Three

Updated December 11, 2014
4.0

Three CEO David Dyson
David Dyson

Pros
  • It's like going to work within your extended family, a laugh, a giggle, a fun working environment (in 12 reviews)

• What's great, is that you can make a difference if you are a go getter (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Fast paced environment can lead to chaos at times (in 5 reviews)

• The pace of change and reprioritisation is sometimes exhausting (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Customer Focused Senior Management - Sales Focused Store Management

I have been working at Three full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good wage in comparison to other similar high street jobs (However I believe they are reviewing the current pay)
    Great benefits package where you can enrole in various schemes such as bike to work or alter your pension, you also have an opportunity to purchase a handset every 6 months at a discount price.

Customer focused products such as "Feel At Home" and "0800 free of charge" make the products very easy to sell,competitive pricing also helps. If you are good with people you should have no trouble flourishing in the role.

The opportunity to work in highly motivated driven team ( Your experience may vary )

If you love technology you will love the job, learning about the latest phones and gadgets on a daily basis

Great banter with employees (Except management) and I have made many friends being in the role

Great chance to develop you people and soft skills

Cons

When I first started with 3 around a year ago, it was a very hostile environment, immense amounts of pressure were put onto my shoulders even though i was new, little training was given and I was expected almost instantly to hit very high targets, if these targets were not met then you are given very little encouragement and are consistently put down as not good enough.

The store management I was placed into were very strict, if any mistakes were made however small you would be spoken to in a aggressive manner and your job would be threatened, you would be told "if you don't like it here, go and find another job" not exactly inspiring..... Thankfully the management style has slightly changed for the better and I have developed in my position and have progressed in my role, however the store has a culture of fear, the employees are scared to make mistakes, this level of fear has led to several staff leaving whilst I have been employed. Basically if you want to work in a 3 store the first piece of advice would be to develop a thick skin FAST.

I have consistently worked hours I haven't been paid for and have been denied my holiday entitlements, again the management will hold staff to ransom. "if you don't work like this then you can leave". And have been made to cover up attempts of deceit for the store manager against my own judgement.

I believe the bullying element comes from when 3 where solely focused on sales, they are now pushing towards customer satisfaction and therefore the bullying culture is slowly dissapearing, however it is still present.

Senior management - Fantastic job so far, your ideas and policies are easy to sell and I feel as though you are genuinely looking after your customers. However you need to focus more on your staff as well as we are the once delivering day in day out and really selling your ideas.

Store management - Need to let go of the "old days" where you missold hundreds of contracts to customers (a fact they are proud of). Welcome in new staff and try to genuinely care about there progression instead of your own bonuses every month. TIP if you treat your employees with respect they will work harder for your bonus!

You work hard, but have fun doing it!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I worked at Three full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's like working in a family, everyone works closely to achieve company objectives. It's got a very laid back but focused culture, doing some bold things to get noticed in the market place. I have every faith in the senior management team and the events they hold such as open bar once a month are a great insight into how the company is performing. I'd quite like to go back to Three one day.

Cons

Sometimes there wasn't enough focus on the long term and making difficult decisions that would come to fruition in 3-5 years time. Having left, I've realised that salaries need to increase to align with the other operators though and from an activity point of view it was often all about the here and now rather than the future. Having said that, everything at Three moves so quickly and it was an exciting place to work.

Better reward your existing hard working and effective staff with more development and promotion opportunities. Don't change your culture - it's what kept me there all those years and I loved it.

Work hard - play hard!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A fast paced, dynamic company with lots of energy and opportunities for people to make a difference! Expect to work hard (this isn't a pipe and slippers place!) and get rewarded for your effort. We also like to play hard and the people are really friendly, good fun and supportive.

Cons

It's like Marmite - you're either a 'Three person' - get it and love it or you don't.

Keep listening to our people! :)

Good fun and relaxed work environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chesterfield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chesterfield, England (UK)

I have been working at Three part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, better than average retail pay and excellent bonus scheme.

Cons

The phrase 'The left hand doesn't speak to the right'

Please take some time to actually listen to what the frontline staff are telling you rather than brushing it off.

Ever changing company where no two days are the same

Current Employee - Finance Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coming in to work everyday is something to look forward to. No two days are the same and there's always a buzz around the office. Everyone takes pride in what they do and support their peers.

At Three you're encouraged to have those open and honest conversations where you see something not working.

