ThoughtWorks

ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao

Guo Xiao

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome!

Senior Developer (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat colleagues. A lot of growth if you can sustain the travel. If you like challenges, this is the place to be.

ConsWork life balance can be difficult to maintain. Might feel isolated from the home office if you don't visit the TW office regularly.

ThoughtWorks is great in so many ways, but the lifestyle is draining.

Principal Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Culture
    Great Benefits
    Work with Best and Brightest

ConsTravel
    Work / Life Balance
    Developer Centric

Young and single? This is a dream job

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsAmazing people - absolutely brilliant coworkers, variety of technology stacks and projects, lots of management support (at least at the project level), pretty good benefits.

ThoughtWorks has the best coworkers I've ever even imagined. Every single person I meet who works for TW I end up liking. One of the things TW does BEST is selectively hire for both talent and personality. You can immediately trust your coworkers, more than just for technical competence, but also for their good personalities, willingness to help out when needed, go the extra mile, be generally nice and civilized people, etc.

Lots of fun to be had while traveling, provided you don't have anyone waiting at home for you (this job can rapidly destroy a romantic relationship) - drinks on the house, lots of people to hang out with, eat dinner out all the time, etc.

You also have loads of support for technical learning, and the benefit of being able to ask some very, very smart people for help.

ConsPay is a healthy notch below the market rate; terrible work-life balance; traveling all of the time is miserable; ethically, rather full of themselves and hypocritical.

A lot gets made at ThoughtWorks about the "pillar three" (social and economic justice) values of the company, and a lot gets talked about it. I don't see so much actually being DONE about it. Some of our biggest clients border on the downright bad (child labor, invasion of privacy, etc), and almost all of them are "just business", ie we're there in mediocre technology stacks simply to make money.

Also, there is not much "pillar two" or technologically cutting-edge stuff happening, at least in the US. Lots of making money though, so it is not a place I would be worried about going out of business. And it's not a bad place to work at all - just gets tiring hearing this self-congratulatory back-patting all of the time about how ethical we are when we work for like, retail and auto industries. Come on.

These are kind of... reactions to the ideologues within TW. At a practical level, there are 2 things that make it very difficult.

1) Pay. While not bad (nobody making a living as a developer is getting paid "badly" at the moment), it's not competitive, and it can be frustrating to go on job sites and see less-talented-than-you developers making 50% more a year in cases. It's demoralizing. It's also tough to be approached for less-fun-and-interesting jobs but jobs that pay in some cases 50% more a year almost weekly without starting to wonder if you're being a fool for turning down serious amounts of money.

2) Travel. This is really the big one for me. Traveling every week is pure misery. Even if you're lucky enough to have shorter flights, you will inevitably end up with delays, waiting in long airport security lines, and spending 3 or 4 or 5 nights a week - every week - away from your loved ones and your home. If you can stay with your parents and have no significant other and just save money and enjoy the travel, this is no problem. Once you're in a relationship, you'll find your husband or wife (or fiance or whatever) will eventually get tired of you being away most of the time. Also you will grow to vehemently despise the American traveling public and become a bitter, jaded, cynical, angry person any time you are forced to step into the miserable places called "airports" (I had stronger words but apparently they were too profane for glassdoor.com). Seriously. I am being sort of funny, but I can't find words strong enough to describe my hatred of air travel. And it started off being fun! I was excited, then I got status, got upgrades.... now it is just tedium and unpleasantness.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so pretentious. Talk less about P2/P3 and DO MORE about them. Also, stop treating your big accounts like you are too afraid to lose them - take more risks. Consider the benefits of having an office that has more travelers, but is in a cool, affordable city (NYC/SF/CHI too expensive, ATL/DAL/AUS too lame, TOR also rather lame).

Also, seriously slow down with the hiring. You will lose the valuable culture you have fought so hard (and done SUCH A GOOD JOB) to get.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best job ever

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsContinuous learning, new experiences, smart people, collaborative work

ConsSo much pressure to bill

Advice to Senior ManagementGo lean - too, too many managers

Passionate, Diverse, Activist

Chicago, IL

ProsIn addition to being a very brainy and passionate bunch, they take social justice very seriously. Instead of just seeing issues such as CSR, diversity, and discrimination as boxes to tick off, they are constantly trying to improve themselves. They are also always willing to invest a lot in their employees, both in terms of initial training and future professional development.

ConsYou shouldn't come to TW if you're looking to cash in. Junior Consultant salaries won't get you a penthouse on the Mag Mile. Instead, come for the environment and the interesting work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to your values! It's what makes TW unique.

Amazing company to work for

Chicago, IL

ProsThoughtworks is not like any other company that i have heard of. Not only do they do great work and run a very successful business, but they are concerned about improving the world around them. Thoughtworks wants to use technology to improve social issues globally. They are heavily involved in many organizations reaching out to young women and people of color or low income to encourage careers and interests in technology.

Along with their social work, they are a forward thinking company. Using Agile methodologies and always staying on top of the newest tech ideas and topics, they are able to offer unique solutions to clients problems.

Finally, the people at Thoughtworks are amazing. Incredibly diverse, smart, talented, and excited to be there. The office has regular discussions on the topic of race, politics, basically everything you're taught NOT to talk about, Thoughtworks addresses. People are open to discussing issues and controversial topics without being offended. As an employee we are given the opportunity to learn from others and to discuss interesting topics without judgement or pretense.

Consno cons come to mind

ThoughtWorks is comprised of very talented people

Principal Consultant (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsWorking with very talented people.
    Great brand and culture. I genuinely liked my colleagues.
    Great people, amazing technical talent and strong/passionate community

ConsNot many if you can tolerate the traveling/consultant lifestyle and find the right project

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep senior people honest and relevant by keeping them in front of clients and in touch with project teams

ThoughtWorks is a great place to make a difference in the world

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsWork with and learn from amazing people.
    Push for social justice.

ConsTravel is a big part of consulting.

Underneath the hype and pretty colors, all they care about is the bottom line.

Account Management (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThey talk a good talk. Very intelligent people. Free coke in the offices. Some fun home office days.

ConsOpinionated, you are expected to believe what everyone else believes. Reverse hiring, worrying more about hiring the right deomgraphic as opposed to the right person. The company wants to feel like they are

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to look side to side and see what the others are doing. There are cases of mean spiritness, unfair treatment and some very unethical discussions behind employees' backs. I ask that they become the "open" management they choose to portray.

Unique company, good culture, not for everyone

People Support (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsHigh calibre colleagues, interesting work, opportunities to advance knowledge on technical, cultural and social issues, less hierarchy than typical corporation, travel, embraces diversity of thought.

ConsCareer path may be hard- lots of flexibility but may be too unstructured for some. Difficult to succeed without strong internal network. Some who are drawn to the company nevertheless may not be best fits and will struggle more.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore fresh new people in leadership roles and at higher level.

Worked for ThoughtWorks? Contribute to the Community!

ThoughtWorks Videos

ThoughtWorks – Why Work for Us?

OK, let’s get the corporate stuff out of the way first. ThoughtWorks is a global IT consultancy providing Agile-based systems development and consulting services. We've pioneered many of the most advanced and successful… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ThoughtWorks reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ThoughtWorks CEO Guo Xiao. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by ThoughtWorks employees.