ThoughtWorks

ThoughtWorks Reviews in London, England

Updated Jul 21, 2014

ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao

Guo Xiao

Pros
  • It still employs the highest density of smart people in the industry that I've ever seen(in 36 reviews)

• You can learn a lot at TW in your first couple of years(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for the billable consultants is pretty poor(in 11 reviews)

• The problem is you often don't get to choose, which can result in a lot of travel as well(in 9 reviews)

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing growth opportunities

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe opinions are based on my personal experience and is about London office. Your experience might vary. For example I keep hearing that in US people are expected to travel way more. Be sure to read the reviews/contact employees from the region you're planning to apply to.

* Opportunities to grow both on personal and professional levels
    * Lots of interesting technically work
    * Usually you get quite a lot of influence on what projects you're being sent to. You want travel internationally - can be done, you want to stay in London - can be done, a technically complex project - can be done, a project that is complex from human/organisational perspective - can be done etc, etc. A bit of luck and not expecting that all you requirements will be met helps though. Don't expect to get a project in London that is interesting from both technical and organisational perspective all the time.
    * Great people to work with - smart and fun
    * Informal and fun atmosphere
    * Great career opportunities if you decide to leave
    * Does more to improve the world around us that any other commercial company that I've heard of. Impressive and creates that warm feeling inside that you're doing your bit
    * Frontrunner of technical excellence in the business. Sometimes creates new trends and quick to pickup interesting approaches from other sources and spread it in businesses

Cons* Can be intimidating and hard to navigate at first. More experienced Thoughtworkers are supposed to help you out in the beginning but from what I've experienced and heard from others it doesn't work out that well in most cases.
    * Being good with people is even larger requirement than in other IT jobs. Creating rapport, managing expectations, influencing people are part of your regular job and help a lot in the internal work relationships. Can be good or bad for you but it's something that is good to be aware of.
    * Little structure means among others that there is little structural support. If you have trouble you need to reach out. Not much interest from anyone while on the project - unless your PM cares about regular catchups with you.
    * Social and economic values are more often preached than practiced. UK is told it sponsors work done in other regions
    * You get paid significantly less

Advice to Senior ManagementMore pure technical career paths. Make people feel listened to. Listen more carefully why people are leaving - it affects those that are staying as well. Put more emphasis on sponsors - it is a great idea that could work way better.

Great people, good projects, salary below the average

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThere is a good recruitment process in place that guarantee an above-the-average quality of the employee. The focus on the social and economic justice is always welcome. Highly recommended for grads and generally for the people-ware ones

ConsThe salary is a bit below the market average, sometimes you have to travel in quite far locations.

Advice to Senior Managementbe sure to secure the highest company value: feedback

Fantastic company to work for, with some strange flaws

Consultant Developer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFantastic working culture - doing agile the right way. Strong emphasis on professional development. Because TW works in small teams in client sites, you will be freed from much of the hierarchy that it present in a normal business. You will also be able to take on stretch roles that you'd never be able to get into in a normal business. Company is very open about finances and releases summaries to the entire business. Strong focus on working with people - I learned a lot about soft skills here. Fantastic internal training program for graduates ("TWU")

ConsAnnual review process systematically disadvantages those unable to game it. Company political stances (socialist/progressive) sometimes go overboard. The travelling can be unsustainable - it's even worse in the US. The loss-making parts of the business can sometimes cause wider belt-tightening. Occasionally I thought about sectioning members of the senior management team under the mental health act.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease reform the annual review process

If you can reduce the burn rate in the loss-making parts of the business, then you'll be able to make the business as a whole more stable.

Stop indulging the founder

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The zero politics, true collaboration company

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFlat, no hierarchy, small company feel, servant leadership, outstanding people, technology visionaries, operates to board level.

ConsTravel (although same challenge as any consulting company).

Advice to Senior ManagementIncredible demand for services already - can more be done to assist clients in business strategy

Career building but croneyism at the top

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAdventurous and bold approach to winning and delivering interesting digital solutions for Clients.
    Opportunity to develop as a consultant based on practice rather that theory
    Passionate and knowledgable colleagues
    Opportunity to try your hand outside of your discipline
    Variable work and working locations

ConsChairman runs the firm as a fiefdom, where cronies are rewarded over merit.
    Doesn't always live up the hype of "aligned work", and sometimes there is a gap between the externally communicated mission and the work that is actually available.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the business to grow-up and get free of the Chairman

Great place to learn and great place to work.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsLots of challenges. Lots of variety. Lots of opportunity to learn other disciplines and upskill. Interesting projects and client. Great diversity of people.

ConsLots of time away from home, which can be a good thing and a bad thing. The problem is you often don't get to choose, which can result in a lot of travel as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get more work in London so that people at least have the opportunity to have some time in their home office every now and then.

A great company to work for. Learned lots within the first year and the pace doesn't slow down.

Graduate Developer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsLearning opportunities, attitude to staff, people, social justice causes

ConsSalary lower then some places with equal acceptance requirements

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, but raise salaries a bit ;)

Herding cats

Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsTechnically strong development business and some nice people

Consvery difficult to get anything done, seems like everyone is plodding along and no real dynamism or motivation to make anything happen - probably due to the "no bonus" approach they have which is all very customer focused and new age but if like me you have ever visited a communist country like Cuba for example you will understand the effect that such an approach to salaries has - basically if there is no incentive to earn more or achieve more then no one really seems to push to get things done - this is my observation from working with Thoughtworks and visiting Cuba - very similar.

Advice to Senior Managementpay commission/bonus, make stuff happen, dont waste people`s time

Happy to work here.

Lead Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood people, variety of technologies, travel opportunities, ethical employer.

ConsProjects can be a bit samey - great if you like building websites. Can be on the road a lot and might have to roll onto projects that don't fit with your personal circumstances or career objectives.

Awesome

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsReally good people to work with
    Travel -- lots of fun

Conspolitics to get places on exciting projects / your choice projects.
    salary is not as competitive (no bonus)

Advice to Senior Managementhire better people higher up who engage with people better and more

Worked for ThoughtWorks? Contribute to the Community!