If you come in get your head down and get stuck in you're potential will be recognised and your career journey can really begin.

Cons

Because things move so fast it can sometimes be difficult to keep up. However, Three offer great training which can help with keeping up with the pace.

Continue to give regular updates at roadshows.
    Maybe spend some time working with the lower graded staff getting a bit of advice similar to a skip level but doing so by selecting employees at random rather than cherry picking where views can be influenced.

Ever changing, fast paced and exciting to work with a company at the forefront of our industry!

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

we have a laugh and do a good job, we are here to do the right thing for our customers and to build a relationship between them and our network, we are well taken care of, Three are loyal to you if you work hard - and lets not forget the trips are mind blowing!

Cons

The opportunities to move forward are not ideal and the changing of bonus and targets etc are always challenging but this is the nature of the beast

I would look at high performers consistency and wage/bonus rewards - dream team is good but can sometimes reward oeople for one or 2 good months selling a specific product - if you sell the most products its difficult to maintain a high mix to compete with someone selling half what you sell :)

Constant late wages, punished for asking for them, clueless management.

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Three full-time (less than an year)

Pros

At first Three does provide a fun and vibrant and exciting atmosphere to work in, with a great deal going into training staff.

Cons

- In my time there my wages were paid late and was not the right amount almost every month, one time i was paid 1 month and 3 weeks late and £400 less than what i should have got. When i challenged this with payroll directly, my manager sent me home.

- Sales staff are encouraged to take advantage of people and forced phone contracts their way by way of methods i would say are illegal. One of the reasons i left this company.

-Not all, but some team leaders are completely incompetent in their roles.

Leave your job

It's all downhill from here...

I have been working at Three full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, fairly easy going as long as targets are hit, casual, focus on customer service as well as sales.

Cons

Used to be a great company to work for, however pay has dropped significantly over the years and the outlook is that it's to continue. Lots of pressure from area management, a shut up and know your place attitude, lots of bullies, no contracts over 30 hours, unachievable targets.

Although you seem to care about the customer, you seem to have forgotten about your sales associates!

Good company to work for just needs improvements to make it better

Current Employee - Social Media in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Social Media in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good location, nice offices, enjoyable job, good team, good benefits

Cons

Salary isn't great to start off with as same type of job is paid higher with other companies, shifts are awful.

need better work life balance with shifts, more career progression opportunities, clearer ability to get higher salary, should consider part time staff.

Never a dull moment but can be frustrating

Current Employee - ICT in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - ICT in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management focus and desire on Employee engagement and to improve the mobile industry in the UK for the benefit of the consumer (evidenced by things like Feel at Home)
    Culture is friendly and majority of people are very helpful
    High performers are acknowledged and rewarded
    Communications are good - open bars and company roadshows are some of the best I've experienced
    Doesn't always feel like a big company (but this has draw backs too)

Cons

Middle management can be weak in some departments (in many cases loyalty has been rewarded over capability leaving some out of their depth)
    Desire on employee engagement doesn't always translate into reality
    Lack of decision making, governance and clear processes often for even basic things
    Three was set up very quickly (and was cost focussed for a long period) and is now suffering from growing pains in places
    Management team somewhat disconnected from the reality (make claims about customer service and network performance that are aspirational rather than reality)
    Re invent the wheel a lot (every project I work on seems to create/follow a different process) rather than focussing on the key value
    Undercurrent of working for the mega corporation that is HWL in Hong Kong means that in many cases decisions aren't made (and budgets set/agreed) in the UK but at arms length overseas.
    Maidenhead office has some issues with basic facilities (sadly you often have to go around half of the building to find a working toilet and car parking is limited to long serving staff)

Focus on ensuring the understanding and simplicity / repeatability of processes / governance. "Re-invent the rules" can be interpreted to mean I can do anything I like internally which causes friction.
    Seriously review middle manager performance and alignment with the target culture of Three as who you work for has a large bearing on employee engagement
    Clarify roles and responsibility of teams - there are overlaps between CTO, CIO and Online that need to be cleared up to make people more productive and spending less time on politics
    Be more pragmatic about Capex/Opex - in many cases spending Opex on things like IT would be better for the business but this is often very hard to get across the line
    Make it clear when statements are aspirational as a quick look at social media trends (and personal use of the network particularly in congested / rural areas) will reveal that customer feeling doesn't align with internal messaging