ThoughtWorks

ThoughtWorks Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao

Guo Xiao

Pros:
  • "It still employs the highest density of smart people in the industry that I've ever seen"
    in 32 reviews
  • "you can learn a lot, projects are vary"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "At ThoughtWorks, you might need to do lot of travel as an Agile coach or consultant"
    in 15 reviews
  • "You do not go to TW for work/life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Awesome!

Senior Developer (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

ProsGreat colleagues. A lot of growth if you can sustain the travel. If you like challenges, this is the place to be.

ConsWork life balance can be difficult to maintain. Might feel isolated from the home office if you don't visit the TW office regularly.

Good environment and people

I worked at ThoughtWorks

Prosinformation sharing through pairing , no dependency on a single person, continuous learning

Conswork-environment is very chaotic sometimes, other people activities can disturb your work style

Loved working with lights-out brilliant people. Great place to spend a year; TW on your resume is a great door opener.

Principal Consultant (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 8 years

ProsYou'll learn alot - about technology, about yourself, about people.You'll learn at an incredible rate - mostly due to the smart people who will surround you. Of course - that will depend on the projects on which you get slapped.

ThoughtWorks' approach to agile is better than that of any other company I've seen.

When you travel, you're often with at least several others who are also traveling. Offers opportunities to socialize with colleagues in strange cities.

Most ThoughtWorkers don't like Scrum. They prefer XP. This is good. Agile engineering practices are vital to successful implementation of agile. You'll learn this.

ConsTravel can be onerous for those who want to maintain their personal relationships where they live (e.g. spouses, kids, friends).

You don't often get a choice in where you end up. Fort Lauderdale in the winter? Great. New Hampshire? Not so much. You'll hear that you have a say in where you go, but you often don't have much of a choice at all.

Flat hierarchy sounds nice, but can impart a significant political toll on your career. I know at least a dozen excellent folks who have been fired for various reasons - political, scapegoats for projects, folks not willing to violate their own sense of integrity to push company objectives that were incongruent with their values. Decide whether to fly under the radar, or challenge the radar itself. I know many current TWorkers who chose the former. I know ex-TWorkers who chose the latter.

Politically, conservative views are poison here. There's a contingent there who thinks that Venezuela - under Chavez - was the model government. The predominant view is for bigger government. Contrary to the claim that dissenting/challenging views are accepted at the company, I've seen such expressions emit firestorms and tank careers. One very high level leader oscillates between saying he's a communist and that he's a socialist. If you're aligned with this - no problem. If not, consider staying under the radar with your views.

Bill your hours to the client, then do your ThoughtWorks work. Expenses. Interviewing. Booking travel. Code Reviews for candidates. Working on RFP's. You get the picture. Be sure that you continue to bill your 40 hours though. Bill 60 hours on a project week after week? Not even an attagirl.

Another integrity issue: SVIP.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate the political favoritism. Provide some leadership training to those who are running the offices. TW mantra is "Attitude, Aptitude, and Integrity". Rate yourselves on these dimensions. Have a retrospective on it. Ask employees - anonymously - where they see a dearth

Changed my outlook towards professional life

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time

ProsPassionate people
Lots of freedom
Challenging work

ConsCompensation not the best
Senior to junior ration is slightly off

Awesome company to work for!!

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat culture, very smart people, lots to learn and share, highly collaborative

ConsToo much cronyism and politics at the management level

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of cronyism and politics

ThoughtWorks is great in so many ways, but the lifestyle is draining.

Principal Consultant (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

ConsTravel
Work / Life Balance
Developer Centric

Wolf in sheep's clothing

I have been working at ThoughtWorks

ProsSome colleagues really are gems and have the potential to become lifetime friends. Though such people are few and far between.

The developer community is robust, but soon losing its sheen. The company has good infrastructure in place and some of the projects are really worth it. The rest of the projects are common web applications and nothing to boast about.

The Social Impact Program is a really good initiative, but it needs to be protected from the political pressures that it faces.

The global south initiative is a step in the right direction, but this needs a lot more focus and effort.

Studios does have some good talent, but needs a clearer vision. There is potential in there. Just needs some nurturing and TLC.

ConsThe Chariman has lost his mind. His insults and fascist thinking has resulted in a spate of unfortunate resignations. Only the cronies are left behind who will bend over backwards any time.

Lots of big mouths, especially amongst the old guard. This bunch is all about self praise and arrogance. Only the idealistic grads are falling for this charade, while laterals are able to see through the faff.

The biggest negative has been the unethical HR function. From blatantly misusing the work from home policy to showing favoritism, HR is as manipulative as you can get. Feedback is completely driven by perception. Career paths are non-existent for 99% of the employees and only the select few are allowed to grow.

The overall atmosphere is chaotic and employee morale is dangerously low. Attrition levels are high.

Advice to Senior ManagementOff late there has been a spurt of fake positive reviews on Glassdoor. This is an attempt to hide the truth about whats happening in TW India. So the advice to the management is to talk to some of the senior lateral hires and you get to know what the truth is.

A good place to stop by

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome really good and talented individuals. I enjoyed my first few years, got to learn a lot. No micromanagement, still one of the better places to work in India.

ConsThis company is run by the chairman and his loyal minions. While the company talks about diversity and equality, it often does not stay true to it values. And regarding growth opportunities, it all depends on 'who you are' and 'how loud you are' and not 'how good you are'.

New hires are often looked with suspicion. In most office conversations, the 'old timers' reference comes up often suggesting that the longer you stay, more say you have in the company.

The biggest concern i had was the increasing level of intolerance among some of the loud mouths. There seems to be no concept of 'agree to disagree'. The company also lacks leadership and is always experimenting. The products division is poorly run and often people are let go due to poor management decisions.

HR practices are almost absent / useless.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain and promote the right people.

Software Consultant

Software Consultant (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros1. Smart but biased people.
2. Open and bright office.
3. A lot of so-called "social justice" stuff going on.
4. Connect you with celebrities.

Cons1. Not that much personal growth.
2. Very underpaid all the time.
3. Dogmatic and Brain-washed about agile.
4. Boring projects. Stressful delivery tasks.
5. A lot of timesheet and expenses stuff.
6. The human support isn't really supportive.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating people as items.

Dismal

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time

ProsLooks good on a resume

ConsAdministration runs things like amateurs and is generally retributive and unrprofessional

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like children

Worked for ThoughtWorks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ThoughtWorks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ThoughtWorks CEO Guo Xiao. All 252 reviews posted anonymously by ThoughtWorks employees.