay, but not great.

Cons

Lack of sophisticated systems (i.e. HRIS); Extremely limited career growth/promotional opportunities on the corporate side of the organization; No robust professional development program; PTO instead of separate vacation and sick leave.

If you want to become a larger global company, you need to start thinking like one now.

Disgraceful, unprofessional environment

Current Employee - Quality in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Quality in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Thoratec Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to be part of this organization.

Cons

Management was about as unprofessional as I have every experienced. Dishonest, disgraceful, pathetic, low class and mind blowing.

Get on the ball and work on your professionalism.the comments do not pertain to all and the guilty should know who they are........... you are in the wrong business!!!!!

Towards the bottom of the scale (3 out of 10)

I worked at Thoratec Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training was a high priority.

Cons

Managment (at least in my department ) was the worst I have ever worked with. Promises not kept, funds wasted, favoritism and unprofessionalism existed frequently.

Stay in tune with your individual departments so you know what's really going on.

Software Engineer loves working here!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Thoratec Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very friendly and minimal stress work environment. Great Managers, smart, friendly, respectful, and understanding. Excellent work-life balance. No "clock punching", as long as you are keeping up with your assignments you can pretty much come and go as you please (exception is having to be there for scheduled meetings, which of course is very reasonable). Friendly co-workers. A very rare work environment with a strong culture of respect and consideration for others. World-leader in our industry. Tons of investment in R&D, product pipeline will be full for years to come. Nobody here can remember when or if there has ever been layoffs - very low turnover. Tough multi-day interview process, but once you're in it appears that you have very good long-term job security (some current employees in R&D have been with the company up to 30+ years). Best bosses and working conditions in my 35+ year career.

Cons

Pay is OK, but certainly not the best among local tech companies. In some ways it feels like a company that has no competitors, because for decades that was the case. Thoratec needs to be very aware at all levels that we are no longer a monopoly, some changes need to be made to increase our competitiveness so that we can remain #1. Frustration can occur with engineers because of the glacial pace we must proceed at (being FDA regulated), patience is a required trait here if you don't want to go crazy. Everyone here seems to be risk adverse to an extreme fault, sometimes stunting the engineers ability to use the latest technology and tools (it's been working this way for years, DON'T CHANGE IT!) - a little more risk taking to advance our technology and methods might not be a bad thing.

Allow engineers to spend 15% or 20% of their time working on their own personal projects which will enhance their familiarity with the latest technologies and increase their motivation, productivity, and job satisfaction - it's better than just surfing the net when one needs a short break from their current tasks or when they are between tasks.

Good Products and Company but Can Be Improved

I have been working at Thoratec Corp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The new tech in the pipeline shows promise but needs more resources and manpower to make the product better. Company definitely value their products to ensure its safety and efficacy.

Cons

Lack of resources and minimal funding. One employee maybe performing a two person job. No sick leave - you use your PTO. Employees either technicians or managers need more training in their respective roles. Difficult to move up in the company especially if you are a technician.

Work Experience

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Thoratec Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting place to learn many new things, interaction with doctors and many interdisciplinary problems. good benefits, lots of training, rich company, great work accommodations. great place to learn about materials and different types of materials testing, people are extremely nice and approachable.
    Less stress compare to semiconductor equipment business.

Cons

Everything moves very slow, going around FDA requirements sometimes makes the design almost impossible. Too much outsourcing of the design makes it hard to manage future developments. Need to keep ideas in the house.

Keep it up

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Burlington, MA

I worked at Thoratec Corp as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great collaboration. Mnagement conveyed company values and business goals well.

Cons

I have no cons to mention.

None.

Marketing is unethical & sleazy.

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Thoratec Corp as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Better than no job at all.

Cons

R&D was in Boston requiring early hrs. for conference calls. My mgr. in Marketing promised a lot but only talking a good game, never delivered on anything, like bringing this contractor on permanently, he was always gone but still demanded wkly. progress reports. I was forbidden to communicate with permanent coworkers to prevent comparisons as I learned they were severely underpaid. When project neared completion & budgets cut he couldn't find any performance-related reason to layoff so he sneaked around with 3rd parties looking for anything to criticize & manufactured something. I'm told that's SOP there with marketing.

Workplace & especially marketing policies are unprofessional & cheap. There are lots of trust issues between workers & mgmt. for good reasons.

Passionate and dedicated employees but management is a bit out of touch

I worked at Thoratec Corp full-time

Pros

Dedicated employees are united by their lifesaving cause.
    Their product lines for mechanical circulatory support (MCS) are industry leading.
    Their patients are forever grateful for this second chance at a better quality of life.

Cons

Little recognition of even substantial achievements.
    Lack of any true career mobility. Thoratec tends to bring in outside talent rather than groom existing employees.

Could be better.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Thoratec Corp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are great.

Cons

Management is not that great. The company has been around for over 30 years but you would never know it. Many things are not well thought out before they are executed.

Get your act together and listen to your employees.