Three

Updated December 11, 2014
4.0

Three CEO David Dyson
David Dyson

Pros
  • It's like going to work within your extended family, a laugh, a giggle, a fun working environment (in 12 reviews)

• What's great, is that you can make a difference if you are a go getter (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Fast paced environment can lead to chaos at times (in 5 reviews)

• The pace of change and reprioritisation is sometimes exhausting (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Refreshing, Bold, Dynamic, Forward Thinking

Current Employee - Customer Service in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Inventive, Challenger Mentality, Bold, Not Afraid To Upset The Apple Cart, Innovative, Forward Thinking, Ambitious, Collaborative, Honest, Truly Puts The Customer At Heart, Rewards Staff With The 'Little Things That Matter'

Cons

Holiday entitlement is much less than other companies I have worked for

Keep doing what we are doing, I believe we can be number one provider in the UK. Dave Dyson is the best CEO I have experienced, I trust him completely. Customer Service is a great place to work, Rocky is brilliant!

Informal and friendly atmosphere, but a bit unstructured

Current Employee - Marketing in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

An informal and friendly atmosphere, with a stated dedication to employee happiness.
    Overall employees are committed to getting things done and the company strategy is clear.
    As a result, its one of the better cultures I've worked in.

Cons

It can be a little unstructured at times and a positive outlook is often required.
    Resource can be limited, so everyone needs to muck in to get things done.

Stay committed to the 'happy employee' ethos and maintain the informal approach.

Used to be a great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people, some employees are really great people, creative, supportive and fun.
    Good work - life balance.

Cons

The new senior management in head office have imposed new strict processes which have alienated the majority of employees. Too many reorganisations (threatened and then carried out) are putting employees in a constant state of fear of losing their job.
    Senior management calibration at yearly reviews is a joke as most employees end up getting a low grade which negatively impact their bonus and salary increase. If you ask 100 employees 99 percent will agree with this.
    The same people in sales keep getting promoted and many others are overlooked.

Please stop threatening reorganisations because you affect everyone's mood and productivity.
    Please stop reducing people bonuses with the calibration, it simply doesn't work and makes employees unhappy.

Internal progression great but don't expect to be paid for it

Former Employee - Marketing Executive in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Executive in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I worked at Three full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They offer many opportunities to progress your career internally. Its a fast paced and exciting environment. Three being the smaller of the UK mobile networks has a strong challenger business model, bold and disruptive in the industry. Great place if you are a bit of a rebel at heart and enjoying doing things differently.

Cons

You can progress your career with a move to another role, sadly you wont receive a financial uplift for it.
    Too much office politics for a company of this size. Summer 2014 a big restructure undertaken, many redundancies. Some decisions driven by internal politics than business requirements.
    Never got the impression the business cared about its people. HR was weak to non-existent. Left to the mercy of your line manager.

You work hard, but have fun doing it!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I worked at Three full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's like working in a family, everyone works closely to achieve company objectives. It's got a very laid back but focused culture, doing some bold things to get noticed in the market place. I have every faith in the senior management team and the events they hold such as open bar once a month are a great insight into how the company is performing. I'd quite like to go back to Three one day.

Cons

Sometimes there wasn't enough focus on the long term and making difficult decisions that would come to fruition in 3-5 years time. Having left, I've realised that salaries need to increase to align with the other operators though and from an activity point of view it was often all about the here and now rather than the future. Having said that, everything at Three moves so quickly and it was an exciting place to work.

Better reward your existing hard working and effective staff with more development and promotion opportunities. Don't change your culture - it's what kept me there all those years and I loved it.

Work hard - play hard!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A fast paced, dynamic company with lots of energy and opportunities for people to make a difference! Expect to work hard (this isn't a pipe and slippers place!) and get rewarded for your effort. We also like to play hard and the people are really friendly, good fun and supportive.

Cons

It's like Marmite - you're either a 'Three person' - get it and love it or you don't.

