ThoughtWorks Reviews

331 reviews filtered by
3.6
ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao

Pros
  • Excellent place to learn the trade and work with really smart people (in 39 reviews)

• Good work life balance (sometimes depends on the client too) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can often be a sacrifice if you wish to grow (in 15 reviews)

• The problem is you often don't get to choose, which can result in a lot of travel as well (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

An excellent place to get quality experience fast - real fast

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

a lot of interesting projects
    plenty of smart people to learn from
    opportunity to get international experience
    Agile powerhouse
    tons of fun

Cons

travel can get pretty intense
    generally comp is OK
    can get pretty political at times
    career paths for aspiring to become senior folks are unclear

Advice to Management

Figure out how to build a strong career development paths for talented employees - you have plenty to pick from

2. This place has a great culture, so you always feel like you are or you can make a positive impact on the world.

Current Employee - Consultant Developer
    Current Employee - Consultant Developer

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

-Smart and diverse coworkers
    -Commitment to continuous learning
    -Potential for global experience

Cons

-Sometimes projects are boring
    -Compensation is slightly below market value
    -Can find yourself working more than 40 hours quite often

Advice to Management

-Don't latch on to big clients if the work is not consistently interesting
    -Develop standards so employees' experiences are not negatively affected by their home office

3. Great place to grow and get fast experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great minds think alike! ThoughtWorks is the place where you can find all the great minds, projects, and experiences!
    Working the open-minded people is what brought me here and keeps wanting more!
    Feedback is very key at ThoughtWorks and is taken to heart.

Cons

Interview process was a little intimidating and there could be a better communication between the hiring process.

Advice to Management

Let the leader of the company be past developers or long-tme employees, this will help with miscommunication from leaders.

5. Amazing company for technical people

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at ThoughtWorks

Pros

-open culture
    -close to agile
    -close to lots of new technologies
    -work with lots of talents in the industry

Cons

-Too technical focused to have more business sense
    -Business development is a problem

6. I worked at ThoughtWorks for just a short time.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at ThoughtWorks as a contractor

Pros

Lots of peers around the same age, interests. You meet a lot of great people.

Cons

Never clear on career path.

Great company to learn about the right methods of software development

I worked at ThoughtWorks

Pros

Great open minded company, smart intelligent people, interesting projects

Cons

Pair programming could be a major con.

Not perfect, but there's no better place to learn coming out of college

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If there's one thing ThoughtWorks does amazingly well, it's that it is an incredible opportunity to learn, especially if you went through the ThoughtWorks University program like I did. They provide an incredible amount of support to further your technical knowledge through the use of an amazing training program and continued coaching and feedback beyond. As a new graduate right out of college, I feel like I learned more in a year here than I've had in my four years of school.

It's also a company that's filled with a lot of very brilliant, passionate people in their various fields who are incredibly eager to share their knowledge with you when they can. My coworkers are very transparent with one another, and the hierarchy by and large feels very flat and open to discussion and feedback about various elements of the company's work. It feels like we're a cohesive group where every individual opinion we put in leads to larger changes in the company, and all in all the comradery within the team makes it rewarding to put in work with the people you're staffed with.

All in all, as a tech company where you can expect to grow and learn a lot, ThoughtWorks really has been everything I wanted it to be and more.

Cons

There isn't much in the way of work-life balance with this job, something they are very upfront about upon joining the company. Due to the investment they place into each of their employees, there is also an expectation that you put in a very large amount of work both in and out of the office. It's definitely not a job for those who wish to settle down or be able to take their mind off work once they're off the clock.

There is also a sense that we tend to be heavy-handed with a lot of our opinions. I can tell that we often come across as pushy with our practices and don't always ease our clients into the suggestions we give as consultants, especially when our clients aren't necessarily ready for it. It can make us a little hard to work with on occasion when we adhere a bit too strongly to our idea of best practices and whatnot, though I know this is a criticism that we're trying to address.

Lastly, compensation and benefits could be better admittedly. Time off is decidedly scarce, and while other benefits aren't too bad they aren't especially competitive in the current job market.

Review of TW India : Good during early years in career.

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

Agile learning
    Plenty of opportunities to learn about new technologies and see them in action
    Very entrepreneurial startup buzz
    Flat organization, no hierarchy
    Essence and the idea of thoughtworks fantastic .- something very different from regular IT services firms. thankfully still there, although diluted over the years
    Cool, stress free work environment - office has a certain energy at the same time zen calmness about it.
    With a good team, interesting project, food, beverages, ping pong and foosball tables, one may never want to head home

Cons

Leadership and sophistication of office level leaders somewhat lacking
    Like many others have reported here, tw-ers tend to be highly opinionated, to the point of appearing like they have an attitude problem. Esp among mid-level folk who have grown up drinking the TW kool aid. Laterals often find it difficult.
    Do agree with other comments here that point out that the office one belongs to decides the quality of projects one wld get to work - not all offices equal apparently.
    Not too many enterprise projects, just a handful unlike top tier firms who have a steady pipeline of large accounts. deal breaker for those with limited interest in small 5 to 6 m projects or website devt stuff.
    Will code but won't maintain attitude keeps tw from getting some good projects
    Great for ppl in the early years of career...Not the right place for highly exp laterals (10+)
    Hype abt thoughtworkers being 'brilliant' 'a cut apart' etc is just that. Yes there are some really good ones, but you will find ppl of every level here. some who will even make one wonder how they got hired.
    pto, team outings etc. at times trumps work ethics and project deadlines
    There's always some noise or the other about appraisal process - work in progress..

The place to be to change the world though technology

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is focused on being at the top of their game.
    - Huge focus on social impact, making a difference in society.
    - Though they are a decent size company ~3K employees globally. It keeps a solid culture of sharing, autonomy, support and growth. You can show up at any ThoughtWorks office as an employee and be welcomed in as if you were friends for years.
    - There is always something new to learn everyday. Not just work related.

Cons

Not sure if this is a con but can be viewed this way. Every person that works at ThoughtWorks is opinionated, but if you use their opinions as what they are, an opinion/view then you can get a broader perspective of a topic.

11. Great Company

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at ThoughtWorks

Pros

Smart people, working together to get things done.

Cons

Too many projects to get involved in