Three

Updated January 29, 2015
4.0

Three CEO David Dyson
David Dyson

Pros
  • It's like going to work within your extended family, a laugh, a giggle, a fun working environment (in 12 reviews)

• What's great, is that you can make a difference if you are a go getter (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Fast paced environment can lead to chaos at times (in 5 reviews)

• The pace of change and reprioritisation is sometimes exhausting (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

87 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great, empowering, progressive & customer focused company

Current Employee - Manager in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Three have really moved forward recently in terms of propositions, employee engagement, customer focus and empowering employees to reinvent the rules, and strive to make the mobile industry better. When I joined, Three were consistently the lowest rated network in terms of customer complaints, but now Three are on par with O2 with the fewest complaints per 1000 people. I truly believe this has been because of the reinvention which is encouraged, having a focused development plan in place (which is the same for everyone, from the very top, down) and by having clear and consistent brand messages portrayed across the business. You don't have to be the most successful person to feel like you've achieved something whilst working for Three.

Cons

Area managers. Read the job description online, and you'll find the Area managers will only do the opposite.

Keep doing what you're doing, and the business will only move forward.

my veiw on Three

I have been working at Three

Pros

People, benefits, realises short comings (cons) and looking to address

Cons

Disorganised, could be more effective at delivery, committee appraoch

Finance Analyst

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun. Dynamic,
    Great culture.
    Thumbs up to the SMT
    No two days are never the same

Cons

Very political . Career development is mostly about who you know and how strong you line manager can fight you corner.

Keep re-inventing the rules and make mobile better.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Livingston, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Livingston, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Three part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Constant interaction with customers
    Always learning
    Very competitive base rate pay
    Great team and individual bonuses
    Annual employee incentives (all inclusive Free holidays).
    Free phone/dongle/contract
    Very relaxed, customer focused atmosphere
    Really friendly colleagues - like a little second family.
    Flexible rotas

Cons

Can be hectic at times and so put under a lot of pressure to get the job done more quickly
    Targets can be hard to meet at points, really need to be up to the challenge.
    Some customers can be very very very angry so it's best to be a calm and composed person
    Very slow systems.

Update the systems and software

Started out fine

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Three part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most of the staff are genuinely nice people to know, the deals are usually quite competitive and offering unlimited 4g data has been a huge success and is an easy sell. Last month also had something like 79 in-house promotions which suggests great career opportunities to those that want it. The perks are great as well, a free phone with unlimited data £0 per month for example. They are also quite flexible with my hours.

Cons

Where do I start? In my interview I was sold on the great commission packages offered by Three, 2 months after starting, they all changed! We used to get paid "per box" but now its a group bonus if the store exceeds ridiculously high targets which means if for example a customer says something bad about salesman A selling him/her a phone that needs a daily charge then all the other sales associates get no bonus for the month! That means I am reliant on others to get my bonus irrelevant of my own performances. We have a sales shark instore who has never passed customer service feedback which means that basically i will just be on an hourly wage from now on. They do justify the change by saying that IF the store hits targets, you get 25% of your basic wage as a bonus each month which would work out more then the old system..

One of the targets is a customer feedback text. This is unfair, if, for example, a customer gave a bad response because on his/her way home from buying the phone, he/she dropped it and wasn't entitled to a free repair or replacement, then I would fail the test and lose my bonus. Even if my service had been exemplary. This is unfair.

I have also been ordered to sell dual sales to every person that walks through the door irrelevant to why the customer has visited the store and every morning I have to pledge a sales figure to the manager. I have to especially push a 7" tablet that is so bad I wouldn't give it to my 4 year old daughter! I am also told to push £7 sim only deals to customers who have just bought and put it into their old handset, why would anyone take that offer?

I have an insurance target despite no incentives to sell it.

There is no organisation, it took me 2 weeks of daily phone calls just to get login details to allow me to sell! This meant for the 1st 2 weeks, I was passing sales to other associates losing myself over £200 in commission.

My 12 week probationary period lasted 15 weeks as the manager wanted his assistant manager to do it as he had never done one before but he was off work sick for the extra 3 weeks.

The tills are a joke, you have 3 different systems, each with its own separate login. They don't talk to each other so you have to enter customers details into one system for a credit check, then enter them into the second system to take payment and a third system to check the customers details. If you do a dual sell, then you have to re-enter all the customers details for each credit check. And if its a dual sell and you don't put it on the same receipt then its not counted as a dual sell!

If you don't put your paperwork in the correct order (ie contract below customer details) then you get a documented discussion.

Despite being flexible with my hours, i made it clear that I couldn't work weekends I am pressured weekly to work them. I have never done my contracted hours as I am always working over them. If we are on a close, then we are only paid up until the closing time, this means if a customer enters store at 10 minutes before close and we are dealing with him/her until 30 minutes past close, then it is unpaid. If we try and claim it back we get moaned at and get told "I don't get extra for staying behind so why should you?"

Lose OSAT, have dual sells as a nice bonus instead of a major focus, this would really enhance sales as staff wouldn't feel forced to offer it causing customers to sometimes be bullied into deals and most importantly, get the old pay structure back! Why would I want to push for sales when I know, thanks to one or two certain members of staff, I am never going to get a bonus again! I only do 20 hours, the boss wants me to work more hours but as it currently stands, I am looking elsewhere for a new job!

When I 1st started here, I would have recommended this job to anybody who would listen, now I wouldn't bother.

Co-operative, innovative, fun, a bit chaotic

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun to work there, a very co-operative attitude to getting things done. Innovative - ideas are encouraged and staff empowered. Such a world of difference compared with the telco in Newbury.

Cons

A bit chaotic at times. Can be a bit unstructured but that's part of the fun.

You seem to be on the right track. Keep the right balance between introducing processes and stifling innovation and cooperation.

Proud to work for Three

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Strong vision of being re-inventors. People focused organisation. Empowerment of employees.

Cons

Bit disorganised - employed too many "friends and family" to be effective.

Keep making bold decisions

Refreshing, Bold, Dynamic, Forward Thinking

Current Employee - Customer Service in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Inventive, Challenger Mentality, Bold, Not Afraid To Upset The Apple Cart, Innovative, Forward Thinking, Ambitious, Collaborative, Honest, Truly Puts The Customer At Heart, Rewards Staff With The 'Little Things That Matter'

Cons

Holiday entitlement is much less than other companies I have worked for

Keep doing what we are doing, I believe we can be number one provider in the UK. Dave Dyson is the best CEO I have experienced, I trust him completely. Customer Service is a great place to work, Rocky is brilliant!

Nepotism Favoritism and Fraud

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Three

Pros

Decent Pay
    Some nice people (most nice people get bullied out of this company)

Cons

Forcing unwanted products
    Substandard management
    Poor customer service (Being ordered by management to send people away)
    Favoritism and Jobs for the Boys culture

Dont hire friends of people you already sacked for fraud
    Dont promote "Own Boys" entire region entangled in fraud is enough.
    Promote people that deserve it not the ones that play your game and do your Doggies...

Great Place to work; fairly flat structure

Current Employee - Network Design Engineer in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Network Design Engineer in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smallish headcount means you can get things done and not get bogged down by too much proccess or though this seems to be changing a bit.
    Management Communication is amazing with regular monthly presentations from the CEO to all staff memebers which is the best comunication i have ever recieved from management.
    People are friendly and the working environment is good with lotts of company organised activities such as canooing, climbing, baking.

Cons

Level of Process seems to be increasing to the detriment of project timelines and cost increases.
    Pay is skewed to a low base pay but large bonus which makes it harder to budget month to month. would prefer a larger salary and smaller Bonus.