Thorntons (Kentucky) Reviews

3.1
Matt Thornton

1. Manager

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time

Pros

The company does pay managers well and does offer some great benefits, such as pay, vacation, esop, retirement.

Cons

Not enough balance of work and family time... the demands of the job keep being time consuming and it is hard to continually find reliable, motivated employees

Advice to Management

There has to be some change in how to staff the stores. The candidates for the basic positions require more than the candidates consider giving.

2. csr

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hermitage, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hermitage, TN

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

one of the better companies I've worked for. They try to care for their employees.

Cons

When it comes to the employees scheduled needs management doesn't care. The check list for gettin this done is rediculace and time consuming. You are held accountable for everything even if there isn't enough employees or your by yourself you still are made to get everything done.

Advice to Management

If your employees are takin care of they will take care of you

3. I found my happy!! Pass it on!!

Current Employee - FSM in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - FSM in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time

Pros

Excellent training. Great benefits. Better than average pay. Non judgmental. Open door. Open mind. Refreshing,Convenient and a Fun place to work!

Cons

Honestly haven't found any cons yet but when I do I'll report;)

Advice to Management

Keep striving to rise above the norm as most people view a "gas station ". Continue to "be different ". And always believe in your people.

5. Overall it was a good experience

Former Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in Jeffersonville, IN
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in Jeffersonville, IN

I worked at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good stable company with good benefits. Health ins incd dental and vision. Short term and long term disability insurance, paid sick days and holidays

Cons

I felt trying to advance at times could be difficult. I felt that some positions were given to some because of who you know, instead of being earned based on you knowledge and experience.

Advice to Management

The reason I was let go was do to my use of a few choice words when just engaging in normal conversation with a co-worker. I was told that the co-worker complained, but I never used any language or words that I had not heard come from the mouth of the accusing co-worker on multiple occasions. I felt they were wrong to release me over what I consider to be no wrong at all on my part. I feel it was truly do to my health condition that they released me over

Not what I expected

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally speaking people very pleasant and everyone has good intentions. Lot of growth potential here. New concepts very aggressive.

Cons

Poorly organized, communication is scattered and not organized. A lot of turnover here. Opportunity is high but risk of being separated also high unless part of the core group of people. Great culture and mission statement but they don't really live it. Training doesn't happen.

Advice to Management

Work on infrastructure and planning before taking on additional projects and initiatives. Improve communication of plans and expectations. Eliminate internal silos.

7. Great company trying to become even greater

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky)

Pros

Growing, converting to fresh food, have money to invest, seem that care about employees

Cons

Hard work, long hours, early mornings. Wish there was more promotion opportunities

Advice to Management

Review pay scales

8. Decent job

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Park Ridge, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Park Ridge, IL

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky)

Pros

Steady hours. Raise every year. By a quarter. Simple job

Cons

Mean customers. To much corporate bs

Advice to Management

Treat employees like you want to be treated by district managers.

9. horrible company.

Current Employee - Food Service Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Food Service Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky)

Pros

Steady income, same shift most of the time. Paid vacation every year

Cons

Pay isn't good, hardly promote within, treated fairly, list goes on and on

Advice to Management

Treat people like they matter and they would work harder. Specifically people that goes beyond what I'd asked of them already

10. A job to get by, Definitely not a Career

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hours are definitely available if you are wanting and willing to work. Friendly co-workers. Local Environment (You will practically see a lot of faces very frequently.)

Cons

Lack of hours esp. on the weekends in which management is usually not around past a certain time in a 24 hour establishment puts a lot more stress on regular "cashiers" to have to literally fill that role as far as solving problems and completing tasks. No-shift differential for overnight and unless in a major store(or one that has been robbed) you are usually left alone to handle numerous amounts of tasks with customers coming in throughout the night. Shaky schedule, depending on the situation overnight workers are often scheduled to work the afternoon shift as well ex 10p-6am then 2p-10p same day. lack of WLB for full time employees. Personal Growth is non-existent at Thornton's for many CSR's the harder you work the more they ask of you with no incentive. Low-pay, No bonuses, Terrible benefits package.

Advice to Management

At the end of the day great talent needs to be recognized, in a growing company and one that is making great strides with the new rewards program its time someone in upper management took the time to acknowledge the employees that make it happen on a daily basis. Another issue is that on the overnight there should be 2 people on at all times with the money being made with the new rewards program there is no reason why third shift employees should be left alone in a store to handle the numerous tasks at hand on a typical night it'd also keep the said person relaxed as they would have someone nearby.My issues with scheduling is that Full-time status should only be given to those who can work full-time during the week and weekends too often in stores there are full-time employees not working weekends or nights this basically leave the weekends to the part timers or a full-timer who's relegated as the weekender who then eventually leave because who wants to work every weekend? This company is growing and really has no reason not to try and make things easier for its employees there are many other issues I could address such as lack of control in stores to get products that sell and so forth but I am not here to write an essay. My advice to anyone looking for a job here, is know that this job is rough you wont make much and depending on the staff may be asked to carry the load for the slack.

11. Great experiences

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good people to work with and opportunities to advance

Cons

if you're in management, kiss your family life good bye. VERY long hours!

Advice to Management

Regional Managers do not provide consistent support needed by their General and Store Managers.

RSS Feed </> Embed