Three Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great company to work for

I have been working at Three full-time

Pros

Great culture within Three with minimum hierarchy. Great potential for progression.

Cons

Currently going through a lot of change as the company grows but seems to be managed well.

Used to be fantastic but not now

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Store staff are a lovely bunch and really do want to do well.

Cons

Full time is only 30hours so on a basic wage it is difficult to live on. Used to pay sales commission but this has since stopped and now monthly commission is based on hitting 100% of target rather than paid per unit, meaning 100% of target only now equates to approx £110 per month where as before it was £500+ they did put the basic up slightly but it still doesn't cover the deficit. Quartley bonus was based on Osat customer responses but not all customers get a survey but they count them when working out your attachment rate which you have to meet to get the bonus however there is always a difference between their reporting and what response tex actually gets and it's never in your favour so you have to rely on the few customers who get the surgery to respond and give you 9( highest score) but sometimes customers will take previous experiences with three out in the survey which means you could have given them amazing service but that one negative experience which you was never part of can hurt your bonus, sim swap fails etc customers all mark you down for but it wasn't actually your doing, they are changing this system AGAIn to NPS which is even harder to get a good score on as the question is worded as would they recommend three not you or your store but three as a company which is gonna make it even harder for us to get any kind of quarterly bonus which currently for me pays for luxuries such as decorating the house, paying for parking to get to work, having a nice house (I can no longer afford the property I am living in due to the changes so I am having to move) all this when three are making all time record profits but they keep telling us it's better for us? Really three? the systems are laughable - three all in all and non work with each other so you are constantly logging in to three systems for one transaction. The systems are so slow and outdated it actually embarrassing for us when serving customers epescially when we are selling the latest and greatest tech , system outages are common place with days and sometimes weekends with no system which means lost sales but this is never deducted off your target making these things a make or break situation for people to earn any bonus. The back up system they have is not fit for purpose. The senior management have inflicted this us and them type feeling among staff - they are out of touch with the real feelings of the staff, they say they have gained feedback but when you ask around who's feedback or how do we send it no one knows it's always a "who's feedback cos you haven't had mine" scene. Constant mixed messages, unrealistic targets especially around insurance which means they only way to achieve target is to bend the rules very close to mis-selling. If you don't achieve target you are badgered, put on courses to make you feel rubbish. They say it's all about service but daily we are faced with angry abusive customers who's issues could be resolved with common sense which Three seem to lack, customers with faulty handsets do not get given a loan phone to use while theirs is off for repair which they have to arrange (all about the service there isn't it?) customers hate the outsourced call centre as they have a scripted approach and cannot handle anything which is out of a tick box so these customers are sent to store for us to have to redirect back to customer services as we don't have the power or tools to help . Stores are told to only sell and get rid of any other customers who do not want to purchase. Customers are always being sold additional products they do not want or need as to area managers push and push for dual sales so you have to sell an upgrade/additional line and broadband all with insurance to one customers. Payg customers are turned away from stores as if you sell one manages want to know why you didn't just sell them a sim only yet the sim only for unlimited data is £2 per month more than. Payg with less minutes so you are encouraged to tell customers that deal is no longer about which is a lie. I think someone said the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing in one of these reviews and I'd say that pretty much sums three up well!

Advice to Management

Update the systems, actually follow through on this service led business - you can't just say we want to be the john Lewis of the mobile world but not doing anything but pay staff less it simply doesn't work like that, if you want true service led you need to put the staff on a good basic wage and don't focus purely on sales. Targets on insurance needs scrapping or lowering - a 40% attachment rate is asking for trouble. It's especially insulting to know the company is making so much more money and the staff are getting paid less - WE are the ones to sell you those contracts and gain those customers which makes the company money. Smaller stores sometimes get forgotten about in sales incentives and promotional things, include us we are just as good sales staff if not better than the big band 1s and we don't have the walk ins to rely on and we really have to work at it to hit our targets.

3. Good

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (More than a year)

Pros

head office are a pleasure to deal with, the company is also run very well.

Cons

Management within store are poor

Advice to Management

Understand how to help employees

5. Three is fun and exciting. I wake up every day looking forward to work. It pays well and there are awesome benifits

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bath, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bath, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, fast paced, a lot of support, they care a lot about us (the employees)

Cons

Shop only closes Christmas day however it doesn't matter as I'd gladly work boxing day or new years for such an awesome company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing as you're doing because its awesome!

6. Going Downhill

Current Employee - Operations Support Executive in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations Support Executive in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Three (More than 3 years)

Pros

I would not recommend Three as an employer.

Cons

The main reason is the callous and disrespectful way in which staff members are treated. The recent redundancy handling has been highlighted by other reviewers and I can only agree that it was done in a terrible manner. Communication from senior level is handled poorly. Hutchison recently decided to close their Outbound Telesales department. ALL local staff in Glasgow were aware of this decision due the IT department accidentally changing the email title of the Director of Outbound to his new job title prior to the announcement. When Senior Managers were asked about this mistake, staff were kept in the dark and lied to blatantly even though it was apparent to all that the change was coming. Three pay lip service to an 'employment engagement survey' which they conduct annually. In Glasgow, the lowest scoring areas amongst almost every department was 'communications' and this has been an issue in Glasgow for years. There is no on site comms team supporting Glasgow or ensuring that Glasgow employees are given the chance to receive and give any 2 way communications or feedback. Everything is decided at the Maidenhead offices and there is a real lack of focus on Glasgow staff. The environment within Telesales itself is terrible. Staff on the phones are constantly monitored and reported on daily. Absenteeism due to stress is extremely high and the turnover rate at which people leave the organisation means that there are constantly changing teams and staff members. The sales managers are extremely results orientated and are known as a 'coven' by other departments due to their negative attitude.

Advice to Management

Treat people better.

7. Three

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Three

Pros

Working at three is well remunerated and the contracted hours mean you have guaranteed income. They are flexible with holidays and are understanding if you are unable to come to work as a result of sickness which is a very good element of their corporate culture.

Cons

Too much focus on targets regarding money and not enough respect for customers getting the right product. Not enough help offered for customers because helping customers takes time out of potential sales which is not a good part of their corporate culture.

Advice to Management

Management should be more flexible when there are difficulties with staff and should be more instructive and less concerned with profits, targets and should embrace customer satisfaction more.

8. Woeful when it comes to anything other than "fluff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Three part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers - They make the job Central Location - Since the refurb it has been lovely

Cons

Currently restructuring and there are redundancies, but senior management are out of touch with reality given how poorly they have handled the whole process, lack of direction, people waiting for weeks to hear anything. The do not advertise wage structures which is a cart blanche to pay what they want regardless of what peers are paid. Random promotions to keep people happy. Friends help friends get on in here, not skill or brains.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your staff, be transparent about wage bandings and allow cross site teams. Glasgow is very much considered a "branch"

9. OK- I need more hours

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Three part-time

Pros

7.85 per hour. Bonuses though I dont understand how they work. Selling is hard.

Cons

16 hour contracts were only ones available where I'm from. Training is naff.

Advice to Management

More hours please

10. Brilliant

I have been working at Three full-time

Pros

Fast paced, enjoyable, changing for the better

Cons

Tends to require a high level of discretionary effort

11. Worst Job ever

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Three

Pros

Non unless you enjoy "selling" or more like coercing people into signing up for a product that they do not want, cannot afford it and do not understand it.

Cons

Everything unless you are a mindless, heartless, ruthless car sales men and then none.

Advice to Management

You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

RSS Feed </> Embed