Three Ships

Updated December 21, 2014
4.0

Three Ships Founder & CEO Zach Clayton
Zach Clayton

Totally different type of digital agency

I have been working at Three Ships full-time

Pros

Three Ships has much greater focus than a typical digital agency. It is zeroed in on data-driven digital marketing to increase web and mobile traffic generation and conversion. This focus has positive implications for employees, because there isn't a desire to be "all things to all people" (which creates weird expectations and stress).

The company backs up its commitment to innovation with investment. There is a tech team that supports the work of the SEO and Media buying. There is real emphasis on the "learning" value.

Three Ships has a history of promoting people internally, so there is upside career growth potential in the company. Expectations are high for senior roles, but I have seen several folks transition from one team to another, and be promoted.

There are lots of open meetings led by the CEO and management to discuss what we are doing. There is a business plan and it's shared with everyone in the company. This type of transparency is positive and unique.

Three Ships has financial stability and does not have Venture Capital investors. This means there are no big pivots and little drama. The company has a great group of advisors, several of whom spend time in the office periodically and are very friendly.

Cons

You need a good deal of initiative to be viewed as successful in what is an entrepreneurial culture. The company has grown quickly and has said it will continue to grow, so this creates high expectations for performance. This isn't necessarily a "con" but it is a real fact of life at Three Ships, so you should be aware of it.

The digital marketing industry is constantly changing, and that creates a need for lots of change inside company's marketing departments and digital agencies. Three Ships (and possibly digital marketing) is not a great fit for the change-adverse.

As the company transitions to a larger organization, create more clarity about career progression internally. It clearly has already happened in a big way -- but it's not easily explained.

Intensely committed to clients

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Three Ships full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Smart, articulate people in all areas of agency
    - Good growth potential at non-manager level
    - Access to tools and training; company will pay for professional development
    - High level of professionalism in work conduct
    - Managers are reasonable and flexible to change if a case is made

Overall, an intellectually demanding work environment and culture.

Cons

- Occasional long hours
    - Constantly changing processes
    - Extensive client presentation preparation

Stay true to our Values. Focus first on talent; tech comes second. Hire domain expertise and let strategy come before execution.

Smart, driven people, but mostly chaos and misdirection.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Three Ships full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many smart and talented people at Three Ships Media, and I genuinely enjoyed working with them
    Company happy hours
    Located in a great space in downtown Raleigh
    High quality of work produced on a daily basis

Cons

There are a culture of fear and intimidation at Three Ships Media
    The salary and benefits packages were not comparable to the amount of time actually spent working in the office
    Employees were constantly playing catch up to keep up with promises made to clients by management
    It seems like there is a new business plan every other month

Stop over promising deliverables to clients. Employees do have lives outside of work.

Overly stressful, very tiring place to work

Former Employee - Research in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Research in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Three Ships full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There were some very dedicated people.
    Camaraderie and company happy hours.
    Beautiful, LEED certified downtown Raleigh office space.

Cons

The CEO at the time was just out of business school. This was a huge disadvantage as I think he was too young to effectively manage an actual company.

Horrible work/life balance. I worked from 8:30am to 10pm regularly for $38k salary, no overtime, and lousy benefits. I one time worked on a project until 1am.

Most managers at the time were fresh out of Harvard Business School and had trouble setting realistic project goals.

Tried desperately to make it like a Silicon Valley startup but it just wasn't. The actual product was unreliable and the company was too cash strapped to invest in good marketing and social media trending tools for clients. I felt bad for clients paying thousands of dollars a year for digital media advice that was not accurate.

Woefully inefficient processes, poor technology. Tech and design talent was outsourced.

Rethink your company culture. Not everyone is like the CEO who literally does nothing but work.

Please hire an internal tech team to create more efficient data management and display systems. Start using Salesforce for your sales team.

