Thornton Tomasetti

Thornton Tomasetti Chairman & CEO Tom Z. Scarangello

Tom Z. Scarangello

Very dissatisfied

New York, NY

ProsCompany name on resume, good benefits, access to technical knowledge based on experience

ConsPoor salary, too much nepotism and unfair criteria for individual growth in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to how this company worked and performed in the good old days

Chicago Facade Group Poorly Managed

Chicago, IL

ProsMany of the projects are high visibility for well known clients; good names and projects to have under your belt.

ConsManagement does not manage the staff, projects or clients well. Staff is left wondering what they are supposed to be doing then to have last minute deadlines with uncertain direction. Working in this group is like working in a small shop with little hope for exposure to the wider firm or for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet managers with professional project and people management skills. Discourage the silo mentality and encourage more collaboration. Look around at what other top-rated companies are doing to retain talented people.

Demanding work with very low pay

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsWork is good, challenging and has a learning environment.

ConsPays low salaries to its employees, which ultimately leads to less job satisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan reduce attrition by more job satisfaction by paying competitive salaries as other companies.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Projects

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, great projects, lots of offices to work in.

ConsSalary is not as good, hard to move up, seems arbitrary who gets promoted and who doesn’t. General feeling among younger staff is that everyone is replaceable.

Enjoyed the technical work and clients, but management and company outlook is bleak.

Project Engineer (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsBecause of its name and prestige, TT draws interesting clients and projects, giving you the opportunity to experience and learn a great deal even as an entry level engineer. Opportunities for inter-office transfer are available, and the company is generally flexible with respect to hours and vacations.

ConsConsidering the required skill level (MS degree, professional certifications, etc.), the long hours, and the amount of stress, the salary and benefits are dismal.

Lack of solid leadership skills and collaboration coming from upper management. An incredibly top-heavy company. At the current rate of promotions and lack of hiring, everyone will become a vice-president and no one will be doing any "actual" work. A/E Industry outlook is grim; I wouldn't be surprised to see TT downsizing even more so over the next several years.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmarter and leaner upper management is required. Increased focus on improving technical staff benefits and rewards. Consider the possibility that your business model from 25 years ago will no longer be sustainable in the current market.

Low pay, high expectations

New York, NY

ProsTT was a fun place to work because they have interesting, complex projects. My experience with the structure group left me with the feeling that I was working with very smart engineers.

ConsIn my position I did not receive very much in the way of guidance or evaluation. I was expected to be as knowledgeable as an engineer that had been working there for a year. I was not given clear instruction for simple tasks and often was left out of 'big picture' discussion of a project. I did not receive an evaluation from my supervisor when I was let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would have felt a lot more comfortable if the staff had been friendly to me. There is not much in the way of camaraderie, as every employee seemed preoccupied with their tasks. Managers would literally talk over my head to my cube mates as I sat and worked, neglecting to acknowledge my existence.

You won't get promoted if you can not lie all the time

ProsGreat database of knowledge in Highrise building design field.

ConsThis company is cheap. The Senior Management get talented interns (J1-visa holders) from all over the world, who are ready to work 25 hours per day in order to be awarded with H1/B visa after internship is over. Later on you won't get promoted above "Senior Engineer" position if you can not lie all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch out a quality of the design work done by un-experienced and ambitions youngsters. Pay attention to the design teams working on international projects.

Woot woot

Chicago, IL

ProsCool projects - when I worked there we had some of the more interesting structural engineering projects to work on.

ConsThe people "running" the place (which is about 45% of the company) are unbelievably inept. It is clear that they hate engineering and love to pretend they are something else...business people I guess. But they're awful at that.

Advice to Senior ManagementI offer no advice, I believe you are all very happy with yourselves and that's good for you. Congrats on that.

Great projects and new learning experiences but overworked and lack of progression in compensation

Associate (Current Employee)
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsProjects are varied and interesting. Work with very talented staff all over the country. Depth of new learning is incredible.

ConsThe work load is very intense and the compensation is not necessarily commensurate with the personal sacrifice to meet deadlines and project commitments.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward those who are working hard in the trenches or acquire additional staff to share the load. Focus less on sustainability, which adds cost to the company, and more on profitability which should translate in better compensation all the way down to the employees performing work. Compensate employees for overtime.

Great experience/exposure but at the cost of work/life balance.

ProsGreat portfolio of projects
    Some really great gems of people are scattered throughout the company
    Good resources
    Opportunities to transfer between offices & practice sectors (pending economy & availability)

ConsSink or swim mentality
    Culture may not be for everyone
    Work/life balance is often a struggle
    Culture/values/outlook vary between local offices (could also be a pro)

Advice to Senior ManagementRemind Management as the company grows and becomes more and more "corporate" to not forget the "keep it real" values of the earlier years.

Worked for Thornton Tomasetti? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Thornton Tomasetti reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Thornton Tomasetti CEO Tom Z. Scarangello . All 35 reviews posted anonymously by Thornton Tomasetti employees.