ThoughtWorks Reviews

Reset
3.8
ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao

Pros
  • Very smart people, very diverse (in 39 reviews)

• Good work life balance (sometimes depends on the client too) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can often be a sacrifice if you wish to grow (in 15 reviews)

• The problem is you often don't get to choose, which can result in a lot of travel as well (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

An excellent place to get quality experience fast - real fast

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

a lot of interesting projects plenty of smart people to learn from opportunity to get international experience Agile powerhouse tons of fun

Cons

travel can get pretty intense generally comp is OK can get pretty political at times career paths for aspiring to become senior folks are unclear

Advice to Management

Figure out how to build a strong career development paths for talented employees - you have plenty to pick from

2. Great place to be in

Current Employee - Senior QA Consultant in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Senior QA Consultant in Chennai (India)

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, Good amount of chance to work in latest technologies (though you wont get it every time), pretty good work life balance.

Cons

Some times you feel like not having a proper career path

3. An awesome place to work for if you don't mind the travel!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ThoughtWorks

Pros

+ Great network of people to connect to and learn from. + Very interesting line of work (depending on the consulting gig you're assigned to). + Very flexible work environment. If you're traveling all your needs are cared for. + Not a company that boasts about benefits but Thoughtworks is great when it comes to taking care of it's employees. + The ability to explore your capabilities, there's lots of room for cross functional growth.

Cons

- Travel (of course it's consulting) and time away from family. But they're rather understanding when it comes to priority. - Salaries may not be so competitive but the rewards are in having a life experience you can't put a value on. Like, travelling to exotic places, getting involved with NGO's to promote equality in society. - Sometimes you have to travel to places like Slough and Leeds!

Just another IT company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to learn about Agile

Cons

Just another services company. No clear path for career growth, opportunities and no clarity on promotions, etc. India office is just a back-office with most decisions made in US office.

Advice to Management

Need to be more inclusive - respect other's political views

Application Developer

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Delhi (India)

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work on cutting edge technologies. Good for developers to experience working in different domains with different clients.

Cons

Do not allow migration to another work location. Bad attrition rate. People and Culture are not any more an exciting factor. Not many intellectual folks remaining in small offices.

Bad place for UX designers

Former Employee - User Experience Analyst in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - User Experience Analyst in Pune (India)

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has beautiful outlook of really cool startup with all groovy interiors. But in reality, Its just like any software service company, struggling with business and finding its own identity. It is living on past glory and current politics. Once upon a time, these were the pioneers who wrote libraries of core java, defined what Agile meant. But it failed to sustain that culture of being leader. There are few good people to get insight from. But lately, most of them just became anarchist. Less business and more of this leftist activist thing for social cause. Both of them are failing miserably for basic reasons, like honesty and integrity.

Cons

As far as UX is concerned, since company itself is dealing with new methodologies of "Agile", the UX needs to align to it. Unfortunately, UX leadership comes with no formal background of design. A. It doesn't clearly understand the difference between BA and UX. B. The interview process for UX is extremely weird. One has to go through some logic test and later a role playing kind-a QA. Its absolutely unclear what UX leadership is expecting from designer. Its neither design question nor a design process questions. There is sense of insecurity in UX leadership, which shows up as they defend their views at work. The process and structure for UX is not undefined. Advise for management: Specially for Thoughtworks, UX is key enabler to fetch/retain projects. Consider investing/changing UX leadership (at least for Pune, other Bangalore/Noida teams seem decently good)

Advice to Management

For UX: A. Get educated senior designers, who will understand thoughtworks and develop a blue print of UX Process for ThoughtWorks. B. Design is not magic or impulsive creativity. It is scientific process, backed up by empirical data.

8. One employer I regret quitting

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at ThoughtWorks (Less than a year)

Pros

Of all the places that I have worked, this is one company I think I quit too soon. Really motivated intelligent colleagues and respect for everybody. If you get a job here take it. Many times I thought I should go back and join them but life took me in a different direction.

Cons

nothing I found in my short term there

9. Great company, you will learn a lot

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

Smart people who are very passionate about software delivery. You will learn things at ThoughtWorks that are going to help you for the rest of your career.

Cons

You will always be able to make more money working elsewhere. I often thought of my job as perfect with one exception ... money.

Advice to Management

For the most part they should keep doing what they are doing. When I worked there though, it didn't seem as though there was a good career path for engineers who were financially motivated.

10. Interview

I have been working at ThoughtWorks

Pros

Cool work culture , nice work environment, cool employees, flat culture. Projects are good, lots of variation in the tech stack to improve.

Cons

Try to find any but cant... Its all good about the work place to be and to work.But it can be a little more process oriented atleast in certain areas.

Advice to Management

Nothing much to say about that.Please increase the visibility in a few things at least.

11. Excellent place to learn and grow especially for software engineers fresh of out college.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- You get to work with and learn from very smart people. - Excellent work culture. Thoughtworkers work hard and then have fun harder. - You get to travel a lot if you don't mind traveling.

Cons

- Thoughtworks is full of very out going and opinionated people. So sometimes it's hard to get appreciation for your work if you are an introvert or don't make a lot of noise. - You are not paid for over-time but are expected to consistently bill more than 40 hours.

Advice to Management

- The biggest issue I have had is that you are expected to come into the Thoughtworks office if you are back home on Friday even when doing 4x10 at the client. I don't think they should expect people to come in on Fridays if they have already billed 40 hours and are also traveling to the client site.

RSS Feed </> Embed