Intense, Focused, Driven

I have been working at Three Ships full-time

Pros

- Actually believes in its company values. They are not just window dressing for the website. Evaluates employees and circumstances based on those values.
    - Efficient company operating system means little to no wasted time in meetings.
    - Employees are encouraged to take initiative to get things done.
    - Strong desire to improve company processes and dynamics, including policies to improve work/life balance and flexible work schedules. Some of the cons listed elsewhere on this site seem less applicable today (I started in 2013).
    - Smart, driven team that’s committed to each other and likes each other. No jerks.

Cons

- If you’re disorganized, you might feel overwhelmed and spread thin at times.
    - This is more of a start-up culture than a laid-back 9-to-5. Managing your workload and letting your manager know when you're overloaded is your responsibility.
    - The company's desire to solve big marketing challenges is itself a very ambitious challenge.

- Remain open to feedback and keep growing.

A learning and growth experience

I worked at Three Ships full-time

Pros

Every member of the Three Ships team is given the opportunity to make the experience of working in a start-up what they want. I was given the ability to try many different roles within the company and from that I learned a lot about myself and where I get the most reward from contributing to a company.

Cons

Start-ups are hard. They require team members to be extremely flexible and work on projects that will more often than not fail.

Expert Professionals Will Thrive, Others Will Not

I have been working at Three Ships full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Three Ships Media has some of the brightest minds focused on digital marketing in Raleigh -- multiple graduates from schools like Harvard and MIT. The company is bootstrapped and profitably, despite being a "start-up." Employees have an immense amount of autonomy and the ability to shape the business and their roles.

Cons

If you expect someone to tell you what to do every day - you will fail here. If you cannot put your emotions aside when someone challenges you - you will also fail. The culture is built on openness and professional rigor - so don't take a job here if you are not ready to hear feedback about how you can improve yourself and processes. I view this as a pro - but many job seekers would call this a con.

Encourage employees to be open about their problems / issues. Most friction occurs when an employee holds back his / her emotions or problems, until it becomes too late (blow-up, burn out, get fired, etc...).

Great learning experience...the grass is greener.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Three Ships part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience for those looking to get entry level experience. Great office and team (when I was there). It was exciting and fun. Learned a lot.

Cons

A lot pressure to perform quickly. You have to pay for your own parking space. I saw my peers work very hard for a not money. No options until you have done a lot of work.

Give options early with a multi year vesting period. Work on developing software versus depending on people to manage accounts. Talent may leave...software continues to work.

High-energy, high-growth work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Three Ships full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- You'll learn a ton and have countless opportunities for career growth.
    - Great energy, fast-paced
    - Focus on innovation, collaboration and new ideas
    - Emphasis on providing feedback, so you'll always know where you stand. Management also provides numerous opportunities for you to provide them with candid feedback.

Cons

- When I worked at TSM, the hours were quite long (however, I've heard from current employees that this has changed a lot), so we were spread too thin
    - They attract some of the best and brightest employees and the expectations are set high. You must be driven and assertive to thrive in the TSM culture.

I don't think I ever have, or ever will, work in another environment where the employees were so actively encouraged to help shape the business. Don't become too vertical. Continue to hold your monthly meetings, encourage discussion and embrace constructive criticism. Even on a bad day at TSM, I felt like I could approach any member of the senior management team and discuss my concerns (and they always listened objectively and took my criticisms seriously). Don't lose this part of your culture!

Fast-paced, high-intellect environment with great learning opportunities.

I have been working at Three Ships

Pros

Three Ships Media is one of the best employers if you are motivated by learning new things, analytical work, and autonomy.

Cons

Working at Three Ships Media may occasionally make employees feel "under paid." Hours are sometimes long and work environment is fast-paced. Compensation is at market rates (not low) but expectations of employees exceed most digital marketing firms.

Only advice to management would be to set better defined employee KPIs (key performance indicators). Be more transparent about the expectation of all roles / job functions.

Three Ships Photos