ThredUP

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014
3.1

CEO

Very smart people, interesting business model, positive growth ahead

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThredUP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a startup with a unique and rapidly changing business model where creative thinking is encouraged. I like being able to work with an eclectic mix of people with backgrounds in engineering, data analytics, consulting, e-commerce, and retail. Coworkers come from companies such as Google, Orbitz, Virgin Atlantic, and Netflix. I have encountered very interesting and fascinating business and technical problems that I have not experienced working anywhere else.

Work from Home Wednesdays - Mostly for the software engineers and corporate employees. This does not apply to distribution center workers and some employees

Free lunch Thursdays - definitely a perk. Catered food that has been great thus far.

Laptop reimbursement - up to a fixed amount. Most people get MacBooks

Good snack selection in the downtown SF office. Ok selection at the distribution center

No vacation policy - accrue vacation days but can take vacation whenever you want. Days are not fixed. Awesome!

Mentorship and training have been great so far. My manager is extremely accessible and knowledgeable. Overall everyone is very helpful and friendly.

Cons

Pay is not the greatest but we do get stock options for if and when the company goes public

No 401k match presently.

Work conditions can be challenging and stressful for distribution center employees who have quotas

Can feel a bit lonely at times if you are not on the engineering team. I'm sure this will change as we grow and hire more people

401k match! Better snack selection for DC office

Worst job ever

Current Employee - Merchant in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Merchant in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at ThredUP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the work there is very easy if you stay at a steady pace you will get your work done with a great job

Cons

People tell on you about eVerything..they don't care about their employees

Focus more on those who are doing well within the company do not accuse people of something they didn't do

Misleading employment

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in San Leandro, CA

I worked at ThredUP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers to work with. I liked that the people were positive and there seemed to be a great vibe.

Cons

Not very much training. I was trained to pick for 2 days and then expected to meet they're extreme goals which wouldn't happen within the small amount of time I started working there. When I was not able to meet they're expectations I was treated differently. They don't seem to care about the employees and how the employees might be suffering physically when trying to meet a 50min goal with 100 items.

Change your system its not working and your treating your employees like crap!! They are worth more then just numbers. Some of them are suffering physically because of your crazy time limit on picking orders. I hope your company does change because at this rate you will never have a committed force of employees who want to stay and work under these unacceptable conditions.

Smart people, huge growth, tons of opportunity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThredUP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work-life balance, flat hierarchy, as much responsibility as you want. Everyone works hard so there is no need for face time - everyone has skin in the game.

Cons

startups are inherently frenetic and constantly changing. It takes a while to get your bearing, and sometimes the lack of steering can be frustrating

Keep hiring the best fit. Passion for this business goes such a long way.

Fun, but stressful

Current Employee - DC Worker in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - DC Worker in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at ThredUP full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are friendly, the benefits are cool, company lunches, cool discounts on the site. Overall its a fun enviornment

Cons

Very number oriented, it seems hard to be able to advance in the company but its doable, sometimes it seems very high school because of the workers

Each worker (outbound, inbound, office, etc) should be sort trained. After they've learned the racks (picking/racking) they should be sort trained in order to end all confusion about Q2 standards

Laying on a bed of needles

Current Employee - Packer in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Packer in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at ThredUP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the 30 percent discount on the clothes I buy at Thredup

Cons

Staff is all over the place, in everyone's business. They spread hurtful rumors along with Management. It's a start up all right. We have a lot of missing items, the customer just don't know it. Staff is either stealing or miss handling the items, because daily I have to tell a customer that the item they want is unavailable, when it's really missing.

Stop using your staff to do your bidding. Manage your staff yourself, so employees wont have to snitch just because they don't like that person or is jealous. Your staff will snitch over being jealous, but not if a unsafe situation arise. Where do you think the word POSTAL came from?

Lackluster employee experience

Former Employee - Distribution Associate in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - Distribution Associate in San Leandro, CA

I worked at ThredUP part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ideal part-time job for post high school or young college students that are starting off in the workforce. Flexible work hours (warehouse is rarely open Saturdays and is closed on Sundays), employee appreciation days, company meetings, picnics, etc.

Cons

This is a start-up company that has been in existence for around 4 years, so job security as well as company stability may be questionable. Most mature and seasoned work-force individuals may quickly discover that this job is unsuited for their qualifications; inadequate training provided to new employees; opportunities for advancement are non-existent; unrealistic expectations to meet production quotas; warehouse supervisors are inconsiderate, uninterested in properly developing new employees and are unwilling to offer constructive feedback.

You should provide better tools and resources to properly train your new employees, otherwise, you cannot automatically expect them to perform as efficient as your seasoned employees. Also, during the interview process, You should not discourage your candidates by telling them that former new employees have either quit or have been "let go" because the job (to those individuals) did not fullfill their expectations. Do not give your candidates insight concerning your company's lack of identity (whether your company fits-in as retail or if it is a warehouse business)-This is irrelavent and will only discourage potential candidates from wanting to work for your company. Finally, for the job requirements, the starting pay can be better than the $10.00 per hour that you offer. For those who have been around to remember "Webvan" back in the late 90's to early 2000's; The concept was innovative, however, the company grew too fast for it's own good and eventually went out of business.

Great company culture and awesome people.

Current Employee - Chief Technology Officer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Technology Officer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThredUP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, exciting, hard working development culture. Challenging problems. Smart people. Freedom to design your own solutions without someone over the shoulder coding.

Cons

Not a place for relaxed 9-5 work. Everyone is dedicated and expects the same from you.

A Growing Company

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in San Leandro, CA

I worked at ThredUP part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A growing start up with plenty of opportunities to "jump in" where needed. A great concept (consigning new and lightly-used children's clothes online) whose time has certainly come. Management certainly keeps pushing the scale and efficiency of the business forward.

Cons

Like all start ups, ThredUp has experienced growing pains. The company has changed its core business twice since inception, and the most recent transition from a clothing exchange to clothing consignment site still brings the company bad press from disgruntled customers.

Keep the focus on efficiency and don't wait to scale up.

Decent place to be..but not forever!

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at ThredUP part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, reasonable pay for the amount of work.

Cons

Repetitive job, not much to enjoy at work.

Make the environment more lively, train the workers better, stop using numbers to push them, and pay them more...they're the reason you have a business.