Thorntons (Kentucky)

Add Photos

Matt Thornton

Excellent Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsRoom for advancement, friendly environment, benefits are good, always growing company, works well with time off requests and schedule, great work-life balance

Consjob can become repetitive, training can lack

cashier

Cashier (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosclose to home, full time work.

Conswhere shall I start??? We have gotten 100% in the "shops" three times in a row, yet we got 10 cent raises, no more bonuses, and our insurance was cut. The place is a gold mine, but just for the CEO. We are held responsible for thieves driving off, yet they keep the pumps the same instead of pay first, cause it's a "family atmosphere." It took a person dying, before they put another person at night for a few hours, Their is a "good ole boy" atmosphere in this company, if you aren't a boy, you are expendable.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your hard workers, and don't condone bad ones.

Great place to start when you are young and single.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsGrowing company, always hiring, decent possibilities to move up to SM level, fast paced, nice co-workers, challenging, excellent perks at the General Manager level and above, and an excellent opportunity to learn different areas of business.

ConsTerrible work-life balance (especially if you have a family), mandatory 50 hrs/wk for SM and above, high stress, extremely low pay for amount time/work put in, high standards and expectations with little incentives, impossible to take vacations, only get 1 week vacation/yr until your 3rd year- then you get 2 weeks, high turnover, lack of quality staff (low pay), little chance to move up into corporate positions, politics, nepotism- so family/friends getting promoted and holding the desirable positions (especially at the corporate office.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce an anti-nepotism clause for future employees (it's good business ethics), be more supportive to SM's and GM's taking vacation. While you are at it, start management out with 2 weeks vacation a year. 1 week vacation a year is not enough for the amount to time you spend at the store. Studies have proven that a good work-life balance makes employees far more productive and efficient, because they are happy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cashier

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Round Lake Park, IL

ProsWorking with people, Monthly Bonus

ConsManagement, lack of respect

great culture

Prosgreat people to work with

Consnot many cons! more vacation

Great culture!!

Store Manager (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGreat place to work.
    Friendly Management

ConsHours are retail can be lengthy

Advice to Senior ManagementNot enough info

Great place to work, but the money should be a lot better.

Helpdesk (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsFriendly management, competent co-workers, low stress environment.

ConsThe pay is about 1/2 to 3/4 of the local industry standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo stay competitive and bring in the best talent (of which there is a wealth in this city) the pay needs to much better.

I was an assistant manager in Central Illinois.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Galesburg, IL

ProsThe work was stable, always new things to do and try. Business was very good, and they always have something new to try out and try to expand.

ConsStaffing was somewhat inconsistant. Poor disiplinary consistency (some people will get transfered, or even fired over attitude, while others will just "not advance" and stay in place for years). Assistant managers were often leaned upon to an unreasonable extent to cover shortcomings with hiring. Very few holidays or weekends off for non-general managers, nearly impossible to utilize vacation time. The hours were bad, 50 hours mandatory, no consistancy, and god help you if someone calls in. It's you covering, guaranteed.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember your management staff are in fact people. Time off to be be with family and the ability to have at least one holiday off a year would be an amazing boon to morale.

I don't recommend this company for anyone!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Crest Hill, IL

ProsThe nice thing is they pay weekly and try to keep giving a good amount of hours!

ConsSecond shift has more duties to do, while first and third doesn't really do much. Needs to give a set schedule to EVERYONE not just a few people and everyone should work 2 nights a week not just a few people every night of the week. It's unfair to those who have to work nothing but nights. Schedule bounces around from week to week so a person can't get any kind of organization in life. Doesn't pay enough for the amount of work that is expected out of the employees!!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a set schedule! Everyone must work at least 2 nights a week including Management. Can't use children as an excuse!! Responsible adults don't especially if they're trying to make ends meet. Don't favor just any one person. Give better training not just stupid videos to show how things are done. Hands on is better than watching videos or reading!

Thorntons Oil cashier

Cashier (Former Employee) Lexington, KY

ProsGet to meet people, sometimes with employees it can be a fun workplace, management is usually easy going or laid back but not always.

ConsCustomers are very disrespectful, pay isn't very good, alot is expected with little compensation, horrible work hours, work by yourself on third shift, and easy for robberies.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't delegate so much responsibility onto your part-time employees such as cashiers when general management doesn't do anything but "paper-work"

Worked for Thorntons (Kentucky)? Contribute to the Community!