ThoughtWorks Reviews

Reset
3.7
ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao

Pros
  • Very smart people, very diverse (in 39 reviews)

• Good work life balance (sometimes depends on the client too) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can often be a sacrifice if you wish to grow (in 15 reviews)

• The problem is you often don't get to choose, which can result in a lot of travel as well (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

An excellent place to get quality experience fast - real fast

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

a lot of interesting projects plenty of smart people to learn from opportunity to get international experience Agile powerhouse tons of fun

Cons

travel can get pretty intense generally comp is OK can get pretty political at times career paths for aspiring to become senior folks are unclear

Advice to Management

Figure out how to build a strong career development paths for talented employees - you have plenty to pick from

2. Great company if you like to travel

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, fun atmosphere, travel opportunities, company has a conscience, opportunities to work with variety of tech and domains, agile, mentoring others, equal treatment of women and minorities. Salaries used to be lower than competitors, but they have recently raised them. Relatively flat organizational structure - no real boss.

Cons

Too much travel required if you want to stay local in the US. A bit disorganized in some ways. Expected to spend extra time outside of billable time for many things, in addition to travel/flights (recruiting/volunteering/open source/etc)

3. Lead Consultant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ThoughtWorks (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company culture. Smart people to work with. Employee friendly.

Cons

Travel can get to you after a while. Need more focus on local work for employees.

Accepted offer but got fired before start working

Former Employee - Entry Applications Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Entry Applications Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers, awesome bootcamp at India.

Cons

Started later than my co-workers, missed pre-bootcamp intensive curse, been super stressed during the bootcamp (which actually seemed like a last step of the selection process). After all the visa process and leaving my country to move to the USA I got fired before actually start working, the cancelled my visa before telling me forcing me to leave the country in 3 days. VERY RUDE AND CRUEL. They didn't care about it. They made me sign some papers where I promised I would not sue them.

Advice to Management

The person who took the decision never met me or talked to me in person to know about the problems that I had to enter the company. This person misunderstood the report from my mentor and took and irreversible decision and communicated it to my by phone in a very rude and cruel way. I felt totally destroyed, my family too. I needed almost two years to recover myself after this.

6. Good

Pros

Awesome work environment, Great learning experience

Cons

Provide more facilities for employees

Advice to Management

None

One employer I regret quitting

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at ThoughtWorks (Less than a year)

Pros

Of all the places that I have worked, this is one company I think I quit too soon. Really motivated intelligent colleagues and respect for everybody. If you get a job here take it. Many times I thought I should go back and join them but life took me in a different direction.

Cons

nothing I found in my short term there

Great company, you will learn a lot

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

Smart people who are very passionate about software delivery. You will learn things at ThoughtWorks that are going to help you for the rest of your career.

Cons

You will always be able to make more money working elsewhere. I often thought of my job as perfect with one exception ... money.

Advice to Management

For the most part they should keep doing what they are doing. When I worked there though, it didn't seem as though there was a good career path for engineers who were financially motivated.

9. Excellent place to learn and grow especially for software engineers fresh of out college.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- You get to work with and learn from very smart people. - Excellent work culture. Thoughtworkers work hard and then have fun harder. - You get to travel a lot if you don't mind traveling.

Cons

- Thoughtworks is full of very out going and opinionated people. So sometimes it's hard to get appreciation for your work if you are an introvert or don't make a lot of noise. - You are not paid for over-time but are expected to consistently bill more than 40 hours.

Advice to Management

- The biggest issue I have had is that you are expected to come into the Thoughtworks office if you are back home on Friday even when doing 4x10 at the client. I don't think they should expect people to come in on Fridays if they have already billed 40 hours and are also traveling to the client site.

10. If you like working with Smart and passionate people.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

Pros

-The people, some of the best engineers you will work with. -Diversity, highest percentage of women in engineering. -Social awareness, the company is very conscious of social justice and you would come across lots of people who are actively doing something about it. -If you like traveling, this company would provide you a lot of opportunity to do that.

Cons

- The salary is not very competitive. - Like all companies, there is a fair share of freeloaders who have managed to convince people of their worth, by just being good at talking.

11. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at ThoughtWorks (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really good people. Lots of learning opportunities. Interesting work. Flattish structure. Heart in absolutely right place.

Cons

Does not pay market salary. Flat structure confusing in terms of reporting lines

Advice to Management

People come to TW for interesting work and interesting colleagues. Dont take on unaligned work or you would break the model.

RSS Feed </> Embed