Thorlabs

Be The First To
Add Photos

Alex Cable

opportunity rich

ProsThere are a lot of opportunities for capable and ambitious people to build careers at Thorlabs. I have been the beneficiary of several opportunities in the 5 plus years that have expanded my skill set and benefited my career.

ConsIf you need a highly structured environment with direct management of your job function you might find it difficult to work at Thorlabs. The environment is very much entrepreneurial... where career success is somewhat dependent on identifying opportunities and pursuing them versus waiting for them to be given to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to expand on your recent efforts to communicate the companies goals and organizational changes.

Customer-centric, but not employee-centric

Customer Service (Current Employee) Newton, NJ

ProsI like the ease and freedom I am given when it comes to making my customers happy. I also like the benefits that Thorlabs provides.

ConsThe pay is poor and the managers don't have a clue what my department is even responsible for. I have had 4 different managers in my 3 years of being here and that includes a 6 month period of not having a manager at all. The company has not given my group any direction or goals and so I have not been given much of an opportunity to grow as an employee. I have asked two of my managers how I can advance myself and become a better asset to the company and both of them literally shrugged and told me they weren't sure. How can you create the foundation of a career with that kind of leadership?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue and stop looking outside the company for leadership when you have plenty of young minds within! There are plenty of good employees here to mold into future management who are already accustomed to the company's culture and atmosphere.

I wouldn't work here if I were you

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCan't think of any pros to put down for this company. Well, except for maybe the gym membership benefit for employee and tuition reimbursement. However, you're only eligible for them after being 6 months in the wine press called Thorlabs

ConsPay is way below industry average. 0 to very little training is provided, you're recruited and left to figure out things as you go along. Poor middle management. The general manager for my location ran the facility like an autocracy and there was nothing we could do about it. Almost reported this company for gender discrimination but decided to let bygones be and move on with my life. Atmosphere in the office is depressing, no one really liked their job

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more effort in employee relations, else you'll have a lawsuit in your hands one day.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management has no clue

Marketing (Current Employee) Newton, NJ

ProsDress code, hours, working environment,

ConsManagement, politics, no leadership, no vision, no idea about how to run a proper business, HR has no idea about what they are doing, hiring close relatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince there is no such a thing called Management in this company, you might as well hope to get to know some VIP such as wife of the marketing manager, or his mother in law etc.

meh

Planner (Current Employee) Newton, NJ

Prostuition reimbursement, good health insurance, dress code

Conswill work you till you burn out or quit, no recognition at all, you can go above and beyond and in your reviews you'll never get better than 'meets expectations' (they do this to justify the meager raises. The pay is awful, middle management is awful, supervisors treat you badly.

Advice to Senior Managementgive supervisors and middle management people skill seminars. stop letting managers hire friends and family for higher pay than the rest of the employees this creates a great deal misery in the ranks.

Good starter

Prosbenefits, experience, nice building and laid back dress code

Conspay, expectations, quick turn-overs and company culture (<< it gets in the way of actual work.)

Advice to Senior Managementbe willing to train!

Decent job, not a career.

ProsGood benefits, hours are good.

ConsManagement is horrendous. No credit for hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Treat people with respect.

friendly deparment

Distribution (Current Employee)

ProsNo, really, if you are friend with the Distribution department manager than you have perks, like watching videos in your computer for hours, or going to the gym everyday for a long time come back take a good shower and enjoy your lunch.You can also disappear and come back with Dunkin coffee.
    The company rarely fires people
    Health insurance and vacation days

ConsIf you are not one of the “friends” be prepared to work all day long without recognition or being told that you did not meet the productivity standards while if you are one of the friends you can talk for hours about anything in life.
    Pay is low
    Small raises

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease supervise your department managers.
    The company is growing though it is not directly related to good middle management.

Work here if you need a job.

ProsCompany is growing. It is good company for first job. The company is willing to hire older work force.

ConsNo training or development for employees. No accountabilities for many employees. Only if they want to get rid of you, then suddenly minor mistakes become fatal errors. Many engineers and managers are both ignorant and arrogant at the same time. Flat management structure, so if you are not management track, you are stuck. Titles given to everyone is arbitrary and meaningless. Benefits and Salaries are subpar.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because the Photonic industry is rising does not means the company was run by great managers. After all rising tides lift all boats. Only when the sea is rough you can see if you have a great team to lead you through tough time.

Last Resort

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newton, NJ

ProsRunning water. Some people are nice. Pays slightly better than unemployment.

ConsManagement is mostly inept and treats employees like crap. HR might as well not exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees. Have a clue how to manage. Realize there is more to life than Thorlabs.

Worked for Thorlabs? Contribute to the Community!