Thoughtful Media Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jak Severson

A great job for me.

ProsI never get bored at this job. I have had several jobs out of college. But this is the first one where I see my career path, even if it takes me a while to get promoted here. You have to be willing to try hard here to get ahead. But it seems that every good idea gets taken seriously and that everyone is asked to give theirs. Even when my ideas are shot down in meetings, I was fetching Starbucks at my last job and printing outlines. People weren't interested in my thoughts until I got here. Maybe I'm imagining it. But at least I feel like I am making progress.

ConsThere's a lot of competition for attention and a lot of pressure to get promoted. So you really have to raise your hand and propose good ideas all the time. They make you think through problems before they let you act on solutions and sometimes that's harder than it looks. This is probably a positive thing. But sometimes it feels like a lot of pressure.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time in LA. I love the meetings and the chance to share my ideas. I have good ideas, but only the top management ever asks me about them.

Happy Happy Happy

Intern (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsFast learning, fast-paced, energy everywhere. Everybody's ideas are invited. Promoted quickly.

ConsGot kind of crowded fast. But company added better seating to make more room.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome staff take advantage of the boss's open door policy and ask him to resolve issues.

This is a fun place to work where effort is rewarded quickly

Prosfun environment
    growing quickly
    exposure to many cultures around the world
    global focus
    working with big advertisers and agencies
    playing in the big leagues

Conslong hours because of multiple offices
    Sometimes a lot of people on the phones can be noisy
    LA traffic!
    easy to get caught up in the amount of work to do each day.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more cautious about promoting people. Some aren't ready for the challenges given.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I loved it at Thoughtful

Recruitment (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsREALLY nice people to work with
    Smart work with daily results
    i learned alot very quickly
    i was able to integrate into big campaigns
    i felt important to the success of the mission
    unusually good access to mentorship

Consi could only stay a short time. i would prefer to stay on if it was possible. even for less money.

Advice to Senior Managementfind some way to offer long stay work visas to those of us who learned so much

Very inconsistent and unstable work environment.

Sherman Oaks, CA

ProsOverall the employees there are great, very responsible, and reliable. The hours are awesome, but no one in the office is sure what they are. (9am?-6pm?) Business casual dress, which is nice, garage parking, and a lot of restaurants nearby.

ConsThe salary isn't ideal, for the workload they give you. If you can actually get promoted then they will try to force you to quit by docking your pay for unspecified expectations, and they'll hire someone else with your same title, pay them less, and slowly take your tasks away from you. This was the case with several people in the office, it became a running joke that if you got promoted, there would be a target on your back. Overall, just not a consistent reliable workload. Your job felt in jeopardy daily, and everyone would joke that any given day the doors could be locked up for good, without any notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to upper management is to value the people who are loyal to you, finding competent, responsible people isn't easy, so you should make more of an effort to keep them around. The staff consists mostly of interns on an hourly rate, the longest full time employee has less than a year with the company. This company could be great, but will continue to struggle if they don't value their employees more.

Best growing and learning experience ever!

Producer (Current Employee)
    Sherman Oaks, CA

ProsI began as a Coordintaor at TMG and worked my way to be one of the leaders of a major business division.

-Opportunity to get your feet wet in all facets of the business
    -Leading projects within your field of interest
    -Growing as a leader
    -Great relationships with management and all departments
    -Happy hour
    -Pizza Parties

Cons-At times a little too nice to employees who are not cutting it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Invest in great workers, and let the ones who aren't doing their jobs go.

Limited Growth Opportunities

Social Media Intern (Former Employee)
    Van Nuys, CA

ProsFlexibility in schedule
    Ability to work with social media

ConsContinual hiring process for interns even when position is filled
    No accountability by management
    Lack of interaction between management and interns
    Meaningless research that is menial and extremely routine
    Limited abilities to grow given that the number of interns nearly matches the number of management employees
    No worth the pay for level of work done depending on distance you live from company.

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct followups with interns to ensure work quality matches.
    Develop a marketing plan that stays consistent with
    Create meaningful marketing strategies that reach a mass of people and not simply a small segment.

Great place to work. TMG gives many opportunities to their interns to grow and prove themselves.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat supervisor who was in charge of the intern program

ConsI was happy with my overall experience. No cons

Very positive experience at this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone at the company is focused on the same goals and is very motivated

ConsIt is a small work environment so everyone in the office is able to collaborate

Cutting Edge Company

ProsEveryone is encouraged to grow. Every day I learn something I didn't know before. I used to think I understood social media until I got here.

ConsI'd like to be promoted soon. I know more than some of the new people who have better jobs than me here.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook internally, not externally for new hires. Those of us who came before are really strong in what we know and what we do.

Worked for Thoughtful Media Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Thoughtful Media Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Thoughtful Media Group CEO Jak Severson. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Thoughtful Media Group employees.