ThreatTrack Security

Updated Apr 24, 2014

Julian Waits

In transition...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsAlthough the past year at the company has been rough (as many have pointed out), I feel that the company is starting to turn a corner and find its own identity. You can tell that Julian really cares about the company and the people who work here.

AND of course...covered parking is a plus, as well as our fantastic view of the beach! All joking aside though, we do have a lot of very talented people here who want to succeed. I do learn something new everyday. We have a relaxed-ish environment with minimal micromanaging (at least in my department, I cant speak for all). Having worked in some stuffy corporate environments in the past, its also nice to wear jeans to work :)

ConsWe need some morale boosting, that's for sure.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have an odd mix of start up mentality and legacy employees left over from the prior companies (GFI and Sunbelt Software). Everyone has an idea of how the company should be run, and nobody is on the same page about it. This proves to be a challenge for management and the executive team.

Julian is a strong and viable leader, but morale has dipped.

ProsFree parking.

Close to Starbucks.

Great CEO.

The CEO, Julian Waits, is a very charismatic and charming people person. He claims he loves his employees, and treats them like family, and it shows. He is known for being direct and clear, and expects the same from his employees. If he needs to say something, rest assured he will say it. This also means that he is very transparent and will not leave you wondering. If he makes a promise, he keeps it.

He also has a wonderful sense of humor, has no trouble peppering a conversation with from the heart (but "HR-unfriendly") words into a conversation, and seems to be a very intelligent, honest fellow. He is certainly at times the glue that holds this company together. I trust him and respect him. It's hard not to, I think -- but apparently not everyone feels that way.

ConsCompany culture does not exist. This is a steady paycheck, but there is practically zero employee interaction other than meetings. Too much is expected of each employee due to layoffs and departures of other employees. We are not hiring enough people to allow employee growth or a desire to interact with each other after hours.

Change is very, very slow to occur here. Suggestions on revamping certain processes have fallen on deaf ears enough that people seem to have stopped trying. Lately, we've had a surge of departures as employees find more promising jobs.

I believe there's a general consensus that HR has done a poor job of engaging employees for any extracurricular events.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps if Julian spent just a few minutes a day making the rounds and saying hello to employees -- engaging them on what they were working on, I feel like his positive energy could foster better morale. Either way, he might gain a better insight as to why morale has dropped in the last year. We have a great bunch of folks here, but we are disjointed and uncommunicative.

Was a great company to work for, and then the acquisition happened

QA Engineer (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsThere aren't any good reasons to work at Threattrack anymore. Wait - covered parking.

ConsCompany is pretty much done. All the talent and knowledgeable management was driven out and replaced by friends and favorites of the CEO. A couple rounds of layoffs and attrition have wiped out about 50% of the headcount. Infrastructure and quality are suffering greatly as they are desperately seeking to fill a few key positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementA few things: 1) Don't drive out your talent. 2) Don't preach full transparency to your employees and not stick to it. 3) Don't keep promising a pipe-dream product.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people but bad management

IT Staff (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsThe people who work there are nice

ConsThe company is not stable, lay offs happen all the time. It is only a matter of time before this company closes up shop for good. Also they have bad benefits such as health insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to cut corners by laying off your valuable staff members but instead stop the ludicrous overspending done by members of Management. I certainly did not ask to stay at a fancy hotel and then get back to find half of my coworkers being laid off a couple of weeks later.

Company Culture Got Destroyed by Acquisition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome very bright engineers and individuals for a Florida location. Very relaxed environment without too much micro-managing.

ConsAbsolutely no bonus structures defined. Most long-time employees got screwed with their Stock Options with some clever management maneuvers. Company has lost focus in their core product, and is trying to play catch-up with other bigger players in the security industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus one one core thing, and value more your existing Clearwater Based employees over your overpaid, over-hyped Reston, VA engineers.

Overall a good working environment, but uncertain future.

Inside Sales (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsGreat AV products. Loyal customer base.

ConsUncertain Future
    Unmet product release goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that the products actually exist before flaunting the ideas in from of your competition.

Interesting work but no clear vision

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsWork is quite interesting - security software touching all aspects of technology
    Relaxed work atmosphere (at least in my division)
    New CEO seems to be quite driven

Constoo many middle managers with wild titles
    too much change in recent years
    no clear vision for us (it keeps changing every few quarters)
    don't feel like we're working towards a goal anymore

Advice to Senior ManagementStrip down the middle management, remove unnecessary posts, properly utilize the technology talent before they leave

Where is this clear vision you speak of?

Sales (Former Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsThere is a 20 word minimum that must be entered here. Truly, after looking at everything I cannot find any pros with this company.

ConsToo many people in "middle management", three managers to supervise a total of 20 people. Many workers there who do not add value to the company but are manager's favorite. No type of structure nor teamwork to a common goal. Lots of red tape to get anything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementC-level you need to cut down on middle management. Place management where there is a fit and not because you play golf or watch baseball games with them.

Excited to be part of this company that is changing the industry!

Marketing (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsEmployees are empowered to make decisions. Management really listens to feedback and is able to pinpoint and correct issues quickly. Overall team atmosphere and a company with vision.

ConsThis is a high production environment. If you aren't a hard worker, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the team focus. Together we can do great things.

Worked for ThreatTrack Security? Contribute to the Community!