Keep listening to our people! :)

Never a dull moment but can be frustrating

Current Employee - ICT in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - ICT in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management focus and desire on Employee engagement and to improve the mobile industry in the UK for the benefit of the consumer (evidenced by things like Feel at Home)
    Culture is friendly and majority of people are very helpful
    High performers are acknowledged and rewarded
    Communications are good - open bars and company roadshows are some of the best I've experienced
    Doesn't always feel like a big company (but this has draw backs too)

Cons

Middle management can be weak in some departments (in many cases loyalty has been rewarded over capability leaving some out of their depth)
    Desire on employee engagement doesn't always translate into reality
    Lack of decision making, governance and clear processes often for even basic things
    Three was set up very quickly (and was cost focussed for a long period) and is now suffering from growing pains in places
    Management team somewhat disconnected from the reality (make claims about customer service and network performance that are aspirational rather than reality)
    Re invent the wheel a lot (every project I work on seems to create/follow a different process) rather than focussing on the key value
    Undercurrent of working for the mega corporation that is HWL in Hong Kong means that in many cases decisions aren't made (and budgets set/agreed) in the UK but at arms length overseas.
    Maidenhead office has some issues with basic facilities (sadly you often have to go around half of the building to find a working toilet and car parking is limited to long serving staff)

Focus on ensuring the understanding and simplicity / repeatability of processes / governance. "Re-invent the rules" can be interpreted to mean I can do anything I like internally which causes friction.
    Seriously review middle manager performance and alignment with the target culture of Three as who you work for has a large bearing on employee engagement
    Clarify roles and responsibility of teams - there are overlaps between CTO, CIO and Online that need to be cleared up to make people more productive and spending less time on politics
    Be more pragmatic about Capex/Opex - in many cases spending Opex on things like IT would be better for the business but this is often very hard to get across the line
    Make it clear when statements are aspirational as a quick look at social media trends (and personal use of the network particularly in congested / rural areas) will reveal that customer feeling doesn't align with internal messaging

Three recognise and reward high achievers

I have been working at Three full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've worked for Three for just over a year and have already been given more responsibility in a secondment. It's great to be given the opportunity to broaden my skill set and subsequently progress my career at Three.

The salary and benefits are in line with, if not slightly better than market rate in my opinion.

The culture here is very relaxed and informal. Most people are approachable and friendly and open communication/collaboration is encouraged. There are often social events in the café and around the building such as barbecues, quizzes, bake sales, raffles and "open bar". There are also regular face to face updates from the Senior Management Team regarding the company's progress, upcoming launches and achievements. Three acknowledge that they are only as good as their people and this is evident in the culture that has been created.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that as Three are still a young company and are still evolving when it comes to process and direction, there can sometimes be " ambiguity" when it comes to decision making and getting things done. You have to be the type of person that can see the bigger picture and be adaptable to change, if you want to be successful at Three.

Keep doing what you're doing and stay close to your people, it is appreciated and is a huge motivation towards getting staff behind the company and brand.

My 13 months to date at Three (joined July 2013)

I have been working at Three full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Always lots going on (which can mean new opportunities or roles). Very friendly and warm culture, the board are very engaged with staff and approachable. We have clear values/behaviours that are simple to understand. Rewards entrepreneurial minded people as your successes are celebrated and recognised. You can easily see the impact of what you've done at Three.

Cons

Significant amounts of change and relative lack of process (compared to more mature corporate firms) at times can make it quite chaotic. Some people will like this and can manage it, but it's not for everyone. You need to be self starter and go-getter to make things happen at Three. Especially if you're coming in to a new role you will be rewarded if you are proactive in your approach. Our brand messages and internal values have been quite mixed and continually changing but we're now settling on a more consistent message (still some work to do). We could definitely plan better as a company and try to take a better longer term view to decisions (to make the amount of change needed less moving forward).

We could celebrate successes and internal promotions/moves a bit more. I feel we need stronger and less collaborative decision making at times to ensure we are focusing on a smaller number of impact-full activities. Keep doing what you do in engaging with staff as I think it's great and people warm to you because of it (and therefore buy-in to what we're trying to do in the market).

Live, breathe, be...Three!

Current Employee - Coordinator in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Three is a fantastic company to work for. You feel part of something special, a revolution or evolution perhaps in mobile. Regular open bars provide a platform for company updates that are both enjoyable and informative. The behaviours that Three staff live by are in line with the behaviours I live by outside of work so it's a great fit for me. A friendly chat with the CEO in the lift is not uncommon and everyone no matter what level is very approachable. What's great about Three is that you are encouraged to challenge the status quo. If you can do it better, take responsibility and do it! There's plenty of opportunity for self-promotion. The social life is pretty good too!

Cons

Too many meetings! At Three was have meetings about meetings! Also priorities can change here, very very fast. So something you may have as top of your priority list one day may sink to the bottom the next, it can be frustrating. Honestly though I haven't really got anything bad to say. I have found my home here.

It would be good to have more exposure to the inner workings of other departments so we can offer a more joined up approach to our customers. Also he benefits offered to staff could